• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To learn english fluently

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I want to learn english fluently. Do you have some tips to learn english fluently?

By the way I often use google translate when i am writing here. So I am not so good in english as it seems

Thank you for any advice :blush:

Viker

Häxan
I want to learn english fluently. Do you have some tips to learn english fluently?

By the way I often use google translate when i am writing here. So I am not so good in english as it seems

So far you are doing fine. I always understand what you are saying.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Practice here with us! :D

Perhaps you could open a journal thread, and post there on random things without using Google Translate. Those of us who speak English well enough could guide you with corrections and suggestions.

Starlight

Practice here with us! :D

Perhaps you could open a journal thread, and post there on random things without using Google Translate. Those of us who speak English well enough could guide you with corrections and suggestions.
What a good idea. I will do it

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@Starlight

You do very well, i have no trouble understanding you anyway.

Chatting to English speakers is good practice so just keep doing what you are doing.

You may be more advanced than this but what i find useful is... Some newspapers publish a list of the 200/500/1000 most common words they use. Download a list, go through Google translate to march them to words of your own language.

You wind up with a list of the most common words used, learn them.

The vast majority of people get by with less than 1000 words and hold perfectly good conversations.

Starlight

@Starlight

You do very well, i have no trouble understanding you anyway.

Chatting to English speakers is good practice so just keep doing what you are doing.

You may be more advanced than this but what i find useful is... Some newspapers publish a list of the 200/500/1000 most common words they use. Download a list, go through Google translate to march them to words of your own language.

You wind up with a list of the most common words used, learn them.

The vast majority of people get by with less than 1000 words and hold perfectly good conversations.
Thank you for your advice

Heyo

Veteran Member

I had English at school but languages weren't my forté back then. When I started studying CS, I recognized that all the books were in English - and I learned about an interesting thing: the internet. (At that time that meant Usenet.) Except for the basics I've learned English through books, comix and Usenet. I still have a dictionary open at all times I'm posting here and I still have to look up a word at least once a week. (But so do native speakers, sometimes words I use.)
I think the best way to learn a language is by using it.

Starlight

I had English at school but languages weren't my forté back then. When I started studying CS, I recognized that all the books were in English - and I learned about an interesting thing: the internet. (At that time that meant Usenet.) Except for the basics I've learned English through books, comix and Usenet. I still have a dictionary open at all times I'm posting here and I still have to look up a word at least once a week. (But so do native speakers, sometimes words I use.)
I think the best way to learn a language is by using it.
You are very good in english. You sound like a native speaker in english. Thank you for your advice

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Spend a summer, or if you really want to be reminded of home a winter, in Minnesota. It is a state with high percentage of Norwegians and many will want to use you as a sounding board when it comes to speaking in Norwegian. You will have to correct each other and both parties will learn,

But seriously, if you can immerse yourself in a culture that is English speaking that may be the fastest way to learn.

Heyo

Veteran Member
You are very good in english. You sound like a native speaker in english. Thank you for your advice
I almost always had "D"s in school. (That's a "3" in Norway.) I only really learned after school, just by reading and writing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Starlight

Following on from my previous post, i have just checked, there are several sites with word list, you may find this one useful.

Common Words: 1000 of the most used words in English
Nice, but one of the problems of English is shown in the first ten words. "To" and "too" are both in the top ten, and as homophones can be confusing.

One other pair that I can think of confuses even natives. People often misuse "I" and "me", at least in the US. To me it is extremely annoying to hear some people say "Me and some friends went to the movies". That sort of error is made far too often. To know if it is I or me simply dump the friends:

Me went to the movies.

Nice, sounds like a three year old.

I went to the movies.

Aah, now I can relax.

lukethethird

unknown member
Nice, but one of the problems of English is shown in the first ten words. "To" and "too" are both in the top ten, and as homophones can be confusing.

One other pair that I can think of confuses even natives. People often misuse "I" and "me", at least in the US. To me it is extremely annoying to hear some people say "Me and some friends went to the movies". That sort of error is made far too often. To know if it is I or me simply dump the friends:

Me went to the movies.

I went to the movies.

Aah, now I can relax.
Me no like.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Me went to the movies.

I went to the movies.

Aah, now I can relax.

It's all part of learning the language

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

- Be patient with the dictionary. Trust me: it will help a lot not just with vocabulary but with sentence structure if you also read example sentences for word definitions. Don't skip new words; always look them up or at least note them somewhere until you can look them up.

- Watch movies and YouTube videos from native or fluent speakers. They can help not only with listening but also with formulating sentences and knowing when to use different expressions in various situations.

- Chat and post online. I didn't need to speak much English until around 2018, and that was when I realized that text chats and forum posts had made it effortless for me to speak. My brain had gotten used to stringing sentences together, so speaking was just a matter of uttering them.

- Don't assume that everything a native speaker says or writes is correct or commonly used. A lot of native speakers make mistakes too, and some also use very uncommon dialects or expressions.

- Make it a habit to think in English rather than your native language when you're in a situation where you want or need to speak English. This can eliminate the delay between translating a thought in your head and speaking it.

- Practice, practice, practice. Language will give you as much as you give it. It needs patience, but the payoff is more than worth it.

Good luck! :)