• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thought Crimes

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some religions teach thought crimes are a thing. Not sure of any religions who don't, but that's beside the point.

Since all of Quran can be in a way exposing "thought crimes", I thought I would layer this thread.

(1) I will speak from some of my understand on the perspective why.
(2) I will speak from a naturalistic perspective (no God, no soul, etc) why this is true too.
(3) I will show reasoning of Quran and hadiths.

But before I do, I want to see what people say about this.

Is there such a thing as a thought crime?
Should we punished for some of them?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Commiting a crime you have thought about is a crime. Thinking about it without actually commiting a crime, not much

I guess if thought crime were were a real crime just about every one would be in prison.

Nooo. Although i think some thoughts can be quite sick, punishment for them isn't an option.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Commiting a crime you have thought about is a crime. Thinking about it without actually commiting a crime, not much

I guess if thought crime were were a real crime just about every one would be in prison.

Nooo. Although i think some thoughts can be quite sick, punishment for them isn't an option.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I agree there should be no law applied by governments punishing thought crimes. I meant should there be punishment by God/Gods/Spirits/Angels/Watchers (insert your belief on who controls karma, etc) for thought crimes.

Thank you for your post though, I think all religions agree government should not jail people for "thought" crimes but not sure if all do.

Islam interpreted today does punish for apostasy, so maybe they are an exception and do think thought crimes should be punished. But I disagree with Islam as presented today.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Fair enough, if they existed, do you believe they should account us for them?

I cannot imagine them existing. I can imagine other people imagining they exist and using that belief in whatever way they can get away with.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Some religions teach thought crimes are a thing. Not sure of any religions who don't, but that's beside the point.

Since all of Quran can be in a way exposing "thought crimes", I thought I would layer this thread.

(2) I will speak from a naturalistic perspective (no God, no soul, etc) why this is true too.

If God is going to punish me for my thoughts, God might as well strike me down now.
Put me in the darkest, deepest hell.

I think though it's more notable that I didn't act on these many thoughts.
I chose to forgive, forget despite any dark thoughts I may have had.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If God is going to punish me for my thoughts, God might as well strike me down now.
Put me in the darkest, deepest hell.

I think though it's more notable that I didn't act on these many thoughts.
I chose to forgive, forget despite any dark thoughts I may have had.

I think everyone can get evil suggestions that pass and go, these are not necessarily crimes, especially from my perspective if we are not the source (Devils, sorcerers, and society often the reason).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think thought crimes and pre-arresting people (for their own good and public safety) will actually be a reality in the legal system someday.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Imagine this. You want to maximize income for your religious institution. First you invent the concept of hell. That doesn't work out too well, as everyone thinks they are not so bad and won't go to hell. Next, make your institution the only way to "save" people (at a price, naturally). Better, but not enough. Pick on the most pressing of all "sins", sex, and emphasize that. Now you've got nearly everyone. Still not everyone? OK, let's make thinking about sex a sin. Aha! No healthy human can go all day without thinking about sex at all. Got 'em!!!!

And "Oh how the money rolls in".

Truth in love

Legally no. However from a religious standpoint we will be judged for thoughts and actions.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe we have a right to think anything we want; to hold any opinion we want. Our beliefs may be stupid, or irrational, but if they cause no harm, who cares?
Or are you so insecure you find different ideas threatening?

Crime should be a matter of harmful actions.
What harm is there in believing in unitarianism over trinitarianism, reïncarnation over eternity in Heaven, God vs no God?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

The very notion of "thought crimes" is immoral.

The idea of punishing them even more immoral.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Sorry I didn't clarify. I agree there should be no law applied by governments punishing thought crimes. I meant should there be punishment by God/Gods/Spirits/Angels/Watchers (insert your belief on who controls karma, etc) for thought crimes.

The notion of thought crimes is immoral.
Regardless of the authority that tries to establish such.