• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Stops . . . . . . . . . Or Not

SoyLeche

meh...
Time is past, present, future. You can't have only one of the three dimensions of time. All three are inseparable.
I don't think you understand what a "dimension" is...

That's like saying you have to go either left or right. You can't stay in one place.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Time is past, present, future. You can't have only one of the three dimensions of time. All three are inseparable.
Hey, stopping time isn't part of the physics we understand.
So if stoppage is possible, then survival might as well be.

syo

"a measurable extent of some kind, such as length, breadth, depth, or height."

There is no reason something can't have zero as it's measure of length. The same is true of time.
Then I rephrase. Time has past, present, future. These three are inseparable.

SoyLeche

meh...
"a measurable extent of some kind, such as length, breadth, depth, or height."

There is no reason something can't have zero as it's measure of length. The same is true of time.
Might be better to say that there's no reason something can't stop moving from right to left. The same is true of time.

There are plenty of reasons why the stopping of time would be (probably?) impossible. Many of them have been given in this thread. The "dimensions" of time isn't one of them.

SoyLeche

meh...
The OP gives one possibility.

I've already said that the stoppage of time is probably impossible. Not for the reason you are putting forward though. Stopping time wouldn't make "past", "present" or "future" not exist. It would stall the movement from one to the other is all.

Given the math, there's no good reason why time can't go backwards either, FWIW.