• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Chinese balloons over US during Trump's regime

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I found this story to be a perfect example of the difference between someone having a real issue with something or other compared to pretend concern for political purposes.

Chinese balloons flew over US three times during Trump administration: officials

Balloons similar to the one that was shot down off the coast of South Carolina this weekend flew over the U.S. at least three times during the Trump administration, according to a senior U.S. defense official.

As Republicans spent the past few days criticizing the Biden administration over its response to the suspected Chinese spy balloon that flew across the country, an official revealed during a briefing on Saturday that the U.S. was aware of three other instances during the prior administration and one instance earlier in the Biden administration that such an apparatus “transited” the country.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Trump, top national security officials refute claim that Chinese spy balloons transited US under last admin

Trump , even John Bolton stated that there were no Chinese balloons during the Trump administration that they were aware of.

If it made news now, where are the published news reports of the alleged incursions back then during that time period?

I challenge anyone to provide a link where, during the Trump administration in that period of time, this had occurred.
Here is a transcript of the briefing:
Senior Defense Official and Senior Military Official Hold an Off-Camera, On-Background Press Briefing Update on the High-Altitude Surveillance Balloon > U.S. Department of Defense > Transcript

The relevant passage is this:
PRC government surveillance balloons transited the continental United States briefly at least three times during the prior administration and once that we know of at the beginning of this administration, but never for this duration of time.

No details of the timing of these incursions were provided.

The latest incursion seems to be the most serious due to its long duration. Furthermore it is obvious that for a senior representative of the US government to visit China after such an incident would be seen as accepting a slap in the face without protest. The Chinese are notoriously preoccupied with "face", so how one reacts to something like this is carefully watched and used for internal propaganda. Hence the ballyhoo.

Someone in China is going to get sacked - or executed - over this. It has wrecked a fence-mending exercise that Xi was keen should take place.

Twilight Hue

Here is a transcript of the briefing:
Senior Defense Official and Senior Military Official Hold an Off-Camera, On-Background Press Briefing Update on the High-Altitude Surveillance Balloon > U.S. Department of Defense > Transcript

The relevant passage is this:
PRC government surveillance balloons transited the continental United States briefly at least three times during the prior administration and once that we know of at the beginning of this administration, but never for this duration of time.

No details of the timing of these incursions were provided.

The latest incursion seems to be the most serious due to its long duration. Furthermore it is obvious that for a senior representative of the US government to visit China after such an incident would be seen as accepting a slap in the face without protest. The Chinese are notoriously preoccupied with "face", so how one reacts to something like this is carefully watched and used for internal propaganda. Hence the ballyhoo.

Someone in China is going to get sacked - or executed - over this. It has wrecked a fence-mending exercise that Xi was keen should take place.
I certainly hope not executed.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I found this story to be a perfect example of the difference between someone having a real issue with something or other compared to pretend concern for political purposes.

Chinese balloons flew over US three times during Trump administration: officials

Balloons similar to the one that was shot down off the coast of South Carolina this weekend flew over the U.S. at least three times during the Trump administration, according to a senior U.S. defense official.

As Republicans spent the past few days criticizing the Biden administration over its response to the suspected Chinese spy balloon that flew across the country, an official revealed during a briefing on Saturday that the U.S. was aware of three other instances during the prior administration and one instance earlier in the Biden administration that such an apparatus “transited” the country.
It my personal opinion that there was a balloon full of hot air present during the entire Trump administration.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
If he has not sent the balloon, do you suppose it is for the purpose of embarrassing him?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Trump, top national security officials refute claim that Chinese spy balloons transited US under last admin

Trump , even John Bolton stated that there were no Chinese balloons during the Trump administration that they were aware of.

If it made news now, where are the published news reports of the alleged incursions back then during that time period?

I challenge anyone to provide a link where, during the Trump administration in that period of time, this had occurred.

You think I believe ANYTHING that Trump said of those serving at his pleasure said, you are sadly mistaken. If that pack of liars says that it's cold outside, I'll put on my swimming trunks.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If he has not sent the balloon, do you suppose it is for the purpose of embarrassing him?
I think it is a screw-up: left hand / right hand. Some clown in the military has sent it off without thinking about the diplomatic consequences at this particular juncture.

Quite funny when the Chinese screw up. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Sounds like a big ole oopsie, eh.

Twilight Hue

You think I believe ANYTHING that Trump said of those serving at his pleasure said, you are sadly mistaken. If that pack of liars says that it's cold outside, I'll put on my swimming trunks.
John Bolton as well.

Still, there are no news reports nor articles at the time that reported any such occurrence. At least I can't find any.

If someone could locate such a report, it would go a long way in proving Trump and Bolton are in denial. Right now they are saying it's essentially intentional disinformation propaganda to cover for the Biden administration.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anyone have any sources about the steerability of this balloon?
Ordinary balloons drift at the whim of the wind, but some sources have mentioned propellers.
A non-navigable balloon intended to surveil a target thousands of Km away seems a pretty stupid idea.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Anyone have any sources about the steerability of this balloon?
Ordinary balloons drift at the whim of the wind, but some sources have mentioned propellers.
A non-navigable balloon intended to surveil a target thousands of Km away seems a pretty stupid idea.
Balloons can be navigated by ascending and descending into favourable winds. Not as precise as active steering but it's not "drift[ing] at the whim of the wind".

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Balloons can be navigated by ascending and descending into favourable winds. Not as precise as active steering but it's not "drift[ing] at the whim of the wind".
Yes, and it would be less precise once somebody put a hole in it. Something the size of three buses falling from 60 000 feet, with a hole in it would be very unpredictable. That is why they had to wait till it was over water.

We Never Know

No Slack

I don't get the spy balloon thing when there are satellites that can zoom down and count the hairs on a gnats butt.