• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on God

Dee

Once at the Evangelical Free church here in town, an elder told all of us, that God hates us when we sin.

there can't be an emotion of hate that God feels as we are living, if sinning, if he already knows we are going to do it, it's like reading a book for the 3rd time, knowing the whole story, and trying to be shocked once again by the bad parts.

I'm also upset by the judgment the Christians have over young people in college, and had many missionaries come on campus and tell us we were all going to hell. I guess these guys have never read Thomas Merton's Seven Story Mountain. Everyone is at a different stage.

I'm also wondering why it is that born again Christians forget where they came from. AA doesn't do this, though they adhere to God's principles. However, I think they are supposed to do it for this kind of new life.

morphesium

What is sin according to one religion, may not be so according to another. There were/are religions on earth in which the God(s) himself commits crime!
We have Gods who claims to have created the whole universe and every single atom on it, but doesn't have a scientific know how of a sixth grade student!
Our Gods are ignorant of other civilizations, promises heaven only for his followers and so on - and these are not reasonable.
Our concept of God is all man made (none of them is God sent) and hence all of them fails in front of our rationality. If there is any quality in us that is truly God sent, then it is our rational thinking power and our morality.

Dee

I appreciate the replies, but was hoping to get a more direct either agreement with my opinions or not.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to say I agree with you, but YHWH says...

"...Jacov have I loved, but Esau have I hated..." Malachi 1:2-3

...So YHWH can hate...and had enemies...

...but then he came as Yeshua, and said,

"...Love thine enemy..." and,

"...pray for those who persecute you..."

Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.

Last edited:

Dee

and where is the evaluation for actions or that hatred being caused, is it also unfolding to God as it is happening, like a cheerleader wanting us to do what is right, or is he making assessment based on knowing us so well, every hair on our head, that neither he nor us had a choice, and only used to make a moral lesson?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
and where is the evaluation for actions or that hatred being caused, is it also unfolding to God as it is happening, like a cheerleader wanting us to do what is right, or is he making assessment based on knowing us so well, every hair on our head, that neither he nor us had a choice, and only used to make a moral lesson?

Sister, I do not know.

In my opinion YHWH God does not make sense in some of the things he does, but then...

...who was it who said,

"If I could understand God, he would not be my God..."

I can't remember, but a Church Father said this.

:)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm also upset by the judgment the Christians have over young people in college, and had many missionaries come on campus and tell us we were all going to hell. I guess these guys have never read Thomas Merton's Seven Story Mountain. Everyone is at a different stage.
Which is why they are judging others. They themselves are immature, presuming they are not. Jesus called these who strain at the gnats of others while swallowing camels hypocrites. Short of that, it's just plain immaturity. "I'm mature, and you're not!". They act like children, not knowing humility.

I'm also wondering why it is that born again Christians forget where they came from.
Because the judging of others is compensation for them not feeling Grace in their own lives. If they can elevate themselves above others, it gives the illusion of feeling better about themselves, which they clearly are not based on their judging of others.

Dee

thanks you guys. My cousins Catholic upbringing brought on addiction, I think from second generation genetics, I've had too, and my one cousin now, born again, going through rehab. the servants, ministers and those who profligate have depression and are not masked as clearly as you think.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The older I get, the more simplistic my approach to my faith.

I don't understand everything about God and I never will. But, what I do know is that Holy Spirit is real and is a very real part of me. I strive to live in love. When we live in love we fulfill the law to the fullest. This is real. This is all that really matters, in my opinion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Let me just say that I was brought up in a fundamentalist Protestant church, left it because of its approach on several matters, and I have attended my wife's Catholic churches for almost 50 years now, much preferring them over the former.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Once at the Evangelical Free church here in town, an elder told all of us, that God hates us when we sin.

there can't be an emotion of hate that God feels as we are living, if sinning, if he already knows we are going to do it, it's like reading a book for the 3rd time, knowing the whole story, and trying to be shocked once again by the bad parts.

I'm also wondering why it is that born again Christians forget where they came from. AA doesn't do this, though they adhere to God's principles. However, I think they are supposed to do it for this kind of new life.

I think perhaps you should just look for a new religion.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Let me just say that I was brought up in a fundamentalist Protestant church, left it because of its approach on several matters, and I have attended my wife's Catholic churches for almost 50 years now, much preferring them over the former.

Why is that?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why is that?
The church I grew up in was quite anti-science and racist, plus it taught sort of an arrogant message like "we're so special and others are so misguided"- type of teachings. I don't hear anywhere near as much of those in my wife's church.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I dont agree with god just as I dont agree with a parent spanking their child as punishment. However, in another sense, maybe hate isnt a good word. When a person sins they start to build a wall between god and themselves. For example, if a child hits their parent the parent doesnt hate them its just that child did a wrong action and placed a barrier between him and his parent.

Its about the christians relationship with god not gods relationship with christians. The former, the christian takes the responsibility for his actions. By his actions, he makes it to where he will recieve consequences or blessings from his actions. If it were the latter, then the christian has no choice to obey. Thats why people mistake god as someone who punishes because they see the latter; i believe christians should see the former.

Not all do. Thats probably why priests are saying god hates you. They are forgeting YOU have a relationship with god. Whatever you do reflects how that relationship will be.

I cant speak on gods behalf because i dont believe he exist. What I can say is that in if its a relationship, the actions between you two should be mutual. If there is a heirarchy in anyones relationship with god, there will always be a power control.

It tears up who the Church is and who She stands for.

Follow your faith. A handful of priest doesnt make up the body of other priests who understand that everyone matures at a different level. Every parish is different. Maybe change parishes?

Dee

If God hated Saul, then loved Paul when he converted, it seems that he is only doing the emotional giving for a moral lesson for all of us, since he already knows how this person is going to turn out, and wouldn't cast him out with all knowing power he has, so I'm all for Christians following this lesson to convert from your ways of sin since that is what we have learned from God, and he is only teaching us, because we need it, I guess though he already knows who will do so, and who will not.

Also, watchdog style, tough love, is something too that I've learned.