• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titles

anders

I have tried to find information on whether there are any formal requirements that must be filled for a person to get titles like ayatollah and hoyatoleslam. I have also found references to a "grand" or "great" ayatollah. (My translation from Swedish.) I am interested in short descriptions of any formal requirements, if different in different countries, if there are more titles of a similar kind, how you think they should be transcribed (hoyatoleslam, hoyatuleslam, hoyatolislam, hoyatulislam etc.)

Hi Andres:

Those titles you were asking about are for shias ( small sect of Islam ), we, the mainstream Muslims, dont recognize any of these titles as we dont believe in 'middle men' between you and God.

Mainstream Islam ( Sunnis ) believe in direct relations with Allah Almighty without some mad mullahs interfering !! I think that makes sense.

Here is more information about the shia sect in Islam:

http://www.ansar.org/english/index.htm

anders

Ya axi,

(I prefer "x" to "ch")

Shukran gaziilan.

BTW, which word do you use for "shield"? My dictionary gives several; the first alternative is "turs".

Anders