• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three types of people?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
From my present viewpoint as a tantric practitoner, there are roughly speaking three types of people.

a. Tantric or Mystic type
- who believe in and practise practical forms of spirituality, are not persuaded by superstitious beliefs and don't believe in the artificial boundaries between religions or other systems
b. Religious type
- who believe that they are in a rather fixed, delineated and privileged religion and will get rewarded for having made that particular choice
c. Atheist or Agnostic type
- who think that anything that cannot be grasped by the senses or is not measurable by instruments or knowable by objective science is a human fantasy or unreal including spiritual advancement
- they just live their life without a higher spiritual goal and just try to enjoy life physically and/or mentally

This is roughly how I see it now.
Do you have any better ideas regarding this sort of typology or serious objections to it?

Your clarifications are points along the way, there is much overlap between them.

For example, i know spiritual atheists. Religious officials who have no belief in God

BTW, atheism is the disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. Nothing more, nothing less.

funny-quote-always-remember-that-you-are-absolutely-unique-just-like-1894.jpg

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheist or Agnostic type
- who think that anything that cannot be grasped by the senses or is not measurable by instruments or knowable by objective science is a human fantasy or unreal including spiritual advancement
- they just live their life without a higher spiritual goal and just try to enjoy life physically and/or mentally

That's a pretty cartoonish depiction of atheists. Basically, we're empty vessels with the curiosity and inner life of a Roomba mindlessly banging around the room of life collecting data about it but never seeing the soul of the room, uninterested in what they can't see or touch, spiritually stunted, unenlightened and unaware of their potential, preoccupied with materialistic pursuits, and living empty lives as others reach higher planes of existence.

The religious are guilty of the same, viewing us as spiritually defective, mindless, unenlightened Roombas bumping into furniture, but defiant, hedonistic ones.

Most atheists are secular humanists. We're thoughtful, compassionate people whose worldview is considered and philosophical. We have a naturalistic metaphysics, but our world is no less inspiring or meaningful for that, nor our inner life any less robust. As @Evangelicalhumanist indicated, we think in terms of personal growth, but don't call it a spiritual journey. This year has been an excellent opportunity to reassess what matters most in life, and what kind of a person one wants to be as he reintegrates into society and rebuilds one's social structure.

Spirituality is not the sole domain of those who invoke spirits, love herbalism, talk about a higher being, invoke unseen forces, or embrace various rituals. It belongs to everybody that is contemplative and connected to people, the beasts, and one's surroundings. For me, it's a simple, uncluttered life free from contention and unhealthy attachments, a life of peace, equanimity, love, and beauty. Spirituality is found in the mundane aspects of daily life. No gods or chants needed, just mindfulness.

firedragon

Veteran Member
From my present viewpoint as a tantric practitoner, there are roughly speaking three types of people.

- who believe in and practise practical forms of spirituality, are not persuaded by superstitious beliefs and don't believe in the artificial boundaries between religions or other systems
b. Religious type
- who believe that they are in a rather fixed, delineated and privileged religion and will get rewarded for having made that particular choice

Do you have any better ideas regarding this sort of typology or serious objections to it?

Brother. There are also some "religious type" who identify themselves as religious but "MAYBE" inside their hearts they are atheists.

There are definitely Atheists who are actually in their hearts theists. In the U.S, the PEW research showed about 18% of atheists believe in some higher power.

What is most important to note is that to identify this kind of "types of people" one would have to do a research with an exploratory methodology.

PureX

Veteran Member

b. Religious type

I think most people overlap to various degrees in all three of those delineations.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

No serious objections. But can a person straddle the boundaries?

Consider themselves a practicing Mystic, but also be Religious (minus thoughts of exclusivity), while also maintaining an aire of Agnoaticism, because until we die know one knows anything for sure?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

b. Religious type

Two types. The world is crazy except I.

Heyo

Veteran Member
There are two kinds of people, those who devide people into two (or more) kinds and those who don't.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

b. Religious type

The one thing that does stand out to me is that I would say the mystic type is exactly the group that has the most superstitious beliefs out of them all. They are the supernatural seekers, and they are into at least one thing, generally more, that can bring about a supernatural experience. As such, they are the people that buy into (often literally) supernatural beliefs looking for those experiences.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I liked your write up. I would only suggest that Mystics come in all types, and there are those mystics who do subscribe to superstitious beliefs. You will find them in all sects of all religions, although truly some sects are far more inclined to kick them out. :)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone kicked out of a religion for being a mystic.
Certain fundamentalist Christian sects are so Bible only, that anyone claiming to have a mystical experience is simply considered odd and suspect. It is no surprise that Protestantism does not have a mystical tradition.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I liked your write up. I would only suggest that Mystics come in all types, and there are those mystics who do subscribe to superstitious beliefs. You will find them in all sects of all religions, although truly some sects are far more inclined to kick them out. :)
The question arises whether certain mystically evolved people can outgrow their religion.
I think yes, when people become more mystical, the narrow ideas of religion are left behind and the differences between religions become unimportant.

But not every religion is equally accomodating to mystic practice and some paths are so mystic or tantric that I would no longer call them religions (such as Sufism). They will attract the first category of people more easily.

Clara Tea

b. Religious type

When placing people into categories, I note that some try to fool others. For example, you'd think that the son of Reverend Robert Schuller (of Crystal Cathedral fame) was recently filmed outdoors in public with booze in one arm, a scantily clad woman in the other arm, and his pants pulled down with his penis hanging out (enjoying the $50 million sale of the Crystal Cathedral). He is also the president of Liberty University, a Christian college. Surely he doesn't believe in God (or he got so drunk that his morals were compromised). We can't, therefore, categorize him as religious (if it appears that he doesn't follow the teachings of Jesus or God). Nor can we categorize him as Tantric or Mystic. W e must, therefore, categorize him as Atheist. But it seems unfair to defame the good name of atheists by such vulgar and prurient behavior.

There is no proof that God exists. Theists have faith that God exists, so they believe without proof. This philosophy tends to leave them susceptible to carney hucksters and con men who masquerade as religious leaders. Some follow Reverend Tex Watson (mass murderer and member of the infamous Manson Family). They say that he has atoned--I doubt it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

b. Religious type

Sound right in my understanding:)
I think others would out me in the first category :confused:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
These could perhaps be considered the three primary colours of the spiritual spectrum.

We could then allow for an almost limitless palette, once life, nature and humanity begin to mix the colours up.
But only if the colors allow you to mix them up. That does not happen often, although I see the mystic type and the religious type mixed at times.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

b. Religious type

If I had to fit a type, I guess I would say I am a b. Religious type and although I do not believe I am in a privileged religion I do believe I will get rewarded for having made that particular choice although that is not the reason for making the choice.
But I do not really fit very well into the religious type because I am not very religious in terms of practices and social engagement. So I think of myself more as a spiritually-minded person who believes in a religion

I also have a bent towards the c. Atheist or Agnostic type but I cannot be an atheist or an agnostic because I know God exists.
Also, I do not think that anything that cannot be grasped by the senses or is not measurable by instruments or knowable by objective science is a human fantasy or unreal including spiritual advancement and I do not just live their life without a higher spiritual goal and just try to enjoy life physically and/or mentally.
The reason I say I have an atheist/agnostic bent is that I have certain issues with God and certain religious beliefs that drive me absolutely insane and many agnostic/atheists have similar issues. :eek:

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

But only if the colors allow you to mix them up. That does not happen often, although I see the mystic type and the religious type mixed at times.

I think that, despite our best (worst) efforts to keep things neat and separate, the colours tend run together naturally. In all things, really. Everything in this world is shifting, all the time, including our most fixed convictions.

if there is anything that doesn’t change, it seems to me that thing is God. Whether God is real or not.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think that, despite our best (worst) efforts to keep things neat and separate, the colours tend run together naturally. In all things, really. Everything in this world is shifting, all the time, including our most fixed convictions.
Yes, I believe that things run together naturally and that is in accordance with my beliefs that we are all one people....
I also believe that everything changes, and it is changing now even more rapidly than it was in the past ages. We can see it changing all around us if we look.
if there is anything that doesn’t change, it seems to me that thing is God. Whether God is real or not.
I am sure God is real, but that's just me. ;)
I do not believe God ever changes but I believe God's message to humanity changes in every new age.