1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Time: Does the Bible say what Time is?

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by SA Huguenot, Oct 14, 2019.

1. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,317
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Can a photon have zero energy?

Edit: Also... Transference implies time.

2. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +23,124
    Religion:
    None
    May not exist, that is an unknown and unknowable

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +10,405
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    "The photon is a type of elementary particle. It is the quantum of the electromagnetic field including electromagnetic radiation such as light and radio waves, and the force carrier for the electromagnetic force (even when static via virtual particles). The invariant mass of the photon is zero; it always moves at the speed of light in a vacuum.
    A photon is massless, has no electric charge, and is a stable particle." Photon - Wikipedia

Carrier of energy, invarient mass zero. Like a copper wire through which electricity/energy flows. Does the wire move? Not even a bit.

#43 Aupmanyav, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  4. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,317
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +12,834
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I like some of what you had to say.

However God isn't very smart. One day is a thousand years by Earth standards? I don't think so.

Maybe if God's planet revolves really really slow. *Grin*

Besides time will change as the Earth gets older. It's already like that now with time zones.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,317
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Yes... and try re-writing that same definition without any reference to Time? I don't think it can be done.

If Light exists, Time exists. No?

7. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    christian
    Then there is the issue of whether time exists the same in far space as it does here.

But time is not a by product of objects moving. Time is involved in the moving of matter. Time is not the moving of matter.

8. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +10,405
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    I am not a physicist. Such questions are very complex. What I read is that "The photon is the gauge boson for electromagnetism, and therefore all other quantum numbers of the photon (such as lepton number, baryon number, and flavor quantum numbers) are zero." Perhaps someone who knows these things could explain it better.

"Elementary particles, whose interactions are described by a gauge theory, interact with each other by the exchange of gauge bosons - usually as virtual particles."
    Gauge boson - Wikipedia

9. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,317
    Religion:
    Judaism
    If you don't mind the additional questions:

Time is "maya" for an Advaitist? How does an Advaitist describe Light? Is it an important symbol in Hinduism?

( The reason I ask is that Light is often used as a metaphor in Abrahamic beliefs, but I am not familiar virtually ignorant of Hinduism and Non-Dualism. )

10. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,876
    Religion:
    Christian
    Pocket watches represent relative time ? No, they represent an attempt to measure time. Whether they keep good time, in relation to one another, or the atomic clock in Denver, is irrelevant.

The measurement is not what is being measured, it only represents it to those wanting a measurement.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,344
    Yep.
    Time - Wikipedia

"Time in physics is unambiguously operationally defined as 'what a clock reads'"

A pocket watch is just one of the possible clocks. The atomic clock in Denver is another possible clock. Literally, all clocks in physics are attempts to measure time.

What does that even mean?

#51 Terry Sampson, Oct 14, 2019
  12. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    christian
    If true, that shows that time cannot be limited to physics. I might ask how physics could measure if any time existed in some section of the universe where there were no clocks?
    Attempts to measure something does not mean such attempts define and compose what is trying to be measured. The mere act of observation does not constitute anything more than observing what is happening or exists or whose effects exist.

13. Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Religion:
    Christian
    You might want to rethink that 'God is neither male or female'. God is referred to as male because He is male. Society is dominated and controlled by males because God is male.

Jesus Christ, The Son, took on a male body because God is male.

Good-Ole-Rebel

14. Native

Native Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist

Ratings:
    +453
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    It´s the other way around, I think. It was just the Abrahamic cultures which discarded the female part of JHVH, goddess Ashera, and then some cultures became male dominated and skewed and even the translation of the Bible became non sensical in many departments.

15. shmogie

Ratings:
    +1,876
    Religion:
    Christian
    God is pure energy and light, do you think He has sexual organs ?

The plan given by God is hierarchical, just like it is in Heaven. On earth the head of the various units including the family is a male.

For humans to relate the heavenly version of this, God is identified as a male.

That is why Christ is a male.

In the case Of God, it is allegorical,symbolic

16. shmogie

Ratings:
    +1,876
    Religion:
    Christian
    It means what your pocket watch reads on itś dial isn´t time. It is a measurement of time.

If I use a tape measure to lay out a swimming pool, the tape measure isn´t the pool, it is the measurement of the pool.

17. Good-Ole-Rebel

Ratings:
    +301
    Religion:
    Christian
    God is male in the Bible. You can blame it on culture all you want, but it was not culture. God dictated the culture of Israel, and the Church. Culture of pagans did not dictate to God.

Good-Ole-Rebel

18. Good-Ole-Rebel

Ratings:
    +301
    Religion:
    Christian
    We are created in the image of God. Correct? If I have sexual organs it is because God does also.

God is identified as male because He is male.

So, God is an allegory? How about Jesus?...Him too?

Good-Ole-Rebel

19. sealchan

sealchan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,970
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think that it may be the case that the authors of Genesis intentionally left this discrepancy between day and night happening as a solar thing AND as a pre-solar thing in their account. While day and night are the usual understandings of the movement of time based on the movement of these "heavenly bodies" I believe that the authors also wanted to communicate a sense of time beyond that strict association. The incongruous use of day and night before the sun and moon may have been effort to address this sense that time must have pre-existed the sun and moon although there is no language to clearly state this in a direct way. That is, to the audience time and the motion of the sun are inseparable, but the authors of this passage in Genesis recognized that this was not strictly the case. This, discrepancy in the narrative, may have had an air of mystery and fascination for the intended audience. Mystery is and will always be a conveyor of significant truth.

#59 sealchan, Oct 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. susanblange

susanblange Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Religion:
    Jewish/New Age
    On earth, God will inhabit the body of a woman. The name of God has been kept secret as well as her gender. That is why we don't know the given name of God. If we knew the name of God, we would know the God of Israel is a woman and Israel would've been weakened by it.