• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time travel

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
Should time travel be regarded as a serious topic for scientific investigation,
As then, if achieved, it could have important implications for how we understand the universe?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As then, if achieved, it could have important implications for how we understand the universe?

Yes, it can be considered seriously. But, at this time, there is no evidence it is possible. If it were found to be possible, it would definitely have great effects on our understanding of the universe.

But, at this point, anything about time travel is pure speculation. If you find some evidence, let someone know.

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
Would one expect some ‘attributes’ of the universe, eg. Time travel, to not be able to be ‘manipulated’, even after 3 billion years of scientific study?
Are some attributes set in stone?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Would one expect some ‘attributes’ of the universe, eg. Time travel, to not be able to be ‘manipulated’, even after 3 billion years of scientific study?
Are some attributes set in stone?

It isn't just a matter of manipulation. We haven't seen *any* closed time-like loops (technical description for tie travel). So, if they exist, they have yet to be detected.

David T

Premium Member
No it's not science remotely But great science fiction. And very important to contemplate or the nature of time certainly is.

The issue with time travel is you can't move out of reality and back into reality. We aren't independent.of reality itself even though we intellectualize like we can. We can model time travel but the model is the model not reality.

But I also say perpetual motion machines are impossible but lots of people have theories of it being potentially possible. Or Elon musks fantasy we live in a virtual reality. All the same thing to me nonsense.

Last edited:

james blunt

On the issue of time travel, you cannot travel back or forward in time. However you could travel to a much older planet than the earth, that would be like travelling to the future. Vice versus travelling to a less aged planet would be travelling into the past.

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
The question arises, why does the universe exist?
One idea is that scientists of the future are instigators of the Big Bang and are designers of all reality.
This includes the design of time, designing it to be manipulated, thus allowing time travel.
To me this seems a real possibility!
I can’t seem to shake the idea!

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
"The question arises, why does the universe exist?"

WHY implies purpose or intent. Why do you think there's a why?
I guess if there was no intelligence in the universe,
There would be no reason for it’s existence,
And therefore it would not exist.
Intelligence has the ability to design,
So I propose as an idea that intelligence within the universe [humanoid] designed the universe,
Like a fashion designer designs clothes,
Or as an architect designs houses.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
I don't see how you get from line 2 to line 3.

I've never been shown that reason is required.

Do you think any given pile of leaves on a windy day was piled in it's very own particular formation intentionally by the wind, or something controlling the wind?

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
"The question arises, why does the universe exist?"

WHY implies purpose or intent. Why do you think there's a why?
Sorry if I haven’t answered you question.....
It’s just that every phenomena seems to arise curiosity,
So why’s pop up for everything,
Including the reason for the universe’s existence.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
Again, why do you need a why?

What if there was no why?

*EDIT* also, there's multitudes of events/things/events you walk past on a daily basis that get no "whys" from people, they're commonplace.
Shouldn't everything get a why? If you look deep enough, pretty much every aspect of every part of life can be studied to some point where we no longer have explanations for it.

We haven't even really worked out gravity, the sheer act of walking past things should bring wonderment and "whys"

(sorry for the stealth edit)

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
Perhaps one day every phenomena will have an answered why.
Some of the phenomena will be because they were designed that way.
All II’m suggesting is I think I believe the universe will one of these phenomena that was designed by humanoid (human/alien) scientists.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
"Perhaps one day every phenomena will have an answered why."

Oh, I'm sure we'll kill ourselves out before that happens, we're a volatile bunch.

Hopefully whatever new info we get, we follow it to wherever it leads! Always good to learn more about the universe.

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
Again, why do you need a why?

)

I’m of the opinion that the universe should be an eternal void, but it’s not.
So I want to know why it’s not?
The universe contains intelligence.......
So perhaps these intelligent beings are responsible for why it’s not an eternal void.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Everything in the Cosmos is moving at tremendous speeds.
Every motion leaves a ripple in the Cosmos around us.
Those ripples are just mirror images of everything that happens.
Sad that we can't look back to the place that we were.
Where is that telescope that can look at those echos of yesterday.
And we can't see the echos of the entities that preceded us.
Ripples everywhere, by everything that exists, all moving away.
Just like us, riding those echos of ripples into infinity.
May the `gods` are making ripples themselves.....you think ?

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
Intelligent Design
Some claim that the universe came into existence through intelligent design.
So what are the sources for this intelligent designer?
1. It could be God
2. It could be some being in some other reality programming a Universe on his advanced quantum computer, or similar
3. It could be future humans/aliens traveling back through time and designing the universe by creating the Big Bang and the laws of physics
4. It could be scientists who have passed over to the afterlife. I’ll explain more in my next post as it’s a bit lengthy.

Some say there is no intelligent designer, and the existence of the universe just came into being through natural processes.

One could take two ‘systems’, one purely natural, and one with an intelligence.
I would say the intelligent system has a much higher chance of existing than the natural system, because intelligence can orchestrate the existence of the system, whereas the natural system, in my opinion, doesn’t have any order since it has no powers of orchestration.

I suppose it all comes down to whether time is set in stone or is malleable, allowing time travel.
I’m optimistic.....I expect in 4 billion or more years of science, all aspects of the universe will be like putty in the hands of the scientists.
I think I believe ‘we’ created our own existence, ‘we’ being scientists, human or alien.

I have no evidence even though a lot of strange things seem to occur in quantum mechanics, which I still know little about, but I think my belief is strong.

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
Intelligent Design
Some claim that the universe came into existence through intelligent design.
So what are the sources for this intelligent designer?
4. It could be scientists who have passed over to the afterlife. I’ll explain more in my next post as it’s a bit lengthy.

Let’s imagine just before Einstein takes his last breath, a being working behind the scenes transfers Einstein’s consciousness to a robot body which Einstein is quickly able to control. So Einstein finds himself in a room, and not believing in God, he deduces he must have created the robot body and room himself.

So Einstein gets to work and after much research he works out how to time travel and how to create building blocks from nothing. So he travels back 100 years and builds the room, and then builds the robot body which he brings to the dying Einstein’s deathbed. Working behind the scenes he uploads the dying Einstein’s consciousness to the robot. So an afterlife awaits Einstein.

Now imagine what can be achieved with all the scientists and engineers who have passed over, working together:- the ‘room’ becomes the afterlife realm, and the ‘robot body’ becomes the spirit body.

Hence, the intelligent designers who created this universe could be 4. Scientists who have passed over to the afterlife realm.

This all seems logical to me. Can anyone spot any holes?

Cockadoodledoo

You’re going to get me!
Mud we came from.
Mud we might return to.
Not if my mind has anything to do with it!
There is hope, even if there’s no God.
But hope is not enough....
We all have to contribute in our own ways.
But science and engineering perhaps will lead the way.
Mud we might return to.
Anyway I gave it a try.
Ha ha.