• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titus Discussion

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
What does this verse mean to you Pete? Is it just hope of eternal life or is there an actual eternal life waiting for us? When Paul states "promised before the beginning of time," does that show to you there was something before here, or what is your interpretation on it?
Eternal life is NOW, Becky. We surely don't have to wait for it. Heaven is being one with God and Jesus has enabled that. I was REBORN into a new life: an imperishable one.

I Peter 1:22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.
-NIV

But the real point here, is not just the "Eternal Life" we have, but the HOPE that enables it.

Romans 8:24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. 26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. -NIV

II Corinthians 3:12 Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13 We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. 14 But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. -NIV

You know, I Corinthians teaches us that three things will last: Faith, hope and love. While I feel that I have a good handle on Faith, and I am truly working on Love as well, I simply do not have that same feeling about "Hope". It's time for me to do something about that.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Just to let people know there is some verses at the beginning of the thread that I have referred to, I was wondering if we could discuss those verses? The ones that I was particularly interested in were

Titus 1:2

"In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;"

Especially the underlined/bolded part. Why does this or does it not show to you that there was something before this world began. In my view it very clearly emphasizes the existence of something before, something premortal.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Another verse that I was quite interested in was Titus 1:5

"For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:"

Which cause is Paul referring to? What things do you think Paul was referring that Titus should 'set in order'? From a historical standpoint, does anyone know why Paul left Crete?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Which cause is Paul referring to? What things do you think Paul was referring that Titus should 'set in order'? From a historical standpoint, does anyone know why Paul left Crete?
The cause is setting everything in order that was found wanting and ordaining elders I would guess. I would suppose Paul left to preach elsewhere.

If Titus is a 'Pastoral Epistle' how does it apply to you life?
That I should do my best to live up to the ideal of what is stated in Titus(just as in all the NT)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Quick little info:

Who was Titus?

"Titus, a Gentile Christian, was a fellow traveling companion and missionary during Paul's second mission (2 Corinthians 8:23; 12:18; Galatians 2:3).

Titus figured prominently in the decision of the Jerusalem Conference, when the issue of circumcision was discussed, because Titus, unlike the majority of Paul's other missionary companions, was an uncircumcised Greek convert who was also an exceptionally effective missionary (Galatians 2:3). Titus represented the fruit of the gentile mission.

Titus appears to have spent much of his time in Corinth. Between the writing of 1 and 2 Corinthians, Paul learned that the community had been further fractured from internal intrigues, therefore causing Paul to send Titus back to Corinth to help settle the matter (2 Corinthians 7:6-15). Titus' whereabouts prior to being sent back to Corinth are unknown, but Paul intended to meet him near Troas. Upon arriving in Troas, Paul found that Titus had not yet arrived, causing Paul to have "no rest in my spirit" (2 Corinthians 2:12-13).

Paul, greatly disturbed traveled to Troas (Acts 20:13-14). Paul found Titus in Macedonia, where Paul reports that God "comforted us by the coming of Titus," who had likely been delayed by unfavorable traveling conditions (2 Corinthians 7:5-6). Titus was immediately sent back to Corinth to help settle the internal disputes (2 Corinthians 8:6)

Much later, during one of Paul's imprisonments, Titus was in Crete endeavoring to strengthen the congregations there and to call elders (Titus 1:4-5). The wording of 2 Timothy 4:10 may suggest that Titus became disaffected with Paul and departed into other regions. However, it may suggest that Paul longed to enjoy his companionship again. Titus is encouraged to meet his in Nicopolis with other faithful brethren. (Titus 3:12-13)"

(p. 247,"Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament")