• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Be Buried

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
How would you like to be buried? Does it reflect your religious beliefs?

Edit to add: What about embalming or donating your organs? What about all the things that the living do to make themselves feel better after someone has died (ie, viewings, parties, prayer)?

Last edited:

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Sorry, I added some things ^^;

Also, its important in this day and age to think about what you want to happen to your body afterwards. Maybe it has something to do with how much it would cost those who are still living, maybe it has something to do with dealing with your possessions or your house or your money. Its cleaning up after you leave.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I would have my organs harvested and my body donated to scientific/medical research. Not only would it be a noble cause, it would save both land and expenses. Maybe have some of my bone made into jewelry for loved ones.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
After I'm dead, do what you want with my body.

Until then, no burying, please.

Edit to add: What about embalming or donating your organs? What about all the things that the living do to make themselves feel better after someone has died (ie, viewings, parties, prayer)?
I've always considered viewings to be kinda morbid, and if one of my loved ones is going to commemorate my life in a way that actually represents my life, then I'd say that prayer wouldn't be a good fit (though some of my loved ones might like it).

A party? That sounds like it'd be a good idea. I'd rather that people commemorate me with happy memories than with wailing and mourning... of course, by that time, the decision's out of my hands.

Edit: as for organs... take what's useful. I won't be needing them.

I want my useful bits to be given to those who can benefit from them and the rest burned and scattered at sea. Nothing religious involved in this decision. It just seems selfish and wasteful to burn organs that could be useful to another person, and I like the sea.

I want the cremation because there is a finality to that. My Nana was cremated and I found her death was easier to cope with knowing that her body was completely destroyed so hope that it would help ease the pain of any loved ones who would mourn my passing.

It would be really awesome to be burned on a funeral pyre just because its cool but I think that there was laws against that in my home country and I'm not sure my fiance would be thrilled with the idea either.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!

Donate whatever is useful, burn the rest. I won't know what those I leave behind choose to do, so it won't matter.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I want to be covered in A1 sauce and dropped over a game reserve.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

I'm already a registered organ donor, so that takes care of that.
If anyone can use what is there for spare parts, go right ahead.
It's not as if I'll be needing them like some messed up Pharaoh. :D

Funeral... Dunno. Whatever is least expensive. Put me in a cardboard box for all I care.
I don't want my death to be an economic drain on the people I love.
Probably cremation. I see no reason to take up space here after I'm dead.

As for the ceremony...
Everyone should have a well cooked steak for dinner with some nice red wine sauce, and my favourite scotch for afters.
Then the song Lateralus by the band Tool should be played with the added comment afterwards: "To all my pupils; when you fully understand the philosophical meaning of this song, I will have nothing more to teach you. Never forget to be awesome!" :yes:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Cremation, ashes sent to space, hopingly aimed for the Sun. Yes it does.

I think that they should all forget about me, it's only going to make them sadder when they think of me.

I have the same experience with family deaths, I try to keep my mind on other things.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The useful things can go to medicine or science. If anything is left over, I guess I'll be cremated.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I want a traditional Viking Ship burial. If only it were legal...

It wouldn't be as expensive either.

Yeah, a Viking funeral pyre for me too. But while I'm still alive. And not with me on the ship. I'll jump out afterward and say, "Hey guys, just kidding."