• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

thought experiment: same beliefs?

Would you press the button?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Here's a thought experiment:

There is a small button attached to a strange looking machine...

If you press this button everyone on Earth will in an instant permanently acquire the same beliefs, world view, values, and opinions as you do at the moment of pressing the button:

To be clear, as a result of this everyone on Earth would have the same values, religious beliefs and political ideology as you have at the moment you pressed the button. And they would maintain those beliefs permanently.

Do you press it?

I wouldn't, for a number of reasons:

First, my own personal opinions/beliefs/world view have, in the past, been subject to change. So if I'd pushed the button and my opinions changed again I would be the only person on Earth with their own beliefs as everyone else would have the beliefs I had back when I pressed the button. I would be in a minority of one. Indeed I would be the only minority. It would be me (with my new ideas) and everyone else (with my old ideas!) - and what if I am wrong about things! Then everyone would be wrong and nobody right!

Secondly, with only one set of opinions in existence progress would stagnate as there would be no conflict of ideas. With just one world view we could only see things from one perspective and in one set of terms, hence the collective intelligence of humankind would be very much undermined. In order for humankind to survive and progress there needs to be a diversity of opinions/beliefs/world views in existence!

With just one set of opinions/beliefs we would be more like a colony of social insects than a human society - there would in effect be a hive mind

Also, think of the old blind-men and the elephant analogy. With only one blind person touching only one part of the elephant the collective understanding of the elephant would be much poorer than if there were many blind men touching it in different places

Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia

Third, it would be unethical. I wouldn't want my beliefs changed in such a way hence I would never do that to another person.

At the end of the day, I think one of the greatest things about humanity is the diversity there is amongst humans. Indeed I think such a diversity is good and should be encouraged!

So no, I would not push the button.

Would you?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No obviously, firstly because I don't believe any human can have 'the truth', and even if such happened, most might not and wouldn't understand such, and hence it might mean enslavement if they were forced to follow this. Secondly, I don't believe in totalitarianism, and would rather we were all free to work out our own destiny even if such disrupted that of others. And thirdly, it has often been our diversity that has produced the things that tend to make us better as a species, and where one particular perspective might consign us to oblivion when a future actually beckoned.

I tend to agree with virtually all that you said. :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No, for the reasons I’ve offered countless times on this forum regarding each individual being at a different level of understanding of transactional reality.

What good would it do to give a sea turtle the same worldview as you?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Hell no. Diversity of views is part of the way we make progress.

Of course, that would be a view that everyone would have, so they would see the need for a diversity of views, but be forced to stick with one?

Even worse upon that analysis.

Daemon Sophic

Hell no. Diversity of views is part of the way we make progress.

Of course, that would be a view that everyone would have, so they would see the need for a diversity of views, but be forced to stick with one?

Even worse upon that analysis.
^^. This. The temptation would be real, given that I have no religion or faith, and I believe in openness about such things, as well as backing up beliefs with investigations and research, which in turn may lead to differing thoughts and beliefs, and on and on and on.....

But as the OP points out. All 7.7 Billion other people get my beliefs/thoughts of THAT MOMENT, and CAN NEVER CHANGE them ever again.
:( That would be a form of hell. :confused:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Here's a thought experiment:

There is a small button attached to a strange looking machine...

If you press this button everyone on Earth will in an instant permanently acquire the same beliefs, world view, values, and opinions as you do at the moment of pressing the button:

To be clear, as a result of this everyone on Earth would have the same values, religious beliefs and political ideology as you have at the moment you pressed the button. And they would maintain those beliefs permanently.

Do you press it?

I wouldn't, for a number of reasons:

First, my own personal opinions/beliefs/world view have, in the past, been subject to change. So if I'd pushed the button and my opinions changed again I would be the only person on Earth with their own beliefs as everyone else would have the beliefs I had back when I pressed the button. I would be in a minority of one. Indeed I would be the only minority. It would be me (with my new ideas) and everyone else (with my old ideas!) - and what if I am wrong about things! Then everyone would be wrong and nobody right!

Secondly, with only one set of opinions in existence progress would stagnate as there would be no conflict of ideas. With just one world view we could only see things from one perspective and in one set of terms, hence the collective intelligence of humankind would be very much undermined. In order for humankind to survive and progress there needs to be a diversity of opinions/beliefs/world views in existence!

With just one set of opinions/beliefs we would be more like a colony of social insects than a human society - there would in effect be a hive mind

Also, think of the old blind-men and the elephant analogy. With only one blind person touching only one part of the elephant the collective understanding of the elephant would be much poorer than if there were many blind men touching it in different places

Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia

Third, it would be unethical. I wouldn't want my beliefs changed in such a way hence I would never do that to another person.

At the end of the day, I think one of the greatest things about humanity is the diversity there is amongst humans. Indeed I think such a diversity is good and should be encouraged!

Would you?
So thats what happened with me. Explains a lot! Heh.

Then string theory came along..

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I would definitely press the button. Not that I like people agreeing with me or anything... :p

Thief

Rogue Theologian
would that event be self inclusive?
and would the button have option of a second attempt?

and would I have recall to know the difference?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Secondly, with only one set of opinions in existence progress would stagnate as there would be no conflict of ideas. [...]
There would be no conflict of ideas and there would be no conflict.
No friction losses, no misunderstandings, no passive-aggressive sabotage. Think about what that could do to some projects.
Yep, that's the reason I wouldn't do it. I don't accept the reason that it would seriously hamper productivity.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No, how boring life would be if everyone thought the same...

But it does remind me of a Terry Pratchett quote that went something like this "in a dark and isolated cave in the most inaccessible place is just fitted a switch. Over the switch the installer paints in big bold letters "END OF THE WORLD SWITCH, DO NOT TOUCH".

The paint wouldn't even be dry before someo...

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
But it does remind me of a Terry Pratchett quote that went something like this "in a dark and isolated cave in the most inaccessible place is just fitted a switch. Over the switch the installer paints in big bold letters "END OF THE WORLD SWITCH, DO NOT TOUCH".

The paint wouldn't even be dry before someo...

...Third, it would be unethical. I wouldn't want my beliefs changed in such a way hence I would never do that to another person.

Would you?

I think people should be free to make their own choices, therefore my answer is no to that.