• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sealchan

In fact I would say I do argue against the rationality of most of the people on this planet in this particular area. With anything you point to (besides maybe anecdotal accounts) that is supposedly "evidence" for God, if being rational, you have to admit that with as tenuous a link (whatever it is) has to God, it could also be evidence for any number of other things that have just as strong (if not stronger) connection to the proposed evidence.

For example... someone points to nature and its wonders and says that it is evidence for God. In the same, EXACT way, could this not also be evidence for the existence of an actual, anthropomorphic "Mother Nature?" Why couldn't we propose that? it has JUST AS MUCH ADHERENCE TO OBSERVABLE, TESTABLE REALITY AS DOES GOD. So, someone's evidence in this case, with as weak as "God's" claim on the evidence is, could be re-appropriated as evidence for any number of other barely substantiated things. And you can't knock them! Otherwise you're going to have to admit that your own claim to the "evidence" doesn't hold up. But do theists ever admit such a thing? If they have, it is a rare occurrence... and I certainly haven't been there to witness it. It would be rather like some sort of miracle.

I can't dispute you, but I think that what is in need of understanding is that two rational systems of cognition are being employed unconsciously. This is, perhaps, a remarkable claim and I have not encountered others to make it so bear with me...

Evidence in a values based vs a logic based argue has two different connotations and will typically result in mutual misunderstanding. We all generally think that rationality has one basic "operating system" to put it in terms of computers but it has two in my view. As an atheist speaks to a believer and if both buy into the idea that they are having a "nice, rational discussion" then they are likely to be making an unconscious mistake. While the believer thinks about all that is important and valuable and all those others with which he shares this sense of importance and value, the atheist is probably thinking about how many factual assumptions and literary techniques the believer is using to try and make their case. While the atheist is using logic and evidence in order to indicate that God doesn't need to be "in the picture", the believer is thinking about how empty and vacuous and impersonal that atheist is being and doesn't quite believe that the atheist can be so cold and distant.

The problem isn't with either persons rationality but with a failure to recognize that the basis of that rationality comes down to a core cognitive style difference between the two.

This is not say that all atheist are "thinking" types and all believers are "feeling" types. A single individual can successfully, inwardly validate both modes of rationality and support two overlapping but conflicting views to a large extent especially when they are aware and convinced that this is, in fact, the norm for human cognition and personality. Some might call this cognitive dissonance but there is, in the human brain, a method of reconciling disparate neural impulses coming from the same external sensory stimulus that is analogous to this and is probably also relevant to how many unconsciously or intuitively reconcile such a duality in their overall outlook on life and truth.

So to speak to your point more directly...the feeling type of rationality is less concerned about whether something is called God or Mother Nature than it is in recognizing the importance of what that word refers to. "Quibbling" about the word is merely trying to wrestle away from the believer a meaning for a specific word that he or she knows there exists a large community that understanding, just as they do, what this word refers to. With such a "clever" trick they just feel that the atheist is trying to destroy what is obviously meaningful by using some "slipperiness" of language (to borrow a term from Hofstadter) that isn't really important in and of itself.

But for the thinker the terms are vastly important! "Of course there is a distinction between Mother Nature and God and how can you, Mr. Believer, stand there and continue to believe when you can't make an argument that can distinguish between the two?!" says the logician. And they would be quite right. But the believer is still left with the deep, value-based satisfaction of the importance of God and all of the atheist-thinkers "little mental tricks" doesn't ever really address that.

Over time this gap between feeling and thinking rationality causes some alarming mutual encroachments. Consider the vacuity of Intelligent Design...that is a feeling based belief creating a pseudo thinking based "theory" in supposed opposition to and equality with the scientific theory of Evolution. Also consider the number of people who are willing to reject rational, provable truth in the political realm in favor of some groups affinity for traditional religious teachings. As hard as this is to accept, especially in the U.S., there are a lot of people who have deep value systems that are tied to inflexible religious and political attitudes.

But with all that, science, in its rapid advancement, creates a wake of meaninglessness in its mountains of truth that we, as a society, may be struggling to digest. Some reject the food, others find it hard to swallow, still others revel in it. Collectively it takes time and effort to grow out of our old sense of values and this, in some part, is a multi-generational effort. As with the #MeToo movement and rape cultures often see what is right long before they can institutionally support what is right. This is, to put it simply, because we cannot abandon our own sense of what gives life meaning once we have established a value-based rationality for what that is.

The dichotomy between "the head and the heart" is beginning to be scientifically understood in the last century. Aside from CG Jung's psychological typology (see his Psychological Types or take the familiar personality test Myers-Briggs Type Indicator or Keirsey Temperament Sorter) we have the research of Antonio Damasio made popularly accessible in his Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason and the Human Brain for signs that this dual mode of rationality is a fact of our brain activity and psychological dispositions.

Anyway that my personal ideology on all this.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Oh Christ. Alright, I'll bite. What is Divine Sense and how does one learn it?

P.S. Please, nobody respond to Sustainer, he's a thread troll. All he does is say stupid things so people will respond. He get's off on responses.

Oh no need to bite. It is a very simple line. When people develop clearvoyance or have dreams or hear voices the scriptures advice it's better to use your common sense first. Because when you are not pure, these "astral" senses can be mental monkey mind ideas as well. That was all to it.

P.S.: I googled on Sustainer [put some of his written lines in google and got 1 hit; bingo website]. The person of this website thinks about writing a book. And tries to find out if his ideas are good enough for his book. I won't call that a troll, rather a smart move.
[I had no intention to share this info, but as you put this IMHO "faulty" P.S. under my name, I think I better clarify this]

stvdv

Imran Hussein speaks to an atheist about belief, and how conversations regarding belief have to be grounded in rationality!
Filmed in the world famous Speakers Corner in London’s Hyde Park!

@Mohsen: Thank you very much for sharing. In a strange way, I did learn an important lesson

Yesterday I could only watch 5min. Today I easily finished all. I like the "common ground" idea. And I like if someone is genuinely interested in the other. My belief is that all beliefs have a part of the total "truth" in them. Being on this forum this idea slowly became a feeling, due to so many denominations, that all have some truth in them. Since I look at it in this way, the need to convince others of my idea has reduced big time.

My master says:"All religions are ways to God. And if you don't believe in God is also good. It's enough if you have faith in yourself and respect the creation". Probably His words finally fall into place, seeing all you guys on the forum. Sharing their feelings and thoughts. That's what it's about for me.

So I already got my answer "To believe or Not to believe" is not even important for me. Just be respectful towards creation. Some believe in God, others believe in themselves. I chose what feels good for me, and others chose what feels good for them. Both are equally good. IMHO.

sealchan

Imran Hussein speaks to an atheist about belief, and how conversations regarding belief have to be grounded in rationality!

Filmed in the world famous Speakers Corner in London’s Hyde Park!

Okay watched the second half...Hussein described some interesting aspects regarding the phenomenology of faith that I would have to review further...but basically the fundamental choice aspect of it. You have to take that step as he says into the faith so that the temptations become the revealed signs...

I think that describes faith very well. But somewhere he also mentioned need and that is, perhaps, one aspect that doesn't present itself as a choice...one has to become psychologically vulnerable enough to have an experience where you clearly feel that you personally lack what is needed and that an outside factor or intelligence is essential. This isn't a choice but something that happens to a person. If they have this experience they will feel compelled to make meaning of it.

Carl Sagan's Contact (and i recall mainly the movie) covers this nicely as the scientist has an experience she cannot substantiate with evidence. But she chooses to believe it in spite of the more believable conspiracy theory that one congressman concocts to explain it away. That plus for her significant time elapsed that everyone else who was a witness did not experience. That is some pretty strong counter evidence for having had an experience rather than an hallucination!

But all of this speaks to the essential subjective nature of faith. The phenomenology of faith can be looked at as an objective experience across cultures, but the particulars of the experience are as diverse and varied as people are themselves. This makes any objective sense of the truth of spiritual experience still a remote topic for science. It is, however, not a remote topic for the person who has experienced it.

This is why it is important that we learn to distinguish between the two modes of rationality for they differently accentuate the two sides of truth: subjective and objective. While the feeling function evaluates our experience and orders it with respect to those values, the thinking function makes consistent the definition of our words and orders those definitions with respect to logic. Values are of necessity subjective as they pertain specifically to our personal survivability and persistence. Logic operates independently of our personal concerns and seeks to preserve the integrity of our language which is though vitally, fundamentally experienced as indirectly related to our own sense of value and worth.

Two separate systems which overlap, contradict even. But as human beings we need them both. Science opposes fantasy but faith requires it. That is why sometimes i see science fiction as potentially the highest form of art.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think its fair to say that coming to a conclusion regarding one's perspective on whether God exists or not could be seen as a result of a rational deliberation. It could also be taken for granted as what one's parents or culture has taught but usually only the most unreflective minds won't mull over this point.

I think it is somewhat of a cop out for an atheist to say, "i have nothing to defend because without evidence there is no reason to believe in God". There is still that background of either unthinking acceptance or rational deliberation. That response should open up the obvious question, "Why then do you think there is no God when the vast majority of people do believe there is a God?" This is where atheists should be put to task...for they may have to argue against the rationality of most of the people on this planet. And that is something that either invokes arrogance or intimidation in the defending atheist I would think even if they suppress it.
Sorry for any confusion, but my original reply was intended for Sustainer as I was under the mistaken impression that he had written the above. Apologies.

That said...

One does have keep in mind that fully half of the adult human population is not particularly bright. I would suggest that believers in this group are VERY high due to their inability to form a greater understanding of reality. God is a simplistic understanding of reality, especially in modern times.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is interesting. Is it possible to define God at all or not? And if no definition is possible, does it make sense to say "I believe in God" or to say "I do not believe in God"? So we are back to "to believe or not believe" again. I have been thinking about it myself. And never found a solid definition so far.
My take is that it is exceedingly easy to define God. In fact, there is complete freedom to do so.

However, assigning meaning to such a definition is a separate and far more thorny proposition. The key factor being the realization that one should not presume any pre-existent meaning, but instead take full responsibility for any that might be lent to such a god-concept.

Ultimately, "god" is just a word like any other.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not any description, I consider saying and describing God as the origin of the Universe would be a precise description, try to describe more than that could only be make believe rather than a ''real'' belief with solid foundation to have the belief.

The beginning of the universe is self evident, so although we cannot describe God exact, we certainly know there is a God , a something that created the Universe. If we try to explain something more than the axiom value, it then removes the axiom value.
Sorry... but if you insist on going there, you end up with a meaningless and useless god-concept. At best.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You'd be Groot. Of course, we would have to add a lot to Groot's vocabulary and teach him to rhyme.
Groot groot groot groot groot groot groot
Groot groot groot groot
Groot groot groot groot

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
*looks up from sharpening his fangs*

I'd be quite happy to have a respectful discussion with @Mohsen on the very topic. :) Mohsen?
I’d love to, when I have some spare time. I actually work for a living and have a family! And I come to the net very occasionally.

Some of you spend an unhealthy amount of time on this forum!!! If this is what evolution has resulted in - humans living out their days on the web - then it’s not very convincing!

Have a nice day.

stvdv

But somewhere he also mentioned need and that is, perhaps, one aspect that doesn't present itself as a choice...one has to become psychologically vulnerable enough to have an experience where you clearly feel that you personally lack what is needed and that an outside factor or intelligence is essential. This isn't a choice but something that happens to a person. If they have this experience they will feel compelled to make meaning of it.

Beautiful said

stvdv

@stvdv: And never found a solid definition so far.
My take is that it is exceedingly easy to define God. In fact, there is complete freedom to do so.

However, assigning meaning to such a definition is a separate and far more thorny proposition. The key factor being the realization that one should not presume any pre-existent meaning, but instead take full responsibility for any that might be lent to such a god-concept.

Ultimately, "god" is just a word like any other.

Thanks for wording it so clear. That is what I had in mind when writing "never found a solid definition so far", meaning 1 definition to use for all. And when considering the vastness of the universe as compared to the world and humans thus infinitesimal small, it does makes sense to me that God can't be defined by us nor being experienced by our normal senses. So like you said "complete freedom to define God", makes it personal, not scientific.