• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Days and Three Nights

psychoslice

Veteran Member
psychoslice,

re: "Myself I don't take the story literally, so it doesn't bother me the least.

I'm afraid I don't see where I asked to hear from someone who isn't bothered by some story.

Yes its a bother when taken literally, again that's why it doesn't bother me, I do see the spiritual side of things, and for me it makes more sense to do so.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

If Jesus was crucified on Friday afternoon; and he was on the Cross for a couple of hours; then there is no case of his death on the Cross. Nobody dies in such a short time.

The Christian Gospels; just to link Jesus to Jonah's remaining in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights try to prove that Jesus remained in the belly of the earth for three days and three nights; the Christians try to fabricate that Jesus complete this period of three days and night.

They can probably fit a square peg in a round hole; but they cannot prove anyway that Jesus completed three days and three nights in the tomb of Joseph Arimathea.

Did he?

Regards

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?

Years ago, a Christian preacher tried to explain this on his show.

To be literal, the crucifixion would need be done on our Wednesday.
Buried before night fall, His body would lay until Saturday morning....
the Sabbath as to Jewish faith.

allright

It probably means it was 3 days and 3 nights but spread over 4 days

Jesus buried before sunset on Thursday 1/2 day

Friday & Saturday night day 2 full days

Jesus rose before daylight Sunday 1/2 day

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Jesus buried before sunset on Friday 1/2 day

Saturday & Sunday night day 2 full days

Jesus rose before daylight Monday 1/2 day

Jesus/Jews followed lunar calender; your calculation is incorrect.

Regards

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
Matthew uses the phrase “three days and three nights” in reference to Jonah.-

Matthew 12

38 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.”
39 He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here.

Matthew very often uses scriptural references to establish the credentials of Jesus as the Messiah. This reference to Jonah is nicely apropos since ‘innocent’ Jonah was used as a sacrifice and was returned to life.

Jonah 1

14 Then they cried out to the LORD, “Please, LORD, do not let us die for taking this man’s life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, LORD, have done as you pleased.” 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm
17 Now the LORD provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

The problem with “three days and three nights” is that Matthew also repeatedly says that Jesus will be killed and “raised to life” on “the third day”. (Mt 16:21, 17:23, 20:19) If it is to be three full days and nights “in the heart of the earth”, then Jesus would be raised on the fourth day. But if the resurrection happens on the third day (possibly at night) then the third day is not a full 24 hours. If that is the case then the first day may not be a full 24 hours either.

Examples have been given elsewhere of counting the first day when tallying totals. Here is another one. Pentecost means the fiftieth day. However it is only the forty-ninth day following Easter. It is only the fiftieth day if one counts Easter as the first day.

Another alternative is that Matthew simply wanted to use Jonah to add to his arsenal of references and was not terribly concerned about the math. After all he used the Greek ‘virgin’ instead of the original Hebrew ‘young woman’ and had Jesus enter Jerusalem on two donkeys because Zechariah said it twice.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

If Jesus was crucified on Friday afternoon; and he was on the Cross for a couple of hours; then there is no case of his death on the Cross. Nobody dies in such a short time.
You do if you've already been beaten and scourged severely. The amount of blood loss and sheer exhaustion from just the scourging and walking to Golgotha would have been tremendous. He would have been far too tired to keep himself upright on the cross, leading to fluid buildup in the lungs and eventual death by pulmonary edema far quicker than normal.

The Christian Gospels; just to link Jesus to Jonah's remaining in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights try to prove that Jesus remained in the belly of the earth for three days and three nights; the Christians try to fabricate that Jesus complete this period of three days and night.
It's a typological thing. Jonah in the belly of the whale and eventual re-emergence from there foreshadows Jesus in the tomb and eventual resurrection.

They can probably fit a square peg in a round hole; but they cannot prove anyway that Jesus completed three days and three nights in the tomb of Joseph Arimathea.

Did he?

Regards
Physical evidence on a lot of stuff about most common people from 2000 years ago is hard to come by.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

Jesus buried before sunset on Thursday 1/2 day

Friday & Saturday night day 2 full days

Jesus rose before daylight Sunday 1/2 day
Friday was day 1, Saturday was day 2, Sunday morning counted as day 3.

rstrats

Someone new looking in who thinks the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who tries to get around Matthew 12:40 by saying it is using common idiomatic language of the period may know of some writing.

Ken Brown

Someone new looking in may know of some writing.
Shalom rstrats, Yeshua was entombed for a full three days and three nights just as He said His sign would be.

When you look at Jonah 2, Jonah saw how his being in the belly of the hugh fish for three days and three nights was like being in "sheol," the grave/hell. And this is what Yeshua saw concerning Himself.

The way to prove that Yeshua was three days and three nights in the tomb, is to look at the "High Day" Sabbath which ALWAYS falls the day after Passover (on the 15th day of the 1st month, the 1st Sabbath of Unleavened Bread). This is the Sabbath that they were preparing for (Jn 19:14 & 31), a special Sabbath, or HIGH Day Sabbath, and it fell from Wednesday sunset through Thursday sunset. AFTER this Sabbath, as Mark 16:1 states, the women BUY spices, and then as Luke 23:56 states, the women prepare those spices and REST on the WEEKLY Sabbath, in obedience to the commandment. It was on FRIDAY, the 16th day of the 1st month, the day AFTER the HIGH Sabbath had past that the women bought and prepared the spices and ointments after they had RETURNED as Luke says, and after preparing them, RESTED on the weekly, 7th day Sabbath (Saturday) in obedience to the commandment. This timeframe allows for three days and three nights as Yeshua went into the tomb right at sunset on Wednesday, and was rasied right at sunset on Saturday. A Friday crucifixion is deception and trying to change what really happened.

Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

rstrats

Ken Brown,

re: "A Friday crucifixion is deception and trying to change what really happened."

Since you're not a sixth day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably don't know of any writing as requested in the OP.

BTW, what is there in Mark 16:1 that precludes the women from buying spices after the weekly Sabbath?

Ken Brown

Ken Brown,

re: "A Friday crucifixion is deception and trying to change what really happened."

Since you're not a sixth day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably don't know of any writing as requested in the OP.

BTW, what is there in Mark 16:1 that precludes the women from buying spices after the weekly Sabbath?
Shalom rstrats, concerning the OP, are you look for something like this:

Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, tenth in the descent from Ezra was very specific: "A day and a night are an Onah ['a portion of time'] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it" [J.Talmud, Shabbath 9.3 and b.Talmud, Pesahim 4a]
I know some will argue with this, but the Messiah was specific in giving HIS Sign (three days and three nights), and He also spake elsewhere, "are there not twelve hours in the day?" Those who want to promote the Friday crucifixion, will ignore the specifics of what Yeshua said, and try to explain His words away with idioms. Seems pretty idiotic to me.

Concerning your last question. Basically one would have to consider that after the Sabbath (Saturday evening at night) shop owners would be opening up their shops to do business, after the Sabbath had past. This just doesn't seem very likely in that time frame, as electric lighting wasn't available, and nighttime business would be "in the dark."

One needs to look at Luke's account, as the women who followed Yeshua from Galilee, RETURNED and made the spices and ointments, and THEN rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment (obviously, this would have been Friday at sunset). On the other hand, Mark is not writing from the perspective of the Weekly Sabbath when he says the women purchased the spices AFTER the Sabbath had past. His account is from the perspective of High Day Sabbath (15th day of 1st month, 1st Day of Unleavened Bread Sabbath) passing or ending, which would have been Thursday sunset. This would allow for Friday, the 16th day of the 1st month, to be AFTER the High Day Sabbath was PAST, but before the WEEKLY Sabbath had begun, making both Mark's and Luke's account work, along with giving us three days and three night of Yeshua being in the tomb. Hope this helps, and blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

rstrats

Ken Brown,

re: "...concerning the OP, are you look for something like this:"

I'm afraid I'm not. I'm looking for actual writing from the first century which shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights where it absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specified number of days and at least a part of each one of the specified number of nights.

Just as an aside, though, Azariah's interpretation of the meaning of the phrase, "A day and a night make an Onah, and a part of an Onah is as the whole" doesn't seem to make sense. On the one hand he is saying that a day AND a night define an Onah and then he turns right around and then says that an Onah doesn't have to consist of a day and a night.

re: "Concerning your last question. Basically one would have to consider that after the Sabbath (Saturday evening at night) shop owners would be opening up their shops to do business, after the Sabbath had past. This just doesn't seem very likely in that time frame, as electric lighting wasn't available, and nighttime business would be 'in the dark'."

But would it have been impossible? If someone dies on the Sabbath I would think there might be a need to make the burial preparations as soon after the Sabbath as possible. To that end might there not be a shop that opens to provide the necessary items in the case of Sabbath deaths? They had lamps so lighting would not be an issue.

Ken Brown

Ken Brown,

re: "...concerning the OP, are you look for something like this:"

I'm afraid I'm not. I'm looking for actual writing from the first century which shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights where it absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specified number of days and at least a part of each one of the specified number of nights.

Just as an aside, though, Azariah's interpretation of the meaning of the phrase, "A day and a night make an Onah, and a part of an Onah is as the whole" doesn't seem to make sense. On the one hand he is saying that a day AND a night define an Onah and then he turns right around and then says that an Onah doesn't have to consist of a day and a night.

re: "Concerning your last question. Basically one would have to consider that after the Sabbath (Saturday evening at night) shop owners would be opening up their shops to do business, after the Sabbath had past. This just doesn't seem very likely in that time frame, as electric lighting wasn't available, and nighttime business would be 'in the dark'."

But would it have been impossible? If someone dies on the Sabbath I would think there might be a need to make the burial preparations as soon after the Sabbath as possible. To that end might there not be a shop that opens to provide the necessary items in the case of Sabbath deaths? They had lamps so lighting would not be an issue.
Shalom rstrats, I guess you will need to have someone else give you what you want from the OP.

So it appears you may not want to combine Mark and Luke's accounts together? Why? And have you ever researched what preparing burial spices and ointments took to make? Please consider that the women are OUT at the tomb, away from where they had come from, the sun was setting, they WATCH as the stone is rolled over the entrance to the tomb, and the Sabbath is beginning. How in the world could they according to Luke, RETURN, and then prepare the spices and ointments BEFORE they had to REST on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment? If anyone uses
just a little reasoning and logic, it should be apparent that there was no possible way for Yeshua to have been put in the tomb right at sunset on Friday. There just wasn't enough time for the women to RETURN, and start a fire, boil oils, add the spices, let it simmer and then cool, and finally skim off the perfumes/ointments, and THEN rest on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment. Luke's account does not allow for all of this to happen on Friday at sunset, and the only way to explain this is for Yeshua to have been put in the tomb right at sunset on Wednesday, as the High Day Sabbath was beginning, and then on FRIDAY, after this Sabbath had past or elapsed, the women go out and purchase the ingredients, and then prepare them ALL DAY LONG, to where they had to rest for the weekly Sabbath starting Friday at sunset.

I think that looking at Mark's account needs closer examination. In Mark 16:1, Mark uses the singular form of the Greek word for Sabbath, and does not use the definite article. This indicates that Mark is saying a Sabbath is past or elapsing. But in Mark 16:2, Mark uses the Greek word, with the definite article, for the word translated "first," and this word simple means "one." Also in this verse, Mark uses the PLURAL form of the word for Sabbath(s), with the definite article here also. Try to follow this. In verse 1, a Sabbath has past, and the women go out and purchase the ingredients. In verse 2, THE One, of THE Sabbaths is mentioned. The translators have little to no understanding of what Mark is referring to, so they translate it as the "first day of the week." This is an incorrect translation, and what Mark is referring to is the COUNTING of the Omer as commanded in the Torah. Verse 2 is speaking about THE DAY One of counting to FIFTY through the SEVEN SABBATHS to Shavu'ot/Pentecost.

Lev 23:15 - 23:16
15 ‘You shall also count for yourselves from the day after the sabbath, from the day when you brought in the sheaf of the wave offering; there shall be seven complete sabbaths.
16 ‘You shall count fifty days to the day after the seventh sabbath; then you shall present a new grain offering to Yahweh.
So the proper translation of Mark 16:1-2 should be as follows:

Mk 16:1 - 16:2
1 And when a sabbath (singular) was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the [mother] of James, and Salome, bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
2 And very early in the morning THE One of THE Sabbaths (plural), they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
Please note that in verse 2 the Greek word for ONE is used, G1520, and later in verse 9, Mark uses the Greek word for FIRST, G4413, as this day was ALSO the first day of the week, the morrow after the weekly Sabbath (Saturday), THE day ONE of counting to fifty through the seven Sabbaths, as verse 2 states. What does this all show. It shows that there were TWO separate Sabbaths, a Sabbath for the High Day, and the WEEKLY Sabbath where you have on the morrow after that Sabbath, The DAY One of the counting to Shavu'ot/Pentecost through the seven Sabbaths. Hopefully this helps a little, and Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

rstrats

Ken Brown,

Firstly let me say that I did not start this topic with the intention of discussing the day of the crucifixion. There are topics started by others that have been doing that. I merely am concerned with the information requested in the OP. And secondly, I think that Matthew 12:40 and Luke 24:21 indicate that the crucifixion could not have taken place any later than the 5th day of the week.

re: " I guess you will need to have someone else give you what you want from the OP."

That appears to be the case, especially since you are not a 6th day crucifixion advocate. However, someone new looking in who does think that the crucifixion occurred on the 6th day of the week, and who tries to get around Matthew 12:40 by saying that it is using common Jewish idiomatic language, will be able to support that contention by providing the writing requested in the OP.

re: "... it appears you may not want to combine Mark and Luke's accounts together? Why?"

While these two verses do seem to make a pretty compelling case for two separate sabbaths, I was suggesting that they are not a slam dunk for a day other than the 6th day for the crucifixion--- that if the crucifixion took place on the 6th day, that the women could have worked a short while on the spices that they already had before the seventh day Sabbath began, rested on the seventh day Sabbath, and after it ended, immediately gone out and bought more spices to finish their preparations.

re: "... have you ever researched what preparing burial spices and ointments took to make?"

No I haven't. But of course I will now have to do that based on your comments regarding the issue.

Ken Brown

Ken Brown,

Firstly let me say that I did not start this topic with the intention of discussing the day of the crucifixion. There are topics started by others that have been doing that. I merely am concerned with the information requested in the OP. And secondly, I think that Matthew 12:40 and Luke 24:21 indicate that the crucifixion could not have taken place any later than the 5th day of the week.

re: " I guess you will need to have someone else give you what you want from the OP."

That appears to be the case, especially since you are not a 6th day crucifixion advocate. However, someone new looking in who does think that the crucifixion occurred on the 6th day of the week, and who tries to get around Matthew 12:40 by saying that it is using common Jewish idiomatic language, will be able to support that contention by providing the writing requested in the OP.

re: "... it appears you may not want to combine Mark and Luke's accounts together? Why?"

While these two verses do seem to make a pretty compelling case for two separate sabbaths, I was suggesting that they are not a slam dunk for a day other than the 6th day for the crucifixion--- that if the crucifixion took place on the 6th day, that the women could have worked a short while on the spices that they already had before the seventh day Sabbath began, rested on the seventh day Sabbath, and after it ended, immediately gone out and bought more spices to finish their preparations.

re: "... have you ever researched what preparing burial spices and ointments took to make?"

No I haven't. But of course I will now have to do that based on your comments regarding the issue.
Shalom rstrats, I will go ahead and let you keep this thread on topic, as you desire, but I would like to address Luke 24:21 before I leave.

Luke 24:21 appears to be a slam dunk in saying that Sunday was the third day, but it is far from that. The translators basically had a bias in translating this verse to follow their preconceived idea that Sunday was the third day. Sunday was not the third day, but rather the fourth day, and it is very easy to see once it has been expounded to you. It all hinges on the Greek word G71 (ago) that the translators ignored, and inserted an "is" instead of what this word truly means, "to lead away."

Here is that same word used by Luke in the previous chapter:

Lk 23:32 Two others also, who were criminals, were being led away (G71) to be put to death with Him.
When Luke 24:21 is properly translated, it should be rendered thusly:

"But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. But even more so, together with all these things, today leads away (G71) the third day since these things were done."
These two disciples were downcast, they were sad because THAT DAY was LEADING AWAY the third day, the third day had already come and gone as that Sunday (today) was leading the third day away (the previous day, the Sabbath). If they were saying that "today IS the third day," why be so sad, as there was yet time for their hope to come true?

So rstrats, don't let the mistranslation of Luke 24:21 keep you from properly understanding three days and three nights. Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.