• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Hell With Hell

Skwim

Veteran Member
An alternative destination is accomplished. Humans were created to live forever with God and enjoy His love, but love is a choice. Some prefer to reject the love and blessings God has for those who want to live in His eternal presence, as satan has. So hell is the alternative option.
And for those who having never heard of the choice, or remain unconvinced by god's inept preachers, deserve the option of hell? Of course, because if nothing else Jehovah is a loving and just god. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
According to Baha’u’llah ....

They say: “Where is Paradise, and where is Hell?” Say: “The one is reunion with Me; the other thine own self, ( Book of Certitude)

So my understanding is it more refers to hell as being the ego dominating our lives and that can apply to anyone religious or not.
But that's not what you said. This is what you said ... "Hell in my religion is disbelief in God and heaven to acknowledge Him."

So are you now withdrawing this statement?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
But that's not what you said. This is what you said ... "Hell in my religion is disbelief in God and heaven to acknowledge Him."

So are you now withdrawing this statement?

That’s the reason I prefer to use quotes. Just refer to Baha’u’llah’s quote not mine.

So, ya gots yer choice. ;) Which is the nice thing about the bible: Don't like what a verse says in a particular translation, you can always go elsewhere to find a translation that better fits your theology.

In these cases, I think the best thing is to look what the most original version says. And in this case, I think it says Hades.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Well, regardless of how or who might have invented the concept, it still remains a central point in religion to this very day. There must be a reason for this.
I find the reason for a ' burning hell ' comes from religious-myth teachings outside of Scripture.
Especially when un-faithful Jews began mixing with Greek philosophy that put flames in biblical hell.
So, the concept of an eternal burning hell comes from a concept outside of Scripture, but just taught as Scripture.
The ' central point ' is that the Bible's hell is only temporary, and is mankind's stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead.
So, we are dealing with two (2) hell concepts:
* Man's ideas outside of Scripture but just being taught as being Scripture
* God's idea inside of Scripture that everyone in ' biblical hell ' will be ' delivered up ' ( resurrected out of hell ).
Revelation 20:13-14 teaches us that after everyone is resurrected ( delivered up ) then emptied-out hell is going to be cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated biblical hell.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
In these cases, I think the best thing is to look what the most original version says. And in this case, I think it says Hades.

Hades/ haides is from the Greek
Sheol is the word from the original Hebrew.
Sheol is just the grave for the sleeping dead.
So, dead righteous Jesus was in the grave - Acts of the Apostles 2:27 - although KJV uses the English word hell.
Since Jesus and the OT teach ' sleep in death ' ( Not pain in death ) then hell is the temporary sleeping place (grave).
If biblical hell was permanent and burning then dead Jesus would still be on fire.
- see John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The word is actually Hades in that, not hell.
…and the sea did give up those dead in it, and the death and the hades did give up the dead in them, and they were judged, each one according to their works; and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire--this is the second death;
Rev. 20:13-14

Hades is the Greek word for the English word hell.
Sheol is the Hebrew word for the English word hell.
Please notice the word Gehenna is Not used.
Gehenna is the word often translated into English as hell fire.
The sea ( people who are buried at sea ) and death and hades ( the grave, Not Gehenna ) give up the dead.
KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as: hell fire.
Gehenna was a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed forever and Not burning forever .
Thus, Gehenna is the fitting word for destruction, or as Psalms 92:7 says the wicked are: destroyed forever.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In these cases, I think the best thing is to look what the most original version says.
Why? Do you think I'm more proficient at translating ancient languages than Biblical scholars?

And in this case, I think it says Hades.
What "it"? As I pointed out in post #76, there are all kinds of translations used in the verse:

"Hades"
"hell"
"underworld"
"Sheol"
"world of the dead"
"the grave"
"its kingdom"
Take your pick. :shrug:

"Hades"
"hell"
"underworld"
"Sheol"
"world of the dead"
"the grave"
"its kingdom"
Take your pick. :shrug:

The meaning of the word “hades” is “underworld”, “world of the dead”, “grave”. So that is my pick.

Hades is the Greek word for the English word hell.

Maybe that is true in many cases. However, Bible has different meaning for hell than for hades. For example, because:

Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. If anyone was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the lake of fire.
Revelation 20:12-15

Hades is thrown to fire lake, called “Gehenna”.

If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having your two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire,
Mark 9:43

And “Gehenna” is usually what hell means. But, I don’t have problem, if you want to call them with different names. More important is what they mean. Fire lake is the end solution for all evil.