• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time, What is it?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I missed the part then yes if nobody existed there would be no such thing as a passage of time because you and I wouldn't be around here to perceive it.

Time is an inherent part of our universe, and yes it exists even if our solar system did not exist, A persistent problem is a number of posters described 'time' in terms of an anthropomorphic perspective how we perceive time, and measure it defines 'time.'

A tree falling in the woods makes a noise even though no one is there to hear it,

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Time is an inherent part of our universe, and yes it exists even if our solar system did not exist, A persistent problem is a number of posters described 'time' in terms of an anthropomorphic perspective how we perceive time, and measure it defines 'time.'

A tree falling in the woods makes a noise even though no one is there to hear it,

That is because our mental depiction of things that act in random and intentional and our awareness of it and the processes that goes along with it. I still believe that time conceptually is something that the mind perceives and has conjured.

So sure a tree falling in a forest does make sound because we are aware of things that act randomly and things that are intentional. We know deforesting happens and we know trees make sound based on a prior knowledge of things falling and making sound. It doesn’t change the fact he fact that time’s existence depends on our mind existing and and without the mind time does not exist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Does time exist independently of all other characteristics of the universe? That is, we recognize time because things change position or character, so would it exist if absolutely nothing in the universe changed?

Recognizing that there is change within atoms, would this alone be enough to support the passage of time? Or in order for time to stop completely would atoms themselves have to cease to exist?

There really is no such thing as time. How would time apply to Infinity?

It's just a yard stick that was tacked on to measure processes or lack of processes although I suppose the scientific definition of time differs from the Layman's definition of time.