• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To be fair: I’m also a God denier, an enemy of God beliefs

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I think the topic is about the people who have not heard from God but they say, "God says". Because they did not personally hear from God it may be wrong for them to say, "God says". It might be more logical to say, "God said" but even then, they are just guessing, I think.

There may be two things going on whenever a person says, "God says". First, they are the ones saying it so in essence, they are calling themselves god and secondly if God indeed did say it to someone many years ago it is as though they are saying, God can not treat each generation any differently so what is good for those people three thousand years ago must be just as good for all of us now.
Thank you for your friendly interest.

What I’m saying is not about some people. It’s about all people, and things we do sometimes, that I think are harmful. What I’m discussing here is when we talk about our views in a way where we’re trying to validate them, in opposition to other people’s views, trying unconsciously to intimidate them for example, or to look good to people in our faction.

People do that in different ways. One is by calling their views “what God says,” or something equivalent to that like “the Bible says.” That’s whet I’m discussing in this thread.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you for your friendly interest.

What I’m saying is not about some people. It’s about all people, and things we do sometimes, that I think are harmful. What I’m discussing here is when we talk about our views in a way where we’re trying to validate them, in opposition to other people’s views, trying unconsciously to intimidate them for example, or to look good to people in our faction.

People do that in different ways. One is by calling their views “what God says,” or something equivalent to that like “the Bible says.” That’s whet I’m discussing in this thread.
Yes. It is as though they try to control other people by using God.

Reactions: Jim

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I think the topic is about the people who have not heard from God but they say, "God says". Because they did not personally hear from God it may be wrong for them to say, "God says". It might be more logical to say, "God said" but even then, they are just guessing, I think.
The Wise remain silent, so probably you are right here

We have Horse-whisperers, Baby-whisperers

We have Dog-whisperers and some who claim to be God-whisperers

I have no problem when mr.X tells stvdv "God told mr.X that mr.X should do this and that"
The problem starts when mr.X tells stvdv "God told mr.X to tell stvdv that stvdv should do this and that"
If God needs to communicate to stvdv, he can do so Himself, I need and want no medium in between

Jim

Nets of Wonder
The Wise remain silent, so probably you are right here

We have Horse-whisperers, Baby-whisperers

We have Dog-whisperers and some who claim to be God-whisperers

I have no problem when mr.X tells stvdv "God told mr.X that mr.X should do this and that"
The problem starts when mr.X tells stvdv "God told mr.X to tell stvdv that stvdv should do this and that"
If God needs to communicate to stvdv, he can do so Himself, I need and want no medium in between
I wouldn’t have any problem with someone coming to me privately and saying that God told them personally to tell me something, if that’s what they think, if they’re just sharing with me and not trying to intimidate me. In my way of thinking, it might even be true.

stvdv

There may be two things going on whenever a person says, "God says". First, they are the ones saying it so in essence, they are calling themselves god and secondly if God indeed did say it to someone many years ago it is as though they are saying, God can not treat each generation any differently so what is good for those people three thousand years ago must be just as good for all of us now.
When someone hears a voice telling things. He knows not who it is, where from it come. So, I can understand they call it God. Ages ago, some called thunder and lightning also God. Just 1 word for everything you don't understand. One could also say "I heard the universe whisper ....", like when you hold a shell next to your ear.

When they keep it as a personal experience meant for themselves there won't be any irritation; that starts when they impose their voice on others. And then we suddenly have the situation you described with "they are calling themselves god", if I understand you correctly.

And your second point is also very good point IMO. Creation is not static, so I don't understand why they try so hard to make God static. Makes no sense to me.

stvdv

I wouldn’t have any problem with someone coming to me privately and saying that God told them personally to tell me something, if that’s what they think, if they’re just sharing with me and not trying to intimidate me. In my way of thinking, it might even be true.
The problem with proselytizing is exactly this intimidating part ... "you need Bahai for salvation" ... "Hell unless you accept Jesus" ... etc.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I want to try go back to my original purpose in this thread and my “science denier” thread. In this thread it’s to deny the validity of people claiming divine authority for what they say, even if their scriptures are word for word the words of God. I’ll say more about that later.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
There are some writings that I think of as the words of the God of Abraham, and I trust them without ever doubting their validity or value, but in my way of thinking, my understanding of them, and the understanding of everyone else who trusts them, is always open to question. No matter how many people understand them in some way, or who they are, I don’t see that as a reason to think that way myself.