• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Days and Three Nights

rstrats

And that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.
Has one read book of Jonah?:
Jonah Chapter 2 יוֹנָה
א וַיְמַן יְהוָה דָּג גָּדוֹל, לִבְלֹעַ אֶת-יוֹנָה; וַיְהִי יוֹנָה בִּמְעֵי הַדָּג, שְׁלֹשָׁה יָמִים וּשְׁלֹשָׁה לֵילוֹת. 1 And the LORD prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
ב וַיִּתְפַּלֵּל יוֹנָה, אֶל-יְהוָה אֱלֹהָיו, מִמְּעֵי, הַדָּגָה. 2 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly.
ג וַיֹּאמֶר, קָרָאתִי מִצָּרָה לִי אֶל-יְהוָה--וַיַּעֲנֵנִי; מִבֶּטֶן שְׁאוֹל שִׁוַּעְתִּי, שָׁמַעְתָּ קוֹלִי. 3 And he said: I called out of mine affliction unto the LORD, and He answered me; out of the belly of the nether-world cried I, and Thou heardest my voice.
Jonah 2 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

Right friend, please?

Regards

rstrats

paarsurrey,
re: "Has one read book of Jonah?:"

I don't see where Jonah shows examples of where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur. What do you have in mind?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey,
re: "Has one read book of Jonah?:"

I don't see where Jonah shows examples of where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur. What do you have in mind?
I don't get one exactly. Please elaborate.
Jonah knew what day he was thrown in the sea and what day he emerged out of the belly of the fish, and he was all along alive, didn't die for a moment. Right friend, please?

Regards

rstrats

paarsurrey,
re: "I don't get one exactly."

I don't understand. What "one" don't you get?

re: "Jonah knew what day he was thrown in the sea and what day he emerged out of the belly of the fish, and he was all along alive, didn't die for a moment. "

What is your point with regard to this topic?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey,
re: "I don't get one exactly."

I don't understand. What "one" don't you get?

re: "Jonah knew what day he was thrown in the sea and what day he emerged out of the belly of the fish, and he was all along alive, didn't die for a moment. "

What is your point with regard to this topic?
Sign of Jonah is related with Book of Jonah which mentions " three days and three nights", in a straightforward manner. Right friend, please?

Regards

Batya

Always Forward
I don't see why he had to have died on a Friday. It says he died on the preparation day for the sabbath, but it also says that day was a high sabbath, which since he was killed on passover means that the next day would have been the first day of the feast of unleavened Bread- which was a sabbath. It's not necessarily saying he died the day before the weekly sabbath, so it seems like that could kind of clear up the whole three days, three nights issue.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't see why he had to have died on a Friday. It says he died on the preparation day for the sabbath, but it also says that day was a high sabbath, which since he was killed on passover means that the next day would have been the first day of the feast of unleavened Bread- which was a sabbath. It's not necessarily saying he died the day before the weekly sabbath, so it seems like that could kind of clear up the whole three days, three nights issue.
Magenta ^.
The book of Jonah mentions "three days and three nights", please. Please don't change the scripture and the topic of the thread. Also kindly remember that Jesus was never a Christian, never ever, please. Right, please?

Regards

Batya

Always Forward
Magenta ^.
The book of Jonah mentions "three days and three nights", please. Please don't change the scripture and the topic of the thread. Also kindly remember that Jesus was never a Christian, never ever, please. Right, please?

Regards
Yes, I understand about Jonah, although I don't know that that passage has the context that the OP was looking for.

I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?
So that really isn't clear in Jonah if it was three whole days or otherwise. Sorry if I switched topics.
What does Jesus not bring a Christian have to do with it?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes, I understand about Jonah, although I don't know that that passage has the context that the OP was looking for.

So that really isn't clear in Jonah if it was three whole days or otherwise. Sorry if I switched topics.
What does Jesus not bring a Christian have to do with it?
Magenta ^.
We discuss the topic of the thread, if OP selected topic of the thread wrongly, he could amend it. We are not restricted to and by the original post. Right friend, please?

Regards

rstrats

[QUOTE="Batya, I don't see why he had to have died on a Friday. [/QUOTE]

Then this topic does not apply to you. It is directed to those who believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who think that the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb, and who try to account for the lack of a third night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Three days and three nights has a symbolic meaning. But tradition wants Jesus to be crucified on Friday and to rise from the dead on the early lights of Sunday.
In fact the Nicene Creed says: he rose on the 3rd day, according to the Scriptures.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Seems like it to me. But what is your point?
My point is that as Jesus was to show "Sign of Jonah" then he was to enter alive in the tomb, remain alive in the tomb and come out of the tomb alive as did Jonah. The similarity of Jesus and Jonah is in not dying all along and against all odds. Right, please?

Regards

rstrats

paarsurrey,
re: "My point is that as Jesus was to show 'Sign of Jonah' then he was to enter alive in the tomb, remain alive in the tomb and come out of the tomb alive as did Jonah. The similarity of Jesus and Jonah is in not dying all along and against all odds."

That is an issue for a different topic. Why don't you start one.