• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To both practicing Jews and christians

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am thinking the original Torah according to Judaism has not been translated into English. As for I assume that even though translations are available none can surpass the original.

The NT, to Christians, was written by multiple people both Roman and Jew. Yet, from what I gather copies are mixed around and people are saying "No the vigate is the original" no no no "its the king james version" but wait, the "geneva bible is the key" and so forth.

I admit Im no theologian but even they may scratch their heads over authenticity. Even more so, finding actual writings of jesus and not going by his disciples word.

In one setence, I trust the Jews. Dont ask me why. Just makes more sense.

Jews am I right in my assumption that you have parts of the original Torah?

Christians why would you trust translators rather than people who speak to this day native hebrew?

No language is translated 100 percent to another language. This I know.

If Jews have the original and they speak Hebrew, Id side with their interpretation of their own language than King James for example who may have smarts but not native to the hebrew language.

Last edited:

rosends

A religious text like the torah cannot be translated. It can be explained. Often the explanation includes taking a word from one language into another, but more often, explanation is about taking words and converting them into expanded and explicated ideas which look at the word, the spelling, the context and other factors in trying to...um...divine authorial intent. So no singular translation (either word for word, phrase by phrase or concept by concept) can accurately reflect the depth and potential depth of the original.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A religious text like the torah cannot be translated. It can be explained. Often the explanation includes taking a word from one language into another, but more often, explanation is about taking words and converting them into expanded and explicated ideas which look at the word, the spelling, the context and other factors in trying to...um...divine authorial intent. So no singular translation (either word for word, phrase by phrase or concept by concept) can accurately reflect the depth and potential depth of the original.

Do you (jewish community as a whole) have the original Torah?

rosends

Do you (jewish community as a whole) have the original Torah?
A central belief in Orthodox Judaism is that the text that we have is pretty much the torah as it was given all those years ago. There are plenty of discussions about subtley variant texts and missing letters but the general idea is that, yes, the torah text is the way it has always been.

SpeaksForTheTrees

I am thinking the original Torah according to Judaism has not been translated into English. As for I assume that even though translations are available none can surpass the original.

The NT, to Christians, was written by multiple people both Roman and Jew. Yet, from what I gather copies are mixed around and people are saying "No the vigate is the original" no no no "its the king james version" but wait, the "geneva bible is the key" and so forth.

I admit Im no theologian but even they may scratch their heads over authenticity. Even more so, finding actual writings of jesus and not going by his disciples word.

Christians why would you trust translators rather than people who speak to this day native hebrew?

If Jews have the original and they speak Hebrew, Id side with their interpretation of their own language than King James for example who may have smarts but not native to the hebrew language.
YHWH is correct? is only for Jewish , the romans trash belisama , I believe god is for ALL and can be claimed by none and christian only bus to god for those who are gentile ,is subjective life of Jesus

300px-decc81dicace_de_segomaros_inscription_gallo-grecque.png

640px-saint-lizier_-_pont_de_saint-lizier_-_20110309_1.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Language cannot be interpreted? Cannot be translated? If that is the case, then the early Bibles , being not written in Hebrew, would be impossible for Jews to argue? Do you notice the flaws in your argument?
Actually, if Judaism cannot argue the non-Hebrew portions of the Scripture, then you would have a argument formula that might actually make sense/even if wrong.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Revelation 3:9 I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars--I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

Modern Rabbinic Judaism is based on Pharisaic Judaism, which includes oral tradition that Yeshua said was made up by man.

The modern understanding means they're not even properly sure how to pronounce YHVH's name correctly, they're just guessing.

Now admittingly someone who speaks the language, you'd think would have a better understanding of the translation; yet there are numerous errors based on bias of not wanting prophecy fulfilled the way it has, and to suit an agenda.
Also are you only meaning the Torah or the whole Tanakh (old testament)?
Because some of the translations are pretty decent, though i use the KJV+ in Esword a lot of the time, as you can check every word with a Strongs reference, linking to all dictionaries, etc....

Recently recognized that the World English Bible more or less does an accurate Job of translating what is there...

Whereas the Jewish translations have their own bias, like christian versions do...

Surprised we've not got a Muslim translation already with its own biases.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
YHWH is correct? is only for Jewish , the romans trash belisama , I believe god is for ALL and can be claimed by none and christian only bus to god for those who are gentile ,is subjective life of Jesus

300px-decc81dicace_de_segomaros_inscription_gallo-grecque.png

640px-saint-lizier_-_pont_de_saint-lizier_-_20110309_1.jpg
We would hope that people can choose their own religion. People convert to both Christianity, and Judaism.

SpeaksForTheTrees

We would hope that people can choose their own religion. People convert to both Christianity, and Judaism.
Yeah is same god must be unless we go back poly , so it don't matter to Christians never been an issue , however you are gentile not of the book per se
Trying to avoid this day not for my sakes
iron_trooper_by_nauvasca-d5o9t3g.jpg

Last edited:

SpeaksForTheTrees

1) to establish courts of justice; 2) not to commit blasphemy; 3) not to commit idolatry; 4) not to commit incest and adultery; 5) not to commit bloodshed; 6) not to commit robbery; and 7) not to eat flesh cut from a living animal.
Non can live to gentile standards ffs

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Language cannot be interpreted? Cannot be translated? If that is the case, then the early Bibles , being not written in Hebrew, would be impossible for Jews to argue? Do you notice the flaws in your argument?
Actually, if Judaism cannot argue the non-Hebrew portions of the Scripture, then you would have a argument formula that might actually make sense/even if wrong.

Please reread my post and dont red bold.

To all: when you red bold or bold reply it distracts the reader from the authors intent hence defensiveness for no real reason but text color.

No language is translated 100 percent correct. If Jews actually have the original Torah and knowing King James (for example) does not, why would I believe the King James Bible is correct in relaying events from OT scripture?

I trust native hebrew speakers know mpre about the nitty gritty context of their language than a fluent translator who is neither native in hebrew nor had upbringing in hebrew language.

As for latian and aramic, I never heard anyone native to those languages possess the original copies of the Vulgate etc. So, I can only assume Jews get their scripture second hand through authors of Torah. Christians third hand god~>jesus->disciples then through translaters and finally christians.

How can you trust what you read?

Last edited:

SpeaksForTheTrees

The ignorant are sometimes nice people wouldn't take your shirt and be right behind you when you need them is what I've learned the nice ones , rest of it doesn't matter after that call it tribal whatever .
Christianity a subjective account if you can't comprehend it in a world with other religions then jog on is not for you , sometime to me like it is the lesser of the evils specially when one feels entitled to throw first.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Its a love hate thing anyone touches anything in holy city Christians be over there in a flash.
You don't understand we guard gods law .
Really christian never hurt a brother smoke of war , was unintended , but is way it is . Crusades was against Islam , Jewish kinda got in the way , but look at Israel today Christians do this
You don't understand and sometime they forget

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Taking away bias comments so I can learn...
Modern Rabbinic Judaism is based on Pharisaic Judaism, which includes oral tradition that Yeshua said was made up by man.

The modern understanding means they're not even properly sure how to pronounce YHVH's name correctly, they're just guessing.

Now admittingly someone who speaks the language, you'd think would have a better understanding of the translation; yet there are numerous errors based on bias of not wanting prophecy fulfilled the way it has, and to suit an agenda.

Why would you say they are made up by man? All written language has a "man" author and he or she has their own bias when translating. No one is perfect; no one.

How do you know they dont have a better understanding? Thats a bold claim when I assume you arent part of the Jewish community nor native to hebrew language tp defend yourself if I said the same thing to you.

I cant learn from comments like this.

Also are you only meaning the Torah or the whole Tanakh (old testament)?

First five books of the OT in Judaism not in Christian scripture.

Im pretty simple with my OPs.

Why wouls you trust any English translation? And wouldnt it be worth while to take Jewish view into consideration? He may not be a theologian but like a Spanish person teaching English class, she may know English fluently back and forth but the 100 percent context of any language is best understood by native speakers whether they are of that nationality or raised in it.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Please reread my post and dont red bold.

To all: when you red bold or bold reply it distracts the reader from the authors intent hence defensiveness for no real reason but text color.

No language is translated 100 percent correct. If Jews actually have the original Torah and knowing King James (for example) does not, why would I believe the King James Bible is correct in relaying events from OT scripture?

I trust native hebrew speakers know mpre about the nitty gritty context of their language than a fluent translator who is neither native in hebrew nor had upbringing in hebrew language.

As for latian and aramic, I never heard anyone native to those languages possess the original copies of the Vulgate etc. So, I can only assume Jews get their scripture second hand through authors of Torah. Christians third hand god~>jesus->disciples then through translaters and finally christians.

How can you trust what you read?
I don't mind what colours they wear , more to aim for

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
These (edit) The OP are assumptions not statements as facts.

How can Jesus be only for the Jewish when Jews dont recognize him and in scripture got him crucified?

Who or what is a balisama?

My overall OP point is, I trust the Jews because they dont have as many middle man. And how does a christian trust thr NT when even before it got in written form, people were fussing about what Jesus actually said?

SpeaksForTheTrees

These are assumptions not statements as facts.

How can Jesus be only for the Jewish when Jews dont recognize him and in scripture got him crucified?

Who or what is a balisama?

My overall OP point is, I trust the Jews because they dont have as many middle man. And how does a christian trust thr NT when even before it got in written form, people were fussing about what Jesus actually said?
OK choose Jewish but just remember if you fail the 10 commandments , stone yourself as that's what the law would demand in 100% Jewish world .

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
OK choose Jewish but just remember if you fail the 10 commandments , stone yourself as that's what the law would demand in 100% Jewish world .

I dont remember any Jew telling me that was his faith.. breaking the commandments wipl get you stoned. Instead, (unless properly corrected) like Catholics, they ask god for repentence I assume to a Rabbi but not in the manner of depending on the priest for absolution.

Think youre in the wrong century.