• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on the CPUSA?

Flame

Beware
I've been doing a bit of reading on the Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA) and wanted to hear others' thoughts on them as a whole.

I've talked to a few other Communists on other forums, RevLeft for example, and they seem to have a general dislike of them for various reasons (being overly supportive of the Democratic Party was one)

So once again, what are your thoughts on them?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think RevLeft isn't a good example of...well...anything.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
I've been doing a bit of reading on the Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA) and wanted to hear others' thoughts on them as a whole.

I've talked to a few other Communists on other forums, RevLeft for example, and they seem to have a general dislike of them for various reasons (being overly supportive of the Democratic Party was one)

So once again, what are your thoughts on them?

[If your interest is political, just a heads up as it is worth being aware that membership of a communist party in the US may still have legal implications in many states (e.g. Cannot work in schools due to education codes, or state governnents due to loyalty oaths, cannot stand in elections, etc). The fact these restrictions are unconstitutional has not stopped states keeping them on the statute books including "liberal" California. ]

Anti-communist oaths persist despite court rulings

I'm under the impression the CPUSA did some important political work amongst African Americans in the 1930's and 40's so that may be worth a look.

The Communist Party USA and African Americans - Wikipedia

Overall, I really don't know what to make of the CPUSA nowdays and their support for the Democratic Party is a real hindrance. They should really be trying to do more, build up a solid membership, raising the level of ideological education, etc and be an active organisation. Ideally, They should have a long-term stratedgy and maybe try to get in a position where they could rival the Green Party. But as the legal restrictions should make clear, they have a really tough job to do. This is not even taking into account of the hostility americans have towards communism. So even if they are revisionist I can sympathise as its far from ideal conditions to start off with. They are just about legal as the communist control act was never offically overturned.

Communist Control Act of 1954 - Wikipedia

I hope you found revleft useful. I was on there a few years ago- but its not great and is a bit limited. I found it a bit of a toxic environment and it seems pretty inactive nowdays when I scroll through the pages.

I don't think RevLeft is a good example of...well...anything.

Hey comrade. Glad to see you posting in here. :)

Flame

Beware
[If your interest is political, just a heads up as it is worth being aware that membership of a communist party in the US may still have legal implications in many states (e.g. Cannot work in schools due to education codes, or state governnents due to loyalty oaths, cannot stand in elections, etc). The fact these restrictions are unconstitutional has not stopped states keeping them on the statute books including "liberal" California. ]

Anti-communist oaths persist despite court rulings

I'm under the impression the CPUSA did some important political work amongst African Americans in the 1930's and 40's so that may be worth a look.

The Communist Party USA and African Americans - Wikipedia

Overall, I really don't know what to make of the CPUSA nowdays and their support for the Democratic Party is a real hindrance. They should really be trying to do more, build up a solid membership, raising the level of ideological education, etc and be an active organisation. Ideally, They should have a long-term stratedgy and maybe try to get in a position where they could rival the Green Party. But as the legal restrictions should make clear, they have a really tough job to do. This is not even taking into account of the hostility americans have towards communism. So even if they are revisionist I can sympathise as its far from ideal conditions to start off with. They are just about legal as the communist control act was never offically overturned.

Communist Control Act of 1954 - Wikipedia

I hope you found revleft useful. I was on there a few years ago- but its not great and is a bit limited. I found it a bit of a toxic environment and it seems pretty inactive nowdays when I scroll through the pages.

Hey comrade. Glad to see you posting in here. :)

Thanks :) I find my political ideals leaning towards libertarian communism. I live in the upper midwest, thankfully most anti-communist laws seems to have been abolished however my area is heavily conservative.

As for RevLeft.. it wasn't a terrible experience. A few seemed easy to attack. (Particularly when I mentioned my leaning towards Libertarian Communism). However it's definitely not a site I'll visit regularly.

Revleft seems to be mostly people akin to the people who visit /leftypol/

CPUSA are reformists and accelerationists.
That's all I need to know to not support them.

From what little of the threads I read while on it, definitely seems that way.

As for the CPUSA, I was able to get into contact with a few members and I can definitely see a lot of reformists however I did talk to one who disliked the current path of the party.

Laika

Premium Member
Thanks :) I find my political ideals leaning towards libertarian communism. I live in the upper midwest, thankfully most anti-communist laws seems to have been abolished however my area is heavily conservative.

As for RevLeft.. it wasn't a terrible experience. A few seemed easy to attack. (Particularly when I mentioned my leaning towards Libertarian Communism). However it's definitely not a site I'll visit regularly.

From what little of the threads I read while on it, definitely seems that way.

As for the CPUSA, I was able to get into contact with a few members and I can definitely see a lot of reformists however I did talk to one who disliked the current path of the party.

Hey flame. Feel free to hang out and post in the communist sub forum here if you want. Its always good to have extra people as it makes the place more interesting. :D

I'm glad to hear you've been able to get in contact with CPUSA members. I think the experience of being around communists may be useful as they can pick up on alot of details and insights based on past experience and knowledge (even when they are reformists). Being a communist can be like visiting a foreign country and having a guide of sorts can be useful. I'll admit I'm a little jealous as there isn't a local communist group for me to sign up to so enjoy!

let us know if you have any questions or want to some help finding some reading material, etc. I'm sure we can help out.

P.s. Happy Birthday. :)

Many rumors on reddit about FBI infiltration although I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Its safe to assume there will be one or two in any organisation, but not much anyone can really do about it.

I think after the McCarthy period, the CPUSA only had 10,000 members left and 3,000 were informers. J. Edgar Hoover joked he was the only thing keeping them in business. Lol. :D