1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured To my Jewish friends on this forum...

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Ashoka, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Snow White

Snow White Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,391
    Religion:
    Spiritual
    Hi. I got your DM as well as your message here.

My main religious identity, I would describe as "follower of Wicca". Secondary would be that I kind of have been following the New Age movement lately. Third is more of an influence - I've got back to having some Hindu influences, even after the whole year I was following Hinduism, and after I said I was leaving it to get a better understanding of Wicca.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,000
    Religion:
    none
    Something like "expert in field X getting corrected by Dunning-Kruger victim"?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +4,001
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Yes, of course. But whadayagonna do?

4. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Religion:
    Christian
    It can only get better. Either more people will believe as you do and you will have company or you will stop believing as you do and won't feel so alone.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Religion:
    Christian
    :)

6. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,423
    Religion:
    Judaism
    "their scripture"

7. DNB

DNB Christian

Ratings:
    +463
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Explain that to God - why He threw a curve-ball in regard to His sublime will and prerogative.
    Some understand His wisdom, and His need to be discreet and indirect at times, and His innate necessity to be unpredictable to man.

8. DNB

DNB Christian

Ratings:
    +463
    Religion:
    Christianity
    ...and we've all heard your interpretation of the Christian Scriptures,. ..which position is worthy of more indignation: Christians on Judaism, or Pantheists on Christianity, ...or any other theistic religion?

Thanks @Kenny for prompting this awareness (hypocrisy) to us on Ashoka's part!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. sun rise

sun rise Śvāna Dharma
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,583
    Religion:
    Love/Omnism
    To be a devil's advocate just a bit, what's wrong with someone offering an opinion about another person's scriptures and beliefs? Of course it can be from an egoistic point-of-view akin to mansplaining but it could also be a sincere insight that just might have value.

If nothing else, a challenge might just result in the one challenged becoming more informed about their own understanding of their religion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. JDMS

JDMS Academic Workhorse

Ratings:
    +418
    While faith cannot be corrected, and anyone of any religion can believe what they wish about their religion, there is a point where a practitioner strays from the orthodox or orthoprax of the original religion. Someone educated on the orthodox of that religion might attempt to "correct" you since they are coming at it from a different angle.

If you try to argue that your divergent view of a scriptural passage or tradition is the REAL way or the orthodox way, when the majority of experts disagree with you, then you can't really be surprised when someone tries to argue with it.

But if someone is just trying to argue that you don't have the right to diverge from the scriptures, and perform your faith how you see fit, then you can tell 'em to buzz off!

• Like Like x 1
  11. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,382
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    IMHO:
    That is called spiritual arrogance in my book, which is called a major vice
    This is rampant nowadays and this type of arrogance is very hard to overcome

The annoying part is that they belittle the Faith of others
    Lacking humbleness they refuse to phrase it as their opinion

Hence evangelizing, belittling others, is one of the worst of "sins" IMO
    The moment you believe "my way is the highway" you exhibit this vice

12. Ehav4Ever

Ehav4Ever Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    After almost 1,700 years of such I think some of us Jews have just gotten used to it. Others of us just ignore it, now that we no longer live under regimes that force us to interact with them on this issue more options are available to us. There was a time where Jews were forced to be a part of such a discussions. See the videos at the bottom of my post.

I take it from a little bit different angle, living in the modern time we live in. It is a little difficult to get annoyed when someone says they understand something better when they read it with translations geared towards their bias while I and other Jews like me read from the text in the language it was originally written in.

Thus, if I were to enter into such a "discussion" the first thing I say is, "If they can't read the below and I can, then there is no discussion."
    upload_2022-11-21_5-57-25.png

I would further state to them, "We are not in a competition and we Jews don't want to change their minds. They can beleive whatever they want, no matter how much it contradicts the Hebrew text, logic, and fluffy pillows in the Negev desert. If they do them and we do us then life will be great for everyone. Now let's just move on and enjoy life. La la la la la la!"

On a side note, you may find the following interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ehav4Ever

Ehav4Ever Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper RF's resident Beatlemaniac. ☮ and ❤

Ratings:
    +4,159
    Religion:
    Wicca, Polytheism, and Spiritualism.
    I have never challenged any Jewish members about their scriptures or beliefs, but I have disagreed with a few Bahá'is over a specific belief of their religion and explained why I disagreed with this belief. As a former Christian, I have had disagreements with Christians regarding the Bible, the nature of God, and other topics related to Christianity. I don't see this as an issue like the one you described, though, because I was a Christian for 30 years, and I read the Bible several times and studied Christian theology during these years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +4,001
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I realize that Christians have appropriated the Jewish sacred texts, but the Tanakh is still OUR scriptures. That's the whole point of this thread.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Non-debating member when I can help myself

Ratings:
    +2,950
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    You are entitled to your opinion, and so are we.:p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Religion:
    Christian
  18. The Kilted Heathen

The Kilted Heathen Crow FreyjasmaðR

Ratings:
    +3,602
    Religion:
    Heathenry
    Ah, but we're all going to Hel. Don't worry, it's rather peaceful, and I've heard tale that the goddess is a wonderful hostess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. The Kilted Heathen

The Kilted Heathen Crow FreyjasmaðR

Ratings:
    +3,602
    Religion:
    Heathenry
    Oh, but it's so much more than just a "fulfilment of prophecy". That's just the New Testament that you all would be going on about, which I imagine a Jew would view as just so many fairy tales and Paul talking out his brown-town express.

No, the bigger problem, I imagine, would be what you all think the Old Testament says, relying entirely on shoddy translations swayed heavily by political movements, as well as retroactively influenced by even more shoddy Greek to Latin to English translations of the New Testament also influenced in no small part by politics and in-fighting. Then treating this hideous Frankenstein's Monster as though it's the definitive version of those stories when they're more comparable to Marvel Comics take on Norse mythology.

• Like Like x 2
  20. cOLTER

cOLTER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +936
    Religion:
    Disciple
    There are different schools of thought within Judaism itself concerning the interpretation of scripture. Christianity developed around the teachings of a particular Jewish guy.

You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things?

After being rejected and killed by his own, the followers of Jesus forced him into scriptures that were NOT about him causing more confusion.