• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Threads about Theism and what it is

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why don't these happen when the question is at least as complicated (if not a great deal more complicated) than debating about what atheism is?

(I'd bet a hundred bucks this thread will not only never get featured, but fall off the first page within 48 hours)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why don't these happen when the question is at least as complicated (if not a great deal more complicated) than debating about what atheism is?
I think we should distinguish more between theists. Like between dualism (God and creation are two as in Abrahamic traditions) and non-dual (God and creation are not-two as in Hindu Advaita religion). There is significant differences between the two.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

(I'd bet a hundred bucks this thread will not only never get featured, but fall off the first page within 48 hours)

There's no real wrong with theism is there? Theism can pretty much be whatever you what it to be. Who's going to prove you wrong?

joe1776

I think the essential problem is that the three labels theist, atheist and agnostic aren't nearly enough to accurately describe the 1.3 gazillion personal belief systems that exist.

We could probably describe our beliefs in a brief paragraph, but explaining our choice of labels, I suspect, would require a page and a half.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Theists are polytheists and Monotheists. Monotheists are Atheists -1 and Atheists are Atheists +1

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the essential problem is that the three labels theist, atheist and agnostic aren't nearly enough to accurately describe the 1.3 gazillion personal belief systems that exist.

We could probably describe our beliefs in a brief paragraph, but explaining our choice of labels, I suspect, would require a page and a half.
Yep. And there's nothing wrong with that, imo, so long as you understand that a/theism, a/gnosticism, and other categories are just starting points.

PureX

Veteran Member
Because theism is just the proposition that God/god exist. Theology is the investigation of the nature of that existence. And religion, then, is the practical application of whatever specific theological position one takes. When so many people don't even understand the different meaning of these terms, it's pretty difficult to get a reasoned discussion/debate going about specific theological concepts.

Also, should one begin, we won't get 5 posts in before the atheists find the thread and begin attacking theism in general.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Both theism and atheism seem like simple concepts to me. Maybe I just have better complaints about theism than what the word itself means.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we should distinguish more between theists. Like between dualism (God and creation are two as in Abrahamic traditions) and non-dual (God and creation are not-two as in Hindu Advaita religion). There is significant differences between the two.

Yeah, and for other types of theism. Whilst the myriad of nuances of what 'atheist' means get beat around like a dead horse at least every few months, this doesn't ever happen for theism. I often ask myself why that is.

There's no real wrong with theism is there? Theism can pretty much be whatever you what it to be. Who's going to prove you wrong?

@Shushersbedamned beat me to the punch on this one. :D
Some non-theists seem to make it one of their life missions to take down what they call "theism" (which is usually some narrow subset of theism).

Haha.... that's being optimistic. In seriousness, though, there's something to be said for being able to express oneself succinctly on complex matters. Doing so requires there be more of a common denominator of understanding for various words than there really is, though. It would not have crossed my mind, for example, that someone might define "theism" to exclude what to me are obviously forms of theism, like polytheism. But folks do it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yeah, and for other types of theism. Whilst the myriad of nuances of what 'atheist' means get beat around like a dead horse at least every few months, this doesn't ever happen for theism. I often ask myself why that is
Yeah, we need our own dead horse.