• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tithes and taxes

chasev3

Need some assistance with a question. When one receives their taxes... are you support to give a 10th of your taxes to God?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I guess if you want to. But how? Give it to the church?

A better method would be to give to charities, instead of churches. Give to the the needy, the hungry, the plundered, the endangered, the fearful, the sick. ;)

john313

warrior-poet
in addition to the 2.5%(zakat) of all income, we should also give 20%(khums) of income less necessary expenses. give to those listed by Druidus above.

SoyLeche

meh...
chasev3 said:
Need some assistance with a question. When one receives their taxes... are you support to give a 10th of your taxes to God?
Do you mean on your tax return?

I pay tithing on gross instead of net pay, and since a tax return is just the government giving you back the money that you overpayed them, I have already paid tithing on it.

andyjamal

servant
I have often wondered the same thing. In the Baha'i Faith, we are only required to tithe on wealth (above and beyond what is spent on necessities). I'm not aware of any specific mention of taxes in the writings. I suppose it is up to the individual to determine what he/she feels is appropriate.

chuck010342

Druidus said:
I guess if you want to. But how? Give it to the church?

A better method would be to give to charities, instead of churches. Give to the the needy, the hungry, the plundered, the endangered, the fearful, the sick. ;)

WOW druidus good show. I agree.

fromthe heart

I live my life through Charity by giving of myself to needs of those God directs my way whether it be with money,time,resources, or whatever. I often can be found at prayer with a stranger who is hurting from the failures of life. I will also bring the message of salvation to whoever would like to recieve life eternal. I try always to let God direct my path and my walk in life.:)

If you think about it you remember what someone does for you and why before you'll remember the money donated to a cause.

Linus

chasev3 said:
When one receives their taxes... are you support to give a 10th of your taxes to God?
We don't have to. There is no commandment under the New Testament that says we must. But the question raised is this: Should we want to?

Melody

chasev3 said:
Since tithing is not a scriptural command, you can give what you want. Our giving is to be from the heart. Also, Jesus said that when we feed, clothe, shelter the least of God's creations, we are also doing so to Him. That tells me that if I choose to send my money to tsunami victims, homeless shelters, etc. then my money is going to God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
Since tithing is not a scriptural command, you can give what you want. Our giving is to be from the heart. Also, Jesus said that when we feed, clothe, shelter the least of God's creations, we are also doing so to Him. That tells me that if I choose to send my money to tsunami victims, homeless shelters, etc. then my money is going to God.
Hey, Melody. So we're going to debate tithing again, huh? Get ready to have your buttons pushed! ;)

Not only is tithing a scriptural command, it was not done away with as part of the New Covenant.

In Matthew 23:23, Jesus is recorded as having chastised the Pharisees for paying tithes but not having obeyed the more important parts of the law. He said, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

Notice that He said (with respect to the payment of tithes), "these ought ye to have done." He specifically pointed out that they were right in the payment of tithes, but were wrong to think that tithing was a substitute for mercy and faith.

The scriptures also speak of "offerings," frequently within the same verse as "tithes." These are not one and the same. TIthing is a commandment. We are to return to the Lord 10% of all we receive. Offerings are free-will contributions on top of tithing. An offering is made from one's surplus, on what he has available after his needs are met. In giving to tsunami victims, homeless shelters, etc. you are giving an offering. You are not paying a tithe.

Like Soyleche, I also pay tithing on my gross income. But then I recall having told you this before. ;)

Kathryn

Fascist Christ

Tithings and taxes are the same thing.

Allow me to explain. One cannot give money "to god" since god has no use for money. Rather, the money would be used to "serve god." For example, it can be used to help the less fortunate. If our taxes are being misspent on ungodly things, then our government is the problem.

Melody

Katzpur said:
In Matthew 23:23, Jesus is recorded as having chastised the Pharisees for paying tithes but not having obeyed the more important parts of the law. He said, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."
First, the Pharisees were Jews and were to tithe under the covenant. However, this passage has nothing to do with tithing. It has to do with hypocrisy. They tithed and followed one part of the law, but disregarded other parts. We are not Jews and the covenant was not with the Gentiles. There is a verse in the NT which states that the Gentiles were not under obligation to obey the covenant and I will find it when I have the chance.

Katzpur said:
The scriptures also speak of "offerings," frequently within the same verse as "tithes." These are not one and the same. TIthing is a commandment. We are to return to the Lord 10% of all we receive.
Again, please show me where tithing is a "commandment". As I've said repeatedly. The bible speaks of Abraham giving 10% *once*. The bible speaks of Joshua making a "vow" to give God 10%. This was not required by God but was something Joshua promised to do. If you choose to believe that you are required to obey the law of tithing in Leviticus 27:30, logic says you must also follow the other laws found in Leviticus (e.g. the food laws in Leviticus 11).

I am a Christian who follows the NT law of Jesus Christ. Nowhere is tithing mentioned, although He does say that we are to give from the heart.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
First, the Pharisees were Jews and were to tithe under the covenant. However, this passage has nothing to do with tithing. It has to do with hypocrisy. They tithed and followed one part of the law, but disregarded other parts. We are not Jews and the covenant was not with the Gentiles. There is a verse in the NT which states that the Gentiles were not under obligation to obey the covenant and I will find it when I have the chance.
Holy Cow! Of course it has to do with tithing! It specifically mentions tithing. Sure, Jesus was condemning the Pharisees for their hypocrasy, but He did so by mentioning a specific commandment.

Besides, just because it first went into effect in Old Testament times doesn't mean we're exempt from it. The new covenant didn't simply obliterate all of the commandments given in the Old Testament.

Again, please show me where tithing is a "commandment". As I've said repeatedly. The bible speaks of Abraham giving 10% *once*. The bible speaks of Joshua making a "vow" to give God 10%. This was not required by God but was something Joshua promised to do. If you choose to believe that you are required to obey the law of tithing in Leviticus 27:30, logic says you must also follow the other laws found in Leviticus (e.g. the food laws in Leviticus 11).

Once? Well, the KJV mentions tithing by name 41 times. If those who held the priesthood were commanded to collect tithes from the people, (as described in Hebrews 7) how can you argue that we are not commanded to give tithes? (I know... you're just going to reiterate that this law was for the Jews only.)

I am a Christian who follows the NT law of Jesus Christ. Nowhere is tithing mentioned, although He does say that we are to give from the heart.
So am I, and I believe you're wrong. I, too, give from my heart. That's the "offerings" part that is given in addition to the "tithing" part. ;)

I know how you feel about this topic, Melody, but it looks to me an awfully lot like you're trying to justify not living this commandment. For someone whose conscience is clear, you sure do seem to be putting a lot of energy into proving that this law was somehow rescinded by Jesus Christ. His Church needs funds to be able to operate. I can't, for the life of me, see why anyone would begrudge God 1/10th of all He has given them.