• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titles of Jesus.

Skywalker

In Islam, Jesus isnt called by the title the "son of god" and that confuses me. Is it only because his divinity is denied, or other reasons too?

Like in Christianity, he was born of the Virgin Mary without a biological father, supernaturally. It is believe that he was created by the supernatural command of God, like the Bible also says about Adam. But Christians also believe he was conceived supernaturaly in Mary by the Spirit of God, not by Gabriel commanding him into existence like in Islam. Is that partially the reason Muslims dont give him the title of Son of God?

Servant_of_the_One1

We believe Jesus has no biological father. Allah almighty created His servant Jesus son of mary pbuh without a father. The Almighty Lord sent his archangel Gabriel to Mary.
6. And mention in the Book (the Qur'an, O Muhammad
saws.gif
, the story of) Maryam (Mary), when she withdrew in seclusion from her family to a place facing east.

17. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Ruh [angel Jibrael (Gabriel)], and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.

18. She said: "Verily! I seek refuge with the Most Beneficent (Allah) from you, if you do fear Allah."

19. (The angel) said: "I am only a Messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son."

20. She said: "How can I have a son, when no man has touched me, nor am I unchaste?"

21. He said: "So (it will be), your Lord said: 'That is easy for Me (Allah): And (We wish) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a mercy from Us (Allah), and it is a matter (already) decreed, (by Allah).' "

22. So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place (i.e. Bethlehem valley about 4-6 miles from Jerusalem).

23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a date-palm. She said: "Would that I had died before this, and had been forgotten and out of sight!"

24. Then [the babe 'Iesa (Jesus) or Jibrael (Gabriel)] cried unto her from below her, saying: "Grieve not! Your Lord has provided a water stream under you;

25. "And shake the trunk of date-palm towards you, it will let fall fresh ripe-dates upon you."

26. "So eat and drink and be glad, and if you see any human being, say: 'Verily! I have vowed a fast unto the Most Beneficent (Allah) so I shall not speak to any human being this day.'"

27. Then she brought him (the baby) to her people, carrying him. They said: "O Mary! Indeed you have brought a thing Fariya (an unheard mighty thing).

28. "O sister (i.e. the like) of Harun (Aaron) [not the brother of Musa (Moses), but he was another pious man at the time of Maryam (Mary)]! Your father was not a man who used to commit adultery, nor your mother was an unchaste woman."

29. Then she pointed to him. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?"

30. "He ['Iesa (Jesus)] said: Verily! I am a servant of Allah, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet;"

The case of Jesus pbuh is almost similar to that of Adam, surely Adam was created without father and mother. So Adam should have more right to such title(''son of God'') and more right to ''divine'' if having no biological parent/parents means u are divine.

We believe both are servants of Allah swt, they are not arrogant to worship Allah swt.

Skywalker

We believe Jesus has no biological father. Allah almighty created His servant Jesus son of mary pbuh without a father. The Almighty Lord sent his archangel Gabriel to Mary.
6. And mention in the Book (the Qur'an, O Muhammad
saws.gif
, the story of) Maryam (Mary), when she withdrew in seclusion from her family to a place facing east.

17. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Ruh [angel Jibrael (Gabriel)], and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.

18. She said: "Verily! I seek refuge with the Most Beneficent (Allah) from you, if you do fear Allah."

19. (The angel) said: "I am only a Messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son."

20. She said: "How can I have a son, when no man has touched me, nor am I unchaste?"

21. He said: "So (it will be), your Lord said: 'That is easy for Me (Allah): And (We wish) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a mercy from Us (Allah), and it is a matter (already) decreed, (by Allah).' "

22. So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place (i.e. Bethlehem valley about 4-6 miles from Jerusalem).

23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a date-palm. She said: "Would that I had died before this, and had been forgotten and out of sight!"

24. Then [the babe 'Iesa (Jesus) or Jibrael (Gabriel)] cried unto her from below her, saying: "Grieve not! Your Lord has provided a water stream under you;

25. "And shake the trunk of date-palm towards you, it will let fall fresh ripe-dates upon you."

26. "So eat and drink and be glad, and if you see any human being, say: 'Verily! I have vowed a fast unto the Most Beneficent (Allah) so I shall not speak to any human being this day.'"

27. Then she brought him (the baby) to her people, carrying him. They said: "O Mary! Indeed you have brought a thing Fariya (an unheard mighty thing).

28. "O sister (i.e. the like) of Harun (Aaron) [not the brother of Musa (Moses), but he was another pious man at the time of Maryam (Mary)]! Your father was not a man who used to commit adultery, nor your mother was an unchaste woman."

29. Then she pointed to him. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?"

30. "He ['Iesa (Jesus)] said: Verily! I am a servant of Allah, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet;"

The case of Jesus pbuh is almost similar to that of Adam, surely Adam was created without father and mother. So Adam should have more right to such title(''son of God'') and more right to ''divine'' if having no biological parent/parents means u are divine.

We believe both are servants of Allah swt, they are not arrogant to worship Allah swt.

Does the title son of God refer to divinity or something else? I always thought Son of God meant Jesus was conceived by God's power without a father, which is why Im confused that Islam believes in his virgin birth but dont give him the title that signifies it.

Sakeenah

Does the title son of God refer to divinity or something else? I always thought Son of God meant Jesus was conceived by God's power without a father, which is why Im confused that Islam believes in his virgin birth but dont give him the title that signifies it.

We do not call Jesus or any other prophet the son of God because of the confusing it can cause,people can interpret it the wrong way thinking we mean it literally

Son of God’ is a term used in ancient Hebrew for a righteous person. God calls Israel his ‘˜son’: This is what the LORD says: Israel is my oldest son [Exodus 4:22]. Also, David is called the ‘˜Son of God’: The LORD has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.’ [Psalm 2:7]. In fact anyone who is righteous is referred to as God’s ‘son’: All who are led by God’s Spirit are God’s sons and daughters [Romans 8:14].
(quote from -> Jesus in Islam | One Reason - What's the purpose of life? )

Sakeenah

This lecture is about Jesus in Islam and Jesus in Christianity.

Jesus in Islam and Christianity - Yusha Evans - Oct 2013

Servant_of_the_One1

We do not call Jesus or any other prophet the son of God because of the confusing it can cause,people can interpret it the wrong way thinking we mean it literally

Son of God’ is a term used in ancient Hebrew for a righteous person. God calls Israel his ‘˜son’: This is what the LORD says: Israel is my oldest son [Exodus 4:22]. Also, David is called the ‘˜Son of God’: The LORD has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.’ [Psalm 2:7]. In fact anyone who is righteous is referred to as God’s ‘son’: All who are led by God’s Spirit are God’s sons and daughters [Romans 8:14].

Good Points!

Skywalker

Is that the only reason Muslims disagree with the title Son of God? Because the Quran agrees with the Bible on other reasons Jesus has that title, in the sense that God caused Mary to conceive him miraclously.

And she who guarded her virginity, so We breathed into her of Our spirit (roohina) and appointed her and her son to be a sign unto all beings. S. 21:91

Sakeenah

Is that the only reason Muslims disagree with the title Son of God? Because the Quran agrees with the Bible on other reasons Jesus has that title, in the sense that God caused Mary to conceive him miraclously.

And she who guarded her virginity, so We breathed into her of Our spirit (roohina) and appointed her and her son to be a sign unto all beings. S. 21:91

Hi :)
We disagree because we do not belief he Jesus peace be upon him is the son of God

As Muslims we believe that Mary is the purest woman of all creation.Jesus was miracously born without a father. Just like Adam was created without a father. God is the one who created them both. For god said be and he was..you can look up verse 3:42-47 up.

The word 'ruhina'..our spirit. Is referring to the fact that with the permission of God a spirit/soul was breathed into Jesus while he was in the womb of Mary. Ruhina..the last letter 'na' refers to 'ours' here God is telling us that every single soul belongs to him. That's why we say as Muslims ' to him belong and to him we return.

The birth of Jesus was a lesson for those in his time and after it. Peace and blessings be upon him .

Skywalker

Hi :)
We disagree because we do not belief he Jesus peace be upon him is the son of God

As Muslims we believe that Mary is the purest woman of all creation.Jesus was miracously born without a father. Just like Adam was created without a father. God is the one who created them both. For god said be and he was..you can look up verse 3:42-47 up.

The word 'ruhina'..our spirit. Is referring to the fact that with the permission of God a spirit/soul was breathed into Jesus while he was in the womb of Mary. Ruhina..the last letter 'na' refers to 'ours' here God is telling us that every single soul belongs to him. That's why we say as Muslims ' to him belong and to him we return.

The birth of Jesus was a lesson for those in his time and after it. Peace and blessings be upon him .

Isnt that the same thing to what the Bible says about the virginal creation of Jesus? Im not arguing about the semantics of what Jesus in called in each religion, Im just saying the essence of who Christ is similar based on similar verses. Am I wrong?

Sakeenah

Isnt that the same thing to what the Bible says about the virginal creation of Jesus? Im not arguing about the semantics of what Jesus in called in each religion, Im just saying the essence of who Christ is similar based on similar verses. Am I wrong?

If the essence means that he was a extraordinary humanbeing send to d..
As Muslims we believe that Jesus was send with the revelation or book the injeel ( bible) but it was changed by people..things were taken away and added..which made it no longer authentic. So its possible that the story of the miraculous birth of Jesus has similarities.also the fact that Jesus could heal, bring back people from the death and make the blind see..this also similar.and a few other things. So in that way it is similar

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
In Islam, Jesus isnt called by the title the "son of god" and that confuses me. Is it only because his divinity is denied......?
Peace be on you.
Answers from Ahmadiyya-Muslim Understandings:

The Idea of sonship is extremely disliked and prohibited by Allah-The One.

According to Holy Quran [alislam.org/quran]

[112:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[112:2] Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;
[112:3] ‘Allah, the Independent and Besought of all.
[112:4] ‘He begets not, nor is He begotten;
[112:5] ‘And there is none like unto Him.’

==

[5:76] The Messiah, son of Mary, was only a Messenger; surely, Messengers like unto him had indeed passed away before him. And his mother was a truthful woman. They both used to eat food. See how We explain the Signs for their good, and see how they are turned away.

==

[18:2] All praise belongs to Allah Who has sent down the Book to His servant and has not put therein any crookedness.
[18:3] He has made it a guardian, that it may give warning of a grievous chastisement from Him, and that it may give the believers who do good deeds the glad tidings that they shall have a good reward,
[18:4] Wherein they shall abide for ever;
[18:5] And that it may warn those who say, ‘ Allah has taken unto Himself a son.’
[18:6] No knowledge have they thereof, nor had their fathers. Grievous is the word that comes from their mouths. They speak naught but a lie.
[18:7] So haply thou wilt grieve thyself to death for sorrow after them if they believe not in this discourse.

or other reasons too?
a-A perfect God does not support original sin theory, Adam forgot few things, he repented and forgiven by God.
b- Sonship of God is simply misunderstanding, due to translations or other reasons.
c- Jesus (a.s.) was only for Israelites [verse 50 below] thus he had to follow the Moses (a.s.)
Please read about miracles in note 420 F
image153.gif

Source:The Holy Quran
More in The Holy Quran
wwwDOTalislamDOTorg/quran/tafseer/?page=399&region=E1&CR=EN,E2&CR=EN,E2

Prophets Make Spiritual Dead Alive:
[ch8:v25] O ye who believe! respond to Allah, and the Messenger when he calls you that he may give you life, and know that Allah comes in between a man and his heart, and that He it is unto Whom you shall be gathered.

Otherwise once someone is physically dead, he never comes back. It is sunnatullah (way of God). [Prayers of Prophets enhances lives and make near-deads to get more life, it happens.] But deads never come back. In religion, such wording is metaphor.

[23:100] Until, when death comes to one of them, he says entreating, ‘My Lord, send me back,
[23:101] ‘That I may do righteous deeds in the life that I have left behind.Never, it is but a word that he utters. And behind them is a barrier until the day when they shall be raised again.

Like in Christianity, he was born of the Virgin Mary without a biological father, supernaturally. It is believe that he was created by the supernatural command of God, like the Bible also says about Adam.
a-Jesus was made of clay.
b-The fatherless birth of Jesus (a.s.) was an announcement of change of house of prophethood.
c- FATHERLESS BIRTH GREEK HINDUS EXAMPLES - Google Search

medical virgin birth human cases - Google Search

But Christians also believe he was conceived supernaturaly in Mary by the Spirit of God, not by Gabriel commanding him into existence like in Islam. Is that partially the reason Muslims dont give him the title of Son of God?
His mother was blamed.
Thus the use of words kalimah and ruh have wide uses in Quran; for Jesus these only means his birth was under pure thoughts (When parents have immodest thoughts conception of their children get part too.)

Same word rooh is used for Adam:
015-030.png

[ch15:v30] ‘So when I have fashioned him in perfection and have breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in submission to him.’

The Holy Quran

===
Thus, Jesus (a.s.) was a man Prophet, came for Israelites, believed in God of Moses (a.s.) [The same God from Who has been from ever and will be to ever]. His mother was blamed, that is why he and her both were made clear of charges of impurity.
According to Ahmadiyya-Muslims, who believe that latter days promised reformer [The Promised Messiah, the Mahdi has come in 1889 in India as the ardent devotee of Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be on him); whose mission of peaceful revival of faith continues through his Khilafat........ Jesus (on whom be peace) survived cross [proofs from Quran, Bible, History and Medical records, in online book JESUS IN INDIA @ ALISLAM.ORG]

Good wishes.

Last edited: