• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Blaspheme or not to Blaspheme?

Select the ones that agree with you

• 01: Muslims who kill over blasphemy (draw picture Muhammad) act wrong

• 02: I don't agree with such Muslim Blasphemy Laws

• 03: Such Muslim Blasphemy Laws violate human rights

• 04: I agree with Macron fighting against (religious) extremism

• 05: All should be free to draw Muhammad if they want

• 06: Muslims who kill over blasphemy (draw picture Muhammad) don't act wrong

• 07: I agree with such Muslim Blasphemy Laws

• 08:Such Muslim Blasphemy Laws don't violate human rights

• 09: I don't agree with Macron fighting against (religious) extremism

• 10: All should not be free to draw Muhammad if they want

Results are only viewable after voting.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Can i ask, what do you win by mocking or say blasphemy about other people or religious leaders? What do you gain?

Freedom. Power against those attempting to impose their beliefs on others.

The wrongness of these killings can be countered by mockery. That is a legitimate way to fight such terror.

The mockery of the beliefs themselves serves a similar purpose: to distinguish the silliness of the beliefs and frame the discussion.

Also, not all art is a matter of what is 'gained'. Sometimes an idea just needs to be expressed.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I don't know what a macron is, though. Explain?
Google gave me this:
A macron (/ˈmækrɒn, ˈmeɪ-/) is a diacritical mark: it is a straight bar (¯) placed above a letter, usually a vowel. ... It now more often marks a long vowel. In the International Phonetic Alphabet, the macron is used to indicate a mid-tone; the sign for a long vowel is instead a modified triangular colon ⟨ː⟩.

A what?? I don't understand a word of that.
I had to read it twice before getting it

I did get a person: French President Emmanuel Macron spoke at length with an Arab broadcaster to defend his comments on Islam. He said he understood why ...
I got that one too, while Googling, but thought it was too obvious, hence I went for the other one; also as you changed "Macron" to "macron"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Freedom. Power against those attempting to impose their beliefs on others.

The wrongness of these killings can be countered by mockery. That is a legitimate way to fight such terror.

The mockery of the beliefs themselves serves a similar purpose: to distinguish the silliness of the beliefs and frame the discussion.

Also, not all art is a matter of what is 'gained'. Sometimes an idea just needs to be expressed.
If the mocking stopped do you not think the evil deeds would stop too? Maybe it happens because some muslims feel targeted no matter what they say or do?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Google gave me this:

I had to read it twice before getting it

I got that one too, while Googling, but thought it was too obvious, hence I went for the other one; also as you changed "Macron" to "macron"

OOooh "a written or printed mark (¯) used to indicate a long vowel in some languages and phonetic transcription systems, or a stressed vowel in verse."

The rest of the definition you put on this threw me off.

stvdv

The wrongness of these killings can be countered by mockery
Also I can prove that drawing Muhammad is not blasphemy

As Hinduism encourage drawing the picture of a Master, including Muhammad, because by drawing your Master you increase Love in you. Love is clearly missing in these Muslims shouting to kill those who draw Muhammad, and actually kill them even

I suggest a minor change in this Blasphemy Law, being "all are encouraged to draw Muhammad to develop Love in themselves"

So, it is a fact that drawing Muhammad is beneficial

PureX

Veteran Member
If his wife is a public figure, yes.

Look up the case of Larry Flint in the Supreme Court sometime.
But his attachment is personal.

Though I take your point. A public figure will have all sorts of 'attachments' that vary greatly from person to person. And so, then, will the causes of offense. There is no way we can accommodate all of them, and so we're going to have to learn to allow for the variations, through some form of 'blanket forgiveness'.

stvdv

Maybe it is to express the ultimate humanity of even central religious figures and the beauty of sexuality.

Maybe I want to put it up in my living room.

What does it matter? I should still be allowed to paint it and sell it if there is a buyer. I should be allowed to dsiplay it if there is a place that want to display it. Or, I should be allowed to put it up in my own studio and display it if I wish.

Art is frequently offensive to some. That is part of its value: to shake people out of their molds and get them to see another perspective.
And it is just that simple. That these Muslims don't get this, means they are blinded by Muhammad and/or Imams or their own interpretation

PureX

Veteran Member
And it is just that simple. That these Muslims don't get this, means they are blinded by Muhammad and/or Imams or their own interpretation
They are blinded by their own passion for that particular subject. As is common among we humans. Nevertheless, that does not excuse them, or anyone else, for destructive reactions.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
They are blinded by their own passion for that particular subject. As is common among we humans. Nevertheless, that does not excuse them, or anyone else, for destructive reactions.
Strange that non believers can do all the mocking they want, but if a believer say something "negative " about atheists then oohh its so bad, where is the logic in that?

stvdv

They are blinded by their own passion for that particular subject. As is common among we humans.
Blinded is one thing, but not seeing that killing is wrong is of a whole other dimension

stvdv

OOooh "a written or printed mark (¯) used to indicate a long vowel in some languages and phonetic transcription systems, or a stressed vowel in verse."

The rest of the definition you put on this threw me off.
I did like this part "In the International Phonetic Alphabet, the macron is used to indicate a mid-tone"
Macron is in this whole debacle the mid-tone, to balance the out of balance-tones

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Strange that non believers can do all the mocking they want, but if a believer say something "negative " about atheists then oohh its so bad, where is the logic in that?

Both sides have the right to criticize, mock, and disagree with the other. Both sides have the right to say that the mockery hurts their feelings and ask for an apology. Both sides have the right to refuse such an apology.

And, both sides have the right to expect no nut will shoot them for their beliefs.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Both sides have the right to criticize, mock, and disagree with the other. Both sides have the right to say that the mockery hurts their feelings and ask for an apology. Both sides have the right to refuse such an apology.

And, both sides have the right to expect no nut will shoot them for their beliefs.
I do agree we are all have a right to believe what we do, but in my book mocking is wrong, that is a big reason why i have stopped my "quest" to stop atheism. That thought i had was so wrong, i can not tell others what is right for them, but i can stand up for the values i believe in my self.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If the mocking stopped do you not think the evil deeds would stop too? Maybe it happens because some muslims feel targeted no matter what they say or do?

And maybe the problem is in them and not in the rest of society?

No, I do not think the evil deeds would stop if the 'mocking' stopped. Those who commit these deeds would simply find another reason to feel insulted.

Do you think the mocking would stop if the evil deeds stopped?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I do agree we are all have a right to believe what we do, but in my book mocking is wrong, that is a big reason why i have stopped my "quest" to stop atheism. That thought i had was so wrong, i can not tell others what is right for them, but i can stand up for the values i believe in my self.

And, as I have said, humor and even mockery have been powerful forces for fighting against oppressors. They are powerful ways to express opposition to a viewpoint or world view. And they are powerful ways to show the silliness of some viewpoints.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And maybe the problem is in them and not in the rest of society?

No, I do not think the evil deeds would stop if the 'mocking' stopped. Those who commit these deeds would simply find another reason to feel insulted.

Do you think the mocking would stop if the evil deeds stopped?
Yes i believe the mocking would stop if those who do evil deeds stopped their wrongdoing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And, as I have said, humor and even mockery have been powerful forces for fighting against oppressors. They are powerful ways to express opposition to a viewpoint or world view. And they are powerful ways to show the silliness of some viewpoints.
Isnt mocking a way of oppression toward those who are mocced?

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheists can be 'passionate', too. In the end, we're going to have to try and accept that we aren't all passionate about the same things, or in the same direction. Offenses are bound to occur, and we've got to learn to make allowances for them. On the other hand, offending people just for the sake of offending them, or to puff oneself up at their expense is also commonplace, and should be chastised for the petty bullying that it is.