• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thread death

PetShopBoy88

Isn't thread death weird? I think it is. I'm relatively new to forums, so I haven't really gotten used to the fact that one day you could be in a heated debate or a popular discussion, and next day it will just end! Often, it will end with a question, because people assumed it would keep going on, but it doesn't. Nothing ever ends logically. I find that very strange.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, it helps if you don't take a linear approach! :)

(I had to post in this thread- the irony would've killed me, otherwise!)

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
People just get distracted with other threads and it gets buried. People usually don't look beyond the first page of threads. Once in a while I'll go looking through past threads and ressurect one that I think needs further discussion. Thats got me thinking, I wonder if there's a thread named Lazerus...

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
People just get distracted with other threads and it gets buried. People usually don't look beyond the first page of threads. Once in a while I'll go looking through past threads and ressurect one that I think needs further discussion. Thats got me thinking, I wonder if there's a thread named Lazerus...

OOo! Timely! :D

PureX

Veteran Member
It feels even more weird if your the last poster in the thread.
Yes. I feel that I have killed many threads as I was the last one to post. And I have no idea why no one continued the conversation. It makes me a little self-conscious, sometimes. Then I remember that I don't care. *smile*

Ðanisty

Yes. I feel that I have killed many threads as I was the last one to post. And I have no idea why no one continued the conversation. It makes me a little self-conscious, sometimes. Then I remember that I don't care. *smile*
Oh, I'm the same way! I often joke that I kill threads.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Ðanisty;789201 said:
Oh, I'm the same way! I often joke that I kill threads.

Yeah, when I first started, I felt like I was the ultimate thread killer. But Gentoo pointed out that everyone experiences that. :)

tcprowling

OMG Then It's not just me! I have often put up a thread that I think will work and get heaps of responses only to find it dies. I start thinking I am going too deep. Especial if you see For example a thread titled what colour underpants are most attractive to women get eleventeen throusand and yet ( Again an example ) a thread titled say How would you go about bringing peace to the world get 3 replies and then dies LOL

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin

That pretty much goes for me too :)

RevOxley_501

Isn't thread death weird? I think it is. I'm relatively new to forums, so I haven't really gotten used to the fact that one day you could be in a heated debate or a popular discussion, and next day it will just end! Often, it will end with a question, because people assumed it would keep going on, but it doesn't. Nothing ever ends logically. I find that very strange.

people just move on, or they forget...

usually i forget about a thread i was enjoying, or lose it or something...so it dies.

another forum oddity, is you can have a hated enemy on one thread and a best friend on the next.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As far as my attitude about killing threads goes, I'm often flattered when I end up with the last post on a thread -- particularly if it's on a debate forum. It makes me think that nobody could come up with any response to my superlative argument! What really makes me feel self-conscious is when I start a thread and nobody responds. It's like walking into a room and saying, "Hi, everybody!" and everybody just glances over at you and then goes back to what they were doing. You feel so invisible!

PetShopBoy88

As far as my attitude about killing threads goes, I'm often flattered when I end up with the last post on a thread -- particularly if it's on a debate forum. It makes me think that nobody could come up with any response to my superlative argument!
Like when I took on the mormons. Bwahahaha!! Just kidding.

tcprowling

Alot of my opening posts are just random thoughts that cross my mind during the day ( Yeah I know I spend too much time on my own) With that in mind it is fair to say I post more just out of interest rather then a passionate belief in the topics i post. As a result of this i will often leave a members response to my OP for other members to pick up on. Occassionally I will add a comment of my own to try and stir things up (Don't read that as flaming).
a lot of the time I find that my thread just gets buried and dies. Not that people don't have an opinion on the subject it's like someone has already said they will read the first page active posts and reply to those topics!
I will often check out post made
2-4 hours ago to see if there is something that interests me there

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend PETSHOPBOY,
one has to understand nature itself. Nature carries on its own but follows its own laws or natural laws like
what goes up, comes down
Ni\ght follows day
death follows birth
etc.
similarly if one studies religion deeply one will come to the understand that it is the mind which is both the problem and the solution of human sufferings and salvation both.
Mind is like a lake or any body of water which has waves or ripples which are thoughts in the mind. Once the lake stills the reflection of the moon or ones face becomes crystal clear simalarly when the mind is still without ripples [thoughts] the TRUTH is clearly visible.
Mind is always active and to still/quieten the mind is what every religion has been trying to get across but only a very handful has been able to understand and realise the truth.
similarly when a POST starts [born] it has to close [die] natural laws.
Love & rgds

PetShopBoy88

Friend PETSHOPBOY,
one has to understand nature itself. Nature carries on its own but follows its own laws or natural laws like
what goes up, comes down
Ni\ght follows day
death follows birth
etc.
similarly if one studies religion deeply one will come to the understand that it is the mind which is both the problem and the solution of human sufferings and salvation both.
Mind is like a lake or any body of water which has waves or ripples which are thoughts in the mind. Once the lake stills the reflection of the moon or ones face becomes crystal clear simalarly when the mind is still without ripples [thoughts] the TRUTH is clearly visible.
Mind is always active and to still/quieten the mind is what every religion has been trying to get across but only a very handful has been able to understand and realise the truth.
similarly when a POST starts [born] it has to close [die] natural laws.
Love & rgds
Yeah, that's a good point. But the point I was making, was that the deaths are always so unnatural. They'll just be going on full swing and suddenly nobody will post in them ever again. And it's interesting that often the last post will be a question, and then it seems nobody can be arsed to answer it, even though even hours ago they were fired up about it.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

As far as my attitude about killing threads goes, I'm often flattered when I end up with the last post on a thread -- particularly if it's on a debate forum. It makes me think that nobody could come up with any response to my superlative argument! What really makes me feel self-conscious is when I start a thread and nobody responds. It's like walking into a room and saying, "Hi, everybody!" and everybody just glances over at you and then goes back to what they were doing. You feel so invisible!

My god. I feel the EXACT same way!

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I've killed many a thread. I'm with katzpur though. Depending on the argument at hand and how it was going, if I'm the last poster it makes me feel like I "won" the debate. Which I know is lame becasue I suck at true debating and would loose one to a debate master. It is also weird how a seemingly interesting thread will just get like two posts, and then tomorrow when you wanna go back to it, you can't remember if it was in general religious debates, general debates, or comparative religions.

Another thing I find amusing is when certain parts of the forum will be hot and everybody's clamoring to post there, and other parts of the forum will be boring for a while, like it's not good enough.