• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tired of American Politics and Its Shockwave of Unreason

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm afraid the reality is -- as Christine put it -- when the US sneezes, the rest of the world catches cold, DS. I don't like it any more than you do, but that's the reality. For instance, Trump might (might not) have in the past two days kicked off World War III. Hopefully not, but what he as done in provoking Iran has that potential. That gruesome fact might concern thinking people around the whole world, and not just Americans. So let's hope the Iranian leaders have more restraint than Trump.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We recently had the UK elections, yet the number of threads about those was a mere fraction of that of threads about Trump. I realize most members are in the U.S., but it seems to me the numbers are still disproportionate when we also have many members outside the U.S.

I'm simply tired of hearing about Trump, AOC, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and any and all other right-wing or left-wing ideologues and demagogues in the U.S. My own country has a myriad of its own issues, yet even local media still reports about US politics a lot during election seasons and events like the ongoing impeachment debacle while often ignoring significantly more pressing local problems.

It is doubly obnoxious that those of us elsewhere in the world have to constantly hear about the circus of American politics simply because of the influence and interventionism the U.S. practices. I'm sure most Arabs, for example, are more worried about the crumbling Arab economies and regional conflicts than "white privilege" or "cultural appropriation."

And because of how much focus there is on the U.S., some people in other parts of the world have picked up the practice of trite, virtue-signaling, amplified outrage that is currently more or less a staple of American politics. This exportation of unreason is toxic, boring, and downright unfortunate--especially when it happens in countries with far more urgent and pressing issues to talk about and address.

/rant, I guess. Keeping up with world politics is nice and all, but only as long as "world politics" isn't conflated with "US politics" and only as long as we also get to hear and talk about the cases of people like Raif Badawi and Rahaf al-Qunun for a change--because, you know, being "woke" might just entail being up to date on more than social media wars about Halloween costumes or people of color in video games.

I can see where you're coming from. I grew up in a family where politics was talked about a lot, and it was seemingly part of the entire culture that surrounded me in my early years. So, for me, I've become so acculturated to US politics that it's almost second nature for me. I'm accustomed to it, and I consider just part of the general experience of being an American.

Of course, before the internet, most Americans would just talk to other Americans in America about politics. But now, it's become more of an international phenomenon since the internet has made it possible for people all over the world to join the fray.

I generally try to take a somewhat detached approach to it all. I've learned to not really get emotional about politics, but it doesn't mean that I don't care. But I always try to keep in mind that, whatever is put on display for the public to peruse, examine, or comment on, that's all part of a show.

One thing that I tend to notice is that, in terms of politics, there's very little debate over actual philosophy and genuine ideological differences - at least not in any meaningful way that I've noticed. "Politics" has taken on more of a tone similar to celebrity gossip.

I mean, we've always had mudslinging and gutter politics, but now, it's gone from the gutter to the top echelons of power. It seems clear that anyone of any true substance or quality - someone who could be a great statesman - they are smart enough to avoid politics altogether. The "best and the brightest" don't become politicians anymore. That's why we're left with the dregs.

And that brings me to the main problem with US politics: The voters. The voters, for the most part, suck. I mean, they really do. They don't want smart or intelligent politicians. They vote more on personality and character. The voters get easily suckered in by BS, speculation, rumors, and gossip - none of which would have any effect if people would stick more to the issues, philosophies, and ideologies related to politics.

Politics isn't really politics anymore. It's the National Enquirer.

amorphous_constellation

Most of the USA's interest is in Israel and Saudi Arabia, because they buy our expensive military equipment. It's a financial relationship to be sure... :D

Most of the Arabs throw in with Iran or Pakistan and that's why their economies stink -- they're picking the wrong side of the fence to stand on. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and UAE got it figured out -- play nice with USA and you make the money. We're the largest market and also have the best tech for protecting yourself.

Is it really best to define all that as the 'the best tech for protecting yourself,' or better to say that we are selling tinder for conflicts we'll blame them for starting. Oh but perhaps it gives us a better economic position though, brilliant point. You're really taking the long-view. I'll add to that, we should crank out plastic, and the kneel to the vaping industry, and big coal, just because it makes money

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Is it really best to define all that as the 'the best tech for protecting yourself,' or better to say that we are selling tinder for conflicts we'll blame them for starting. Oh but perhaps it gives us a better economic position though, brilliant point. You're really taking the long-view. I'll add to that, we should crank out plastic, and the kneel to the vaping industry, and big coal, just because it makes money

They're going to kill themselves anyway so we might as well make money on it. The conflicts that are going on there are mostly generational or religious... That stuff doesn't really end until one side wins.

Shad

Veteran Member
We recently had the UK elections, yet the number of threads about those was a mere fraction of that of threads about Trump. I realize most members are in the U.S., but it seems to me the numbers are still disproportionate when we also have many members outside the U.S.

I'm simply tired of hearing about Trump, AOC, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and any and all other right-wing or left-wing ideologues and demagogues in the U.S. My own country has a myriad of its own issues, yet even local media still reports about US politics a lot during election seasons and events like the ongoing impeachment debacle while often ignoring significantly more pressing local problems.

It is doubly obnoxious that those of us elsewhere in the world have to constantly hear about the circus of American politics simply because of the influence and interventionism the U.S. practices. I'm sure most Arabs, for example, are more worried about the crumbling Arab economies and regional conflicts than "white privilege" or "cultural appropriation."

And because of how much focus there is on the U.S., some people in other parts of the world have picked up the practice of trite, virtue-signaling, amplified outrage that is currently more or less a staple of American politics. This exportation of unreason is toxic, boring, and downright unfortunate--especially when it happens in countries with far more urgent and pressing issues to talk about and address.

/rant, I guess. Keeping up with world politics is nice and all, but only as long as "world politics" isn't conflated with "US politics" and only as long as we also get to hear and talk about the cases of people like Raif Badawi and Rahaf al-Qunun for a change--because, you know, being "woke" might just entail being up to date on more than social media wars about Halloween costumes or people of color in video games.

The US is a hot topic as it is the superpower. If the US goes bottom up the whole planet feels it. If the UK goes bottom up the impact is minimal

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It was noted that a mod has much less freedom to avoid topics if any at all. After all, the rest of us can ignore things like the following but mods can't.

k0G7Gvt.png

gnomon

Thank goodness you have this tool at your fingertips to use to discover other avenues of media.