• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on Chukat

rosends

I did some reading and thinking about the stories at the outset of Parshat Chukat. Maybe I'm a bit too critical of Rashi and Moshe or a bit too charitable in my sense of the people, but there you have it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So, you write:

Rashi, in his commentary on the Chumash, often asks why certain sections were placed near each other if, as is often taught, the text need not be presented in strictly chronological order. Once the timeline is not the defining feature, there must be a reason why certain stories, laws or events are related in the text when and where they are.

The over-arching questions are ...
  1. what was intended,
  2. by whom, and
  3. when.
Orthodoxy offers traditional and well respected answers - at least to #2 - while modern scholarship searches for alternatives. I tend to prefer something akin to

while acknowledging that such explanations tend to strike me as overly speculative.