• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time spent video gamming and kids

We Never Know

No Slack
A few weeks ago some posters were saying there is no adverse effects from kids constantly playing video games.

Some kids play them 8 or more hours a day. Be sure to read the red.

In their study of 2442 children aged 7 to 11 years, the researchers found that playing video games for one hour per week was associated with better motor skills and higher school achievement scores, but no further benefits were observed in children playing more than two hours each week.

The team also found that weekly time spent gaming was steadily linked with conduct problems, peer conflicts, and reduced social abilities, with such negative effects being especially prominent in children who played "nine or more hours of video games each week." <only 9 hours a week!

How long should children be allowed to play video games?

Now add in hand feeding those same kids pchyciatric meds for years, what could go wrong.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
A few weeks ago some posters were saying there is no adverse effects from kids constantly playing video games.

In their study of 2442 children aged 7 to 11 years, the researchers found that playing video games for one hour per week was associated with better motor skills and higher school achievement scores, but no further benefits were observed in children playing more than two hours each week.

The team also found that weekly time spent gaming was steadily linked with conduct problems, peer conflicts, and reduced social abilities, with such negative effects being especially prominent in children who played "nine or more hours of video games each week." <only 9 hours a week!

Now add in hand feeding those same kids pchyciatric meds for years, what could go wrong.

The problem isn't video games in general. Especially nowadays. Almost all games are online now, kids play with their friends from across the town, or across the country. But also they play with random strangers in pick up groups. This is where the behavior problems stem from imo. You have these weirdos presenting adult ideas to the children, and are twisting them.

We Never Know

No Slack
The problem isn't video games in general. Especially nowadays. Almost all games are online now, kids play with their friends from across the town, or across the country. But also they play with random strangers in pick up groups. This is where the behavior problems stem from imo. You have these weirdos presenting adult ideas to the children, and are twisting them.

Online with a group or solo on a console, it's still video games.
IMO solo is worse. At least on line with a group we could almost call it socializing.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Online with a group or solo on a console, it's still video games.
IMO solo is worse. At least on line with a group we could almost call it socializing.

Socializing with adults that tell the kids that tell the kids don't have to listen to their parents and other terrible things. One guy told my daughter she was to lie to us, her parents, because that is the only way we would ever be happy. Only a morally bankrupt person would suggest to children that they should lie to their parents. Granted kids gonna lie anyways, but this is just evidence of how people online are intentionally trying to corrupt children.

We Never Know

No Slack
Socializing with adults that tell the kids that tell the kids don't have to listen to their parents and other terrible things. One guy told my daughter she was to lie to us, her parents, because that is the only way we would ever be happy. Only a morally bankrupt person would suggest to children that they should lie to their parents. Granted kids gonna lie anyways, but this is just evidence of how people online are intentionally trying to corrupt children.

And how do you know it wasn't just another kid saying that to your daughter?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only pre-internet kid who had a similar experience, but in real life instead of over the internet. I'd be willing to bet even that kids who grew up "alongside" with the internet even have those real life experiences. The internet really only makes it anonymous and easier.

Enoch07

Premium Member
It's the internet. I'm a 58 year old male but if I wanted to, I could be a 21 year old female with blonde hair and big Hooters :)

You don't understand is all. These people are not messaging each other like I and you are now through text.

These online games use microphones and headset so that they can physically talk to each while they play.

This was a full grown man talking to my underage daughter.

We Never Know

No Slack
You don't understand is all. These people are not messaging each other like I and you are now through text.

These online games use microphones and headset so that they can physically talk to each while they play.

This was a full grown man talking to my underage daughter.

Why do you allow her to be in that environment?

And you're right, I'm not a gammer. I don't know much about it.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Why do you allow her to be in that environment?

And you're right, I'm not a gammer. I don't know much about it.

Because shes a kid. I'd rather her play video games than be out on the streets these days.

Just get em to avoid a-holes like that is the problem.

Enoch07

Premium Member
As a parent our job is to protect them out or in, online and offline.

True true, but if you had kids of your own you'd know you can't be a helicopter parent and hover over them 24/7. They will resent you. My daughter came across an issue with an adult online. She came to me and we talked about it and handled the situation. That's about the best you can hope for.

We Never Know

No Slack
True true, but if you had kids of your own you'd know you can't be a helicopter parent and hover over them 24/7. They will resent you. My daughter came across an issue with an adult online. She came to me and we talked about it and handled the situation. That's about the best you can hope for.

I raised 2 daughter's and a son. Online is more dangerous than a walk in the park now days. Online is where most people stalk their prey so to speak.

We Never Know

No Slack

And it's great she came to you with it and talked to you about it. That's a step in the right direction which shows she trusts you and that your a great parent.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Summary from said study A new study indicates that playing video games for a limited amount of time each week may provide benefits to children, but too much can be detrimental.

I could have told you that for free!

1 -2 hours a week seems reasonable for an under 12 year old. Considering they probably spend more time on the computer at school anyway. Hell a good chunk of my Primary school lessons per week was actually through the use of computer games. And that was back in the late 90s.
Like there was this awesome mystery game that was supposed to increase critical thinking and problem solving. You had to find clues and solve some mystery. Ahh computer lab memories.

Though online play should be monitored by an adult. Internet is dangerous AF. This isn't the 90s when one can claim ignorance. That and microtransactions/loot crates and their insidious gambling mechanics. Single player is fine, provided you follow the ratings guide. But don't let it baby sit the child. Geez.

This I found rather interesting, though unsurprising.
"When the investigators looked at magnetic resonance imaging scans of the brains of a subgroup of children in the study, they noted that gaming was linked with changes in basal ganglia white matter and functional connectivity. "Gaming use was associated with better function in brain circuits critical for learning based on the acquisition of new skills through practice," Dr. Pujol explained. "Children traditionally acquire motor skills through action, for instance in relation to sports and outdoor games. Neuroimaging research now suggests that training with desktop virtual environments is also capable of modulating brain systems that support motor skill learning."
We've been using games for educational purposes for literally decades and I suspect that's why.
I think I even learnt basic algebra and English through computer games, back in the day when I was like 5 or 6. It was like baby's first laptop and there was this cat logo thing that talked like a prototype Siri. Decent mini games but awful graphics IIRC lol

Last edited:

Enoch07

Premium Member
And it's great she came to you with it and talked to you about it. That's a step in the right direction which shows she trusts you and that your a great parent.

Well like i say it was a best case scenario all things considered for that particular situation. Not everyone gets that lucky.

Ellen Brown

I'm surprised that parents would let they children have free access to video games. Perhaps not over one to two hours a week? Cell phones should be sharply limited, without access to Facebook or other trash.

Milton Platt

I think there is nothing wrong with playing video games, but like most things, moderation is the key.
I have two nephews who spend all available time glued to a video game console. If you send them outside and say "go play" you will find them sitting on the porch looking bored. their imagination is stunted. I used to spend all hours I could outdoors. We (neighborhood kids) rode bikes, climbed trees, built "forts" and tree houses, played all sorts of games, You had to drag us back inside to eat supper.