• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

time

St Giordano Bruno

I don't think time is an illusion because it is a fairly important dimension but the present is, in its context of a past and future. The present is no more than a space time frame of reference that comes to one's conscious attention and not the absolute seat of reality people once believed it was before Einstein.

stlekee

Fool for Wisdom
Imagine a whole hour into existence this Saturday night. Daylight savings time ends! Set your clock back and get to live the same hour twice....I think ?

St Giordano Bruno

They say time flies when you are having fun but that is nothing to had fast it flies when you are dead.
Ever since I was a kid I remarked how time passes at infinite speed when I was in a deep sleep and not dreaming same could be said for death. If we remain dead permanently it would create the paradoxical situation with time subjectively passing at infinite speed, so if a handsome prince were to kiss you back to life 10^10^10 years later you will still never know that exponential number of years ever existed. I am more inclined to arrive to the conclusion that the only way around this paradox is that whatever happens to us we always necessarily must exist in one form or another to gain any perception of time. The handsome prince principle in this case would be anthropic necessity where you being totally oblivious to the fact you have already spent a life you switch to another brain which emulates the same processes as the old dead one.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Modern physics has suggested that linear time is a function of the human mammal brain - that there is no real requirement in the maths or physical laws for time to run linearly in the way most humans perceive it.

St Giordano Bruno

Modern physics has suggested that linear time is a function of the human mammal brain - that there is no real requirement in the maths or physical laws for time to run linearly in the way most humans perceive it.

Modern physics suggest time is just another dimension like the other three, but points the direction of entropy so there is more disorder in the future than the past. I believe most of the universe is disordered and exists in the highly disordered state in the future, but there are no observers because do the degree of entropy is so extreme that life in the universe in those spacetime frames of reference have become long extinct. It is only at a stage when entropy has not overwhelmed the universe and it is in a very fine balancing act between simplistic order and chaos that complexity emerges and with that complexity emerges sentient observers which can observe and study it at relatively young age of only 13.7 billion years.