• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on Reconstructionist religions/gods being depicted in pop culture?

Miles

Personally, I don't mind. I was a fan of the Percy Jackson books before I devoted myself to Aphrodite, and I've continued to be. The way the Theoi and other pantheons are portrayed in those books is so far removed from actual Hellenism that it doesn't seem like Riordan is writing about real pagan deities.

The fandom, though, is really annoying. Like I've heard non-Hellenics say that it's okay to write about the Theoi because "nobody worships those gods anymore". And it's fine but there are people who do genuinely believe in and worship those deities. Or I run a sort of 'paganism 101 blog' so I search the names of various deities on social media. Half the time, the search results are clogged with fandom stuff. Can't they tag it 'pjo poseidon' or 'marvel loki'? or type the names like z/eus so that actual religious people don't see it in their search results?

anyone else? what are some examples with other religions? how do you feel about seeing gods you worship/honor depicted in pop culture?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It doesn't bother me greatly, but it is moderately annoying when people assume I worship a comic book superhero, or assume that Marvel movies and fiction are 100% true to Norse myth and lore.

Miles

It doesn't bother me greatly, but it is moderately annoying when people assume I worship a comic book superhero, or assume that Marvel movies and fiction are 100% true to Norse myth and lore.
During winter semester of my freshman year, I told my sociology class I'm an Aphrodite devotee and I think they assumed I worship Piper McLean's mom...

Also I really don't like it when pop culture portrays a "dark" deity like Loki or Hades or the Morrigan as being like the devil of their pantheon. The devil is a Christian thing (though, of course, not all Christians believe in it ;) )

Hildeburh

For the pop culture most gods/ demigods / heroes are fair game for tee-shirt slogans, comics and movies. Most thinkng people don't mistake these caricatures for the real thing.

Doesn't bother me in the least, it may even encourage some to dig deeper, research and rediscover the Old Gods.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

It's funny that this has come up, as I've just been re-reading some of Dorothy Heydt's Cynthia stories. The protagonist is a Greek magician of the Hellenistic period and Heydt obviously had a good classical education, as well as being a good writer. But I do tend to wince at her lack of respect for the gods, except Yahweh. But it's no worse than some of Aristophanes, and I don't want to end up a puritan like Plato, so I make the effort and get over myself!