• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thought this interesting (Neurotheology)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm pretty simple. My brain has challenges figuring out stuff; so, I thought you guys would want to discuss this neurotheology. It' the study of religion and the brain. How do they influence each other.

Read it at your own pace.
They're meant for informational purposes really.

Enjoy.

Edit

Abstract

Neurotheology” refers to the multidisciplinary field of scholarship that seeks to understand the relationship between the human brain and religion. In its initial development, neurotheology has been conceived in very broad terms relating to the intersection between religion and brain sciences in general. The author's main objective is to introduce neurotheology in general and provides a basis for more detailed scholarship from experts in theology, as well as in neuroscience and medicine.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty simple. My brain has challenges figuring out stuff; so, I thought you guys would want to discuss this neurotheology. It' the study of religion and the brain. How do they influence each other.

Read it at your own pace.
Their meant for informational purposes really.

Enjoy.
:) It says its an 'Interdisciplinary Study' which means it looks at anything in brains that can affect theology. It includes psychological as well as biological things. One thing they mentioned as an example was the ability of our brains to compare and contrast. They also say that neurotheology will be limited to Abrahamic traditions.

I think this field is going to be looking at a few things but primarily "What makes 2 believers different and does it have to do with brain chemistry?"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
:) It says its an 'Interdisciplinary Study' which means it looks at anything in brains that can affect theology. It includes psychological as well as biological things. One thing they mentioned as an example was the ability of our brains to compare and contrast. They also say that neurotheology will be limited to Abrahamic traditions.

I think this field is going to be looking at a few things but primarily "What makes 2 believers different and does it have to do with brain chemistry?"

I'm reading the Iranian Journal now. Do you think the article is an over generalization to spiritual experiences in general? It only mentions understanding god but it would be too much to cover all types of experiences, I'm sure. (Outside of the strict definition of theology as I looked up)

Good wrap up

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm reading the Iranian Journal now. Do you think the article is an over generalization to spiritual experiences in general? It only mentions understanding god but it would be too much to cover all types of experiences, I'm sure. (Outside of the strict definition of theology as I looked up)

Good wrap up
I don't know, but it seems like they are trying to avoid defining it too much while keeping it relevant to Muslims in Iran. If they stay relevant their research is going to shift over time, because neurology and psychiatry are still new and are changing. Any field (of study) based on them is going to change just as fast or faster.