• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throw Grandma in Jail and Throw Away the Key?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
@It Aint Necessarily So , @Revoltingest, @F1fan , @Secret Chief , @Subduction Zone

Just as a point of reference...

Here we have a grandmother of 60+ years who has lived a stellar life but was taking pictures while police waved people into the Capitol and now is going to spend 3 months in jail.

OK.

Legally, the judge has every right to do so. I cry out for mercy but "no" is the answer. Rather, it had been mentioned, "They were already lenient and if anything it should have been a harsher judgement". (Paraphrased)

So... fine... it is within the law, but it made me think.

Such a small infraction in the name of "insurrection against the Government!

As my signature details and in my view, here we have people who have committed many more crimes than this Grandmother, voice insurrection against the Government of God, but it is wrong if those who are against God receive a sentence? When it is God Himself that says "I want to give mercy -- please receive it. I don't want anyone to perish!"

But the response is "NO - I don't believe in your government, your right to execute what is with judicial privilege and the ultimate judge"

"UNJUST" people cry! How could a God be so mean...

And, yet, we want Grandma in jail.

Is that unequal weights? Why is it different? (Within the Christian context)

I am unaware of this case is there a link?

InChrist

Free4ever
I
Perhaps a more useful question to a voter is which candidates have less moral failings? Not Trump - Hes on the big end of moral failure.

In my opinion
I agree, Trump is so arrogant, too. I think Biden’s moral are pretty creepy, too, especially the way he touches little children and whispers in their ears, pulling them closer even when they try moving away from him. He does that right on camera, so what goes on in private?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I

I agree, Trump is so arrogant, too. I think Biden’s moral are pretty creepy, too, especially the way he touches little children and whispers in their ears, pulling them closer even when they try moving away from him. He does that right on camera, so what goes on in private?

Seems a bit harsh, a lot of elderly people do the same thing. I remember one of my grandmothers did the same thing.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not at all. There’s no personality change at all, if you know how to read and comprehend the scriptures.
The way to read and comprehend the books of the bible is to approach them with historical method, the same as you'd approach any other ancient document. In each case what, where, when, who, why? What corroboration exists in other texts or in archaeology for what is reported? If the document's argument is accepted, who benefits?

And so on.

When we first meet the bible God in archaeology, [he]'s a tribal God in the Canaanite pantheon and it appears that as is usual [he] has a consort, Asherah. When we first meet the bible God in the bible, that's no longer the case, but [he]'s still just one of many Canaanite gods. That's why the commandment says you shall not have any gods BEFORE him, and doesn't say, Ain't no other gods. And there's ─

Judges 11;24 Will you not possess what Chemosh your god gives you to possess? And all that the LORD our God has dispossessed before us, we will possess.
and

Psalms 82:1 God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment.

Psalms 86:8 There is none like thee among the gods, O Lord,
nor are there any works like thine.

Psalms 95:3 For the Lord is a great god,
and a great King above all gods.
As you know, the assertion that your god is better than their god is called "henotheism".

Not till after the Babylonian capitivity does God get to be the only god.

Not till Christianity does [he] become two gods, on the one hand remaining the Jewish God and on the other becoming the distinct Christian God, who, thanks in no small part to Paul, no long requires the Jewish covenant of circumcision to be observed.

Not until the 4th century, when the Trinity doctrine is adopted, does the Christian god become triune (notwithstanding that in the NT the Jesus of Paul, the Jesus of Mark, the Jesus of Matthew, the Jesus of Luke and the Jesus of John each expressly deny they're God, and would have looked silly had they not, praying "If it be my will, let this cup pass from me" for instance).

And now we have the Jesus of the Mormons, the Jesus of the Rastafarians, and the Jesuses of the very many (tens of thousands, the net suggests) distinct Christian sects.

The way God is the same yesterday today and tomorrow is in the way [he] keeps changing.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
@KenS only
Something very wrong going on there, and it's not granny. Sickening to read this.
In Holland the police was instructed to beat up innocent non violent protesters and hit them on the head till they bleed, obvious just to set an example that from now on..."befehl ist befehl".
Reading posts on RF, it seems to me some don't mind or even rejoice in this "New Normal". Reminds me of WW2 tactics of Hitler. My grandfather, who fought against it warned till his death, that this fascism etc is still alive. He was right, and we're in for a lot of trouble, IMO

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think Biden’s moral are pretty creepy, too, especially the way he touches little children and whispers in their ears, pulling them closer even when they try moving away from him. He does that right on camera, so what goes on in private?
'Fact-checking the pedophilia attacks against Joe Biden
IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT
  • There is no credible evidence that supports this claim. In Joe Biden’s more than 40 years of public life, we could find no news reports, formal accusations, complaints, arrests or investigations that implicate him in any sort of sex crimes involving kids.'
Source: PolitiFact - Fact-checking the pedophilia attacks against Joe Biden

In short the images allegedly of Biden touching children inappropriately are in reality taken out of context or have been edited to incorrectly suggest something improper.

I won't ask you to read the article, but I will point out that bearing false witness is a sin according to the Bible.

In my opinion.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@It Aint Necessarily So , @Revoltingest, @F1fan , @Secret Chief , @Subduction Zone

Here we have a grandmother of 60+ years who has lived a stellar life but was taking pictures while police waved people into the Capitol and now is going to spend 3 months in jail.

OK.

Legally, the judge has every right to do so. I cry out for mercy but "no" is the answer. Rather, it had been mentioned, "They were already lenient and if anything it should have been a harsher judgement". (Paraphrased)

As my signature details and in my view, here we have people who have committed many more crimes than this Grandmother, voice insurrection against the Government of God, but it is wrong if those who are against God receive a sentence? When it is God Himself that says "I want to give mercy -- please receive it. I don't want anyone to perish!"

But the response is "NO - I don't believe in your government, your right to execute what is with judicial privilege and the ultimate judge"

This is just a rehash of the original thread. "Stellar granny"? Even better than just "granny." Dear old granny, the law doesn't apply to her, even when she's deceiving and lying to the police (as per linked article in #14). Feel free to twist my words again.
1F075C9A-934D-4B0A-8ECD-DAF37D0B9B75.jpeg

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

OK.

Based on this, 3 months is a very light sentence. The judge was very lenient.
Idaho Woman, 69, Gets Jail Time After 'Needlessly' Distracting Police on Jan. 6

Prosecutor Katherine Nielsen played video during the hearing that appeared to show Hemphill interacting with police officers who were trying to help her.

“I had to get out of that crowd,” Hemphill could be heard telling an officer. “I had surgery.”

“I understand, I don’t want you being hurt,” the officer said.

“I’m a journalist, they took my breath out,” Hemphill also said.

“I’m sorry for this situation,” an officer replied, before telling Hemphill to take refuge near a gate.
Hemphill, however, did not take any refuge, and a subsequent video appeared to show her encouraging the crowd to press forward into the Capitol instead.

“Just come on in,” she can be heard yelling at the crowd. “It’s your house, whose house does it belong to?”

“You just come in, come on in, come on, have fun, you just come in, it’s all you do,” she is also heard saying. “This is your house. Your house!”

The Jan. 6 melee was not Hemphill’s first time storming a government building: prosecutors say that in August 2020, Hemphill was part of a crowd that stormed the Idaho Statehouse—shattering a glass door in the process—while protesting COVID-19 restrictions.

She is hardcore repeat rioter and insurrectionist. She should have gotten more jail time.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The Jan. 6 melee was not Hemphill’s first time storming a government building: prosecutors say that in August 2020, Hemphill was part of a crowd that stormed the Idaho Statehouse—shattering a glass door in the process—while protesting COVID-19 restrictions.

A stellar grandma:

" “We broke the same glass in Boise, Idaho,” Hemphill said in one video shot from the U.S. Capitol doors, flagged by the Idaho Statesman.
---
In a brief phone call with TPM Thursday, Bundy said Hemphill was involved early on in the People’s Rights movement*, from the “second or third meeting.”
---
According to the affidavit in Hemphill’s case from a Boise-based FBI agent, Hemphill broadcast her intentions in the days before the Capitol riot.

In a Facebook post on Dec. 28, for example, she allegedly wrote, “It’s not going to be a FUN Trump Rally that is planned for January 6th, its a WAR** ! "
---
In response to a comment from someone nearby, Hemphill allegedly said: “Oh yeah. We broke the glass door. Watch the video. I’m with People’s Rights. Ammon Bundy.” "

- First, She Stormed A State Capitol With Ammon Bundy. Then, She Stormed Congress, Feds Say.

To describe such a person as stellar seems disingenuous. Self-proclaimed war monger** and member of a far-right organisation seems a more accurate description. I couldn't say what the Christian god says about deception.

* "In March 2020, Bundy created the far-right People’s Rights network."
- Ammon Bundy - Wikipedia

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am unaware of this case is there a link?
I posted a link to a story earlier.

Seems she entered the Capitol, egged more protestors on to get inside, then when they encountered police, she feigned an injury to distract the cops so that others intent on violence could get away.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Is there really such a thing as a "small infraction" when people convened for reasons that are antithetical to patriotism? I suppose when her actions are compared to some others, ok, but the fact remains these people were there to disrupt democracy and collectively, big and small infractions alike, were part of a failed coup.

There should be a zero-tolerance policy to ensure this kind of attack is less likely to occur. Or at the least any "sweet old granmas with sterling records" think twice about participating in something they don't want to pay the consequences for when it blows up in their faces.

As for God, last time I heard he wasn't an elected government official, and the laws by which society agrees to abide by are manmade laws. That pesky Establishment Clause, I know. But... "thank God"... those laws are there. They just need to be better enforced.

So we are back to opening prisons by 300% because there is no such thing a a "small infraction" whether antithetical to patriotism or antithetical to a country of laws and then letting it blow up in their faces.

As for God... He has a Kingdom which, by the definition, means that there is a government and there are laws. So, as I said, the King has every right to then judge humanity and it isn't humanity's right to judge the King. He just enforces the rules with much more mercy and grace than what we humans do.

Kenny

Premium Member
I don't think that granny needed prison, probation, & a fine
to learn her lesson. But punishment is also a message to
the masses: Behave, or you get the pokey.
That is a good judgement. I tip my hat off to you! And put in prison those who broke the entry points. But not those who were waved in by the police.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 7.29.13 AM.png

Kenny

Premium Member
Last edited: