• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To all Creationist/Geocentrist/Flat earthist

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
If they adhere to the Bible strictly, as you say, then they cannot believe the lies you mention. I have found only one faith that adheres to the bible strictly. If you don't really care what the Bible states, that is your right. But again, the Bible does not teach the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, or that God created the earth in 6 24-hour days.
Problem is that all of that is YOUR personal interpretation of the Bible.
There are in fact some people who believe that the Bible does teach that the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth and that god created the the universe in six 24 hour time periods.

Not to mention all the other stuff that it is believed that the Bible teaches, I.E. trinity

Atomist

I love you.
If they adhere to the Bible strictly, as you say, then they cannot believe the lies you mention. I have found only one faith that adheres to the bible strictly. If you don't really care what the Bible states, that is your right. But again, the Bible does not teach the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, or that God created the earth in 6 24-hour days.
The people who hold to the bible strictly say it does. Whether it does or not is strictly heresy. Thats why I don't really care what the bible actually say... because there isn't what the bible say "strictly"... since the bible is full of vague things that allude to a lot of different hings.

Actually I have christian friends that would say the earth was created in 6 literal days according to the bible.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There are in fact some people who believe that the Bible does teach that the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth and that god created the the universe in six 24 hour time periods.

Not to mention all the other stuff that it is believed that the Bible teaches, I.E. trinity
Thing is, that's just THEIR personal interpretation of the Bible.
So it's not really a problem.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's perfectly reasonable to put religious claims that cross into the realm of empirical evidence to the test.
Sometimes, yes, indeed, if the claim is presented as literally accurate, but that isn't always the case. And since there is no visible difference between the literal and nonliteral claim, it's not always easy to distinguish which is being made.

Some are verified, such as the existence of the cities of Jericho and Troy, etc.

Others are falsified, such as the myth about humans descending from two individuals, a global flood, and the manner in which the earth and the diversity of life were formed.

:shrug: It isn't a "crutch" to examine things that are perfectly examinable under the scrutiny of science.
Thing is, the narratives such as the flood, the creation, being swallowed by the big fish, etc.,* are generally accepted to be myth because of their nonliteral story and not their literal story. It's the nonliteral story that makes them "myth." To "verify" the literal story is to miss the myth, entirely, rather than falsify it.

*Edit: Oh, and the flat earth.

Last edited:

Atomist

I love you.
Thing is, the narratives such as the flood, the creation, being swallowed by the big fish, etc., are generally accepted to be myth because of their nonliteral story and not their literal story. It's the nonliteral story that makes them "myth." To "verify" the literal story is to miss the myth, entirely, rather than falsify it.
... so what if it's "generally" accepted... the literalist say it's literal stories and reject any disproof

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
... so what if it's "generally" accepted... the literalist say it's literal stories and reject any disproof
Like "might", popularity doesn't make right.

As a flat-earther, I will tell you that the literal doesn't make right, it just makes silly. ;)

rusra02

Premium Member

Saying the Bible teaches something it does not teach is not interpretation, it is either deliberate lying or unintentional ignorance. People say, as you point out, that the Bible teaches all sorts of things it does not teach. As the Bible itself says, "Interpretations belong to God". (Genesis 40:8)

rusra02

Premium Member
The people who hold to the bible strictly say it does. Whether it does or not is strictly heresy. Thats why I don't really care what the bible actually say... because there isn't what the bible say "strictly"... since the bible is full of vague things that allude to a lot of different hings.

Actually I have christian friends that would say the earth was created in 6 literal days according to the bible.

One doesn't find the truth by saying "Oh well, people believe different things so the truth can't be found out". The Bible has been attacked relentlessly for centuries, both by outright persecution and ban, and by attacks against it's teachings. Still, millions deeply appreciate the Bible as the word of God. On the other hand, millions more have only a passing acquaintance with the Bible, and believe all sorts of garbled lies about it. Still others bend and twist the Scriptures to support their own world view or personal agenda. The Bible commends the people of Beroea, who upon hearing a new teaching, carefully investigated. "Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·ni′ca, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so. "(Acts 17:11) Their careful examination led many of them to believe and accept the Christian faith. (vs 12).

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Saying the Bible teaches something it does not teach is not interpretation, it is either deliberate lying or unintentional ignorance. People say, as you point out, that the Bible teaches all sorts of things it does not teach. As the Bible itself says, "Interpretations belong to God". (Genesis 40:8)
Interestingly enough, those who believe that the Bible does in fact teach that the earth is flat can say the exact same thing about your interpretation...