• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Threats to humanity

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Biggest threat is also the least likely at any moment....
Big object from space colliding with Earth.
2nd place: Far higher probability, but not extinction level....
Nuclear war.

Everything else is fully survivable, some
discomfort & death notwithstanding.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Climate change, global warming or what ever someone wants to call it is affecting the world today, yesterday and tomorrow.
I agree. And I absolutely support measures to try to mitigate the affects, at the very least. But I also understand that a current pandemic will take priority until it’s under control. You can fix more than one issue at a time, though

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Like the Titanic hitting the iceberg a second time. Some will remain certain the ship won't sink.
It seems fairly obvious that some of the upper class have already registered that the ship might sink, because they are investing heavily in secure compounds, firearms, and gated communities. The problem is that their "solutions" aren't designed to help anybody but themselves.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It seems fairly obvious that some of the upper class have already registered that the ship might sink, because they are investing heavily in secure compounds, firearms, and gated communities. The problem is that their "solutions" aren't designed to help anybody but themselves.
When the revolution happens and the mob arrives at their doorstep I'm sure they will be safe and declare "Let them eat cake!"

Yazata

Threats to humanity

I don't really see any extinction-level threats at the moment.

Perhaps the most plausible would be a rapidly spreading pandemic that really is deadly, that kills a large percentage of those it infects.

A large asteroid impact would certainly suffice, but that's a very low probability event.

A sufficiently large nuclear war might collapse world civilization and bring about some post-apocalyptic scenario. But humanity would likely survive with civilized remnants here and there.

I don't see global warming in that category. So far it hasn't been large enough to really be noticeable (1.6 degrees C on average globally since the middle 19th century with 2/3'd's of that since 1990.) Most of that latter increase is directly attributable to the rise of China. Effects of a small rise in global temperatures will be mixed, with positive impacts many places (longer growing seasons in Russia and Canada for instance). So that one doesn't really strike me as a threat to humanity's survival though it could be disruptive.

My biggest worry at this point is the gradual erosion of the ideals of liberty that I love so much and the creeping advent of authoritarianism powered by omnipresent technology, leading to something not so dissimilar to Orwell's 1984.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
My biggest worry at this point is the gradual erosion of the ideals of liberty that I love so much and the creeping advent of authoritarianism powered by omnipresent technology, leading to something not so dissimilar to Orwell's 1984.
Why is that your "biggest worry" when human civilization has a far higher chance to survive that, than any of the scenarios you've outlined above?

InChrist

Free4ever
"world wars, a Holocaust, Tsunami, Covid and Sept 11"...

You may not agree but those are minuscule scale,,, small things. If we keep polluting, destroying forest, killing spiecies to extiction, manipulating DNA, etc etc. The worst it yet to come in my opinion.

What I mean by manipulating DNA is "we do" do it with bacteria, viruses, different animals, and even humans. We don't have a clue the harm that it may or will cause years down the road.

We engineer bacteria for example to do what it naturally wouldn't. We relocate a species to battle another spiecies and in the long run it becomes an invasive species causing more damage than good.

For example killer bees are of human interference in nature.

We create so many deadly thing such as gases, chemicals, poisons, etc and we do/have created deadly bacteria and viruses.

Man will never destroy life or earth but we may eventually destroy ourself.
I believe according to the prophetic scriptures of the Bible, unity will come to this planet under the antichrist world leader who will step up, give direction, and take control...after the Rapture when all those who belong to Jesus and ALL children, including babies in the womb are removed from this earth. That event will paralyze this world with such fear that people will be ready to finally unite.
Along, with that I think all the genetic engineering of viruses and bio weapon technology taking place now will lead to the plagues foretold in the book of Revelation.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
When humans state I taught myself planet earths holiness life support in water is ice. Newly formed every year as reborn again had caused as it's presence the returned biologies small life back. As returned.

We are part of small as babies sperm ovary.

Human sex gives a baby it's inherited sin was taught.

I taught myself says any human. It's determined as natural sciences.

Not occult machine thesis sciences who don't use ice in theories.

So ice over melted and we now own life imbalances via water mass change.

Balance means exact heavenly water presence pressures assists life biology as any type.

Garden nature our oxygenator also not any occult thesis. Mass water owning oxygen to be water.

As mass of water is highest as a one body which we aren't as biology.

Why theorising water in science was evil against life.

We already knew scientific human theists did not create life by a theory.

It's about time human egotism against our nature be put into its unnatural expressed place. Lying.

Reason law on a shut bible was implemented. Law said humans lying was a criminal action.