• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tiny Pallet homes to help get the homeless off the streets

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was wondering last week why this wasn't already happening, after seeing a small guard shack that was a conex made of metal, probably 1/3 of a semi-trailer in length. Now less than a week later, my great idea is on the news... I was going to charge the homeless $2.00 a day. With 24 units, I could have made $1440. a month, which would have equaled $17,280 a year, and would have had the units payed off in one year, and then pocket the rest for life. Yeah, I would have been a slum lord... Sure... But it would have improved the lives of 24 homeless people per day, and given me an extra $300. at the end of the week.

20201225_185047.jpg

Redondo Beach trying tiny homes to help ease homeless crisis

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sounds like a good idea, Cookie. Or should I say both your idea and Redondo Beach's idea sound good to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was wondering last week why this wasn't already happening, after seeing a small guard shack that was a conex made of metal, probably 1/3 of a semi-trailer in length. Now less than a week later, my great idea is on the news... I was going to charge the homeless $2.00 a day. With 24 units, I could have made $1440. a month, which would have equaled $17,280 a year, and would have had the units payed off in one year, and then pocket the rest for life. Yeah, I would have been a slum lord... Sure... But it would have improved the lives of 24 homeless people per day, and given me an extra $300. at the end of the week.

View attachment 46377

It could be run pretty much the same as an RV park.
People live in tents, cars, vans, motorhomes, trailers, & cabins.
They share common bathrooms, beaches, volleyball courts, etc.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
An inexpensive way to keep homeless people safe and warm? Who can argue with that? Not I! So long as they have access to bathrooms, bathing, cooking -- it seems brilliant.

Frankly, there was a time in my life when I would have thought that a gift from heaven.

Cooky

Veteran Member
An inexpensive way to keep homeless people safe and warm? Who can argue with that? Not I! So long as they have access to bathrooms, bathing, cooking -- it seems brilliant.

Frankly, there was a time in my life when I would have thought that a gift from heaven.

True. Barbecue grills, showers, maybe even with donation dropoff capabilities for food, if people want to do something good for others.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

View attachment 46377

Then the code officer comes around and cite multiple violations from the code book and orders the whole place to be dismantled and shut down.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Then the code officer comes around and cite multiple violations from the code book and orders the whole place to be dismantled and shut down.
In spite of that cynical view, google finds MANY examples of tiny houses all over the country.

Given the epidemic of evictions we're about to see, homeless families need somewhere to live besides the streets.

It's time that we start caring for those who need help in a more effective way and to me this is part of the solution.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In spite of that cynical view, google finds MANY examples of tiny houses all over the country.

Given the epidemic of evictions we're about to see, homeless families need somewhere to live besides the streets.

It's time that we start caring for those who need help in a more effective way and to me this is part of the solution.
I don't disagree actually. I'm all for it.

But now you know why I rail against oppressive over regulation and the politictions that push them. Only because this plays out all the time in this country and people pretty much throw up their arms in frustration at how badly ideas and projects like this are hampered and obstructed by code officers and the police. For many years now. Some on abandoned lots, others on private property.

North Springfield homeless camp evacuated

Hilo homeless camp shut down, again | West Hawaii Today

Homeless camp shutdown nearly complete

P.C. officials shut down Walden Lake homeless camp

City to shut down, clear out Tucson homeless camp

And do politictions actually help? No.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

How much would 24 units cost?
Cost of waste and refuse centre?
Cost of transporting and installing units?
Local area rates or services taxes per unit?
Electrical connection charges and standing charges?
Insurance costs?
An amount set aside each month for maintenance and repairs?

Could you just tot up those amounts and give us a cost per month?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

View attachment 46377

Unfortunately there is land, services, laws, maintenance and cleaning to consider.

The idea is great, but the dollar value will be much higher.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

View attachment 46377

An acquaintance wanted to do something to help the homeless in his home town but was hampered by various regulations. Then a relative died and left him a building that had been used for storage upstairs and a fairly run down club on the ground floor.

He converted it into a rooming house, with 10 rooms upstairs, and 14 smaller ones that he built by putting up dry wall in what was the club. Also 2 shower rooms, 2 toilets and cooking facilities on each floor and a tv room. Each room had a bed, cupboard, small sink unit with hot and cold water, electric light and an electric outlet socket.

He got approval from the planning department and social security who paid him (no idea how much) for each occupied room meaning the rooms were free to those using them.

By the time local taxes and utilities, repairs (there were always repairs) property maintenance and cleaning the public areas, and rooms if someone left he wound up just about breaking even but he was ok with that, it's what he wanted.

Brian2

Veteran Member

View attachment 46377

During Covid the homeless in Melbourne were housed in hotels. I think it may have stopped now.
Nothing was given to increase public housing in a stimulus package by the Commonwealth Government.
I think the right wing here is heading more in the direction of the US where it seems that it is the fault of the homeless that they are homeless or jobless or whatever.
It's a sad situation and takes money to fix but you could still do that idea if Government cooperates.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
How much would 24 units cost?
Cost of waste and refuse centre?
Cost of transporting and installing units?
Local area rates or services taxes per unit?
Electrical connection charges and standing charges?
Insurance costs?
An amount set aside each month for maintenance and repairs?

Could you just tot up those amounts and give us a cost per month?
Don't forget business license.
Water operator fees

Then there are zoning laws
And Renter laws
And eviction laws

Not to mention Home Owners Associations
and Historical Societies

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've had people try to live in my self storage units.
I've allowed it when they agreed to keep a low profile,
eg, don't scare others, be clean.
Yeah, it's illegal. But sometimes the law should be illegal.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
There was a homeless camp in Fort Wayne, Indiana that was "coded out" (meaning they used city codes, some of them only passed a week or two before) that existed for more than a year.
It wasn't until people kayaking past it started to complain that the city took notice of it.
Then the biggest argument for getting rid of it was it looked bad

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then the biggest argument for getting rid of it was it looked bad
That is the worst sin.
It's also been a big hurdle for solar & wind power.
And natural landscaping. Much of what I like to do
wouldn't be legal around a house in the city, eg,
prairie style grasses & flowers would have to be mowed.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's sad to think that throughout the 1900s our society was moving away from people living in shacks and hovels and using outhouses and communal toilets. And here we are a century later, having to put people back into these conditions because we just couldn't check our own unbridled greed. A hundred years of progress and technical innovation wasted as we fall back to the same poverty and oppression we worked so hard to overcome. Just so the millionaires and billionaires can get richer. And I guess so that we can punish our neighbors to make urselves feel superior to them.