• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thou shalt not.........

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Bible says:

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

That covers also those what you said. It is enough to say “love your neighbor as yourself”. People with right understanding, get it, people who don’t get it, will not get it anyway.

The problem is when your neighbor is 5 years old.

Ciao

- viole

Messianic Israelite

It is treated more as a property crime than as a crime against a person. If the victim was single the many only needs to pay a penalty and take her for his wife. A sort of "you broke it you bought it" approach. Rape needs a fairer punishment than one that traps a victim with her attacker for her entire life.
Rape was always looked upon as an evil in Biblical times. In the case of Tamar and Amnon, you'll recall that Amnon raped Tamar and she pleaded with Amnon saying "...do not force me; for no such thing ought to be done in Israel: do not thou this folly. 13 And I, whither shall I carry my shame? and as for thee, thou wilt be as one of the fools in Israel. Now therefore, I pray thee, speak unto the king; for he will not withhold me from thee. "

Rape was looked at as an evil in Biblical Israel and in the above case Amnon was killed by Absalom and no-one batted an eyelid. Also, in verse 21 it says "But when king David heard of all these things, he was very wroth." [2 Samuel 13]

Deuteronomy 22:25 clearly states that the rapists, not the one being raped, must be put to death.

JJ50

Rape was always looked upon as an evil in Biblical times. In the case of Tamar and Amnon, you'll recall that Amnon raped Tamar and she pleaded with Amnon saying "...do not force me; for no such thing ought to be done in Israel: do not thou this folly. 13 And I, whither shall I carry my shame? and as for thee, thou wilt be as one of the fools in Israel. Now therefore, I pray thee, speak unto the king; for he will not withhold me from thee. "

Rape was looked at as an evil in Biblical Israel and in the above case Amnon was killed by Absalom and no-one batted an eyelid. Also, in verse 21 it says "But when king David heard of all these things, he was very wroth." [2 Samuel 13]

Deuteronomy 22:25 clearly states that the rapists, not the one being raped, must be put to death.
That guy, Solomon, supposedly had lots of concubines, I wonder how many of them willingly had sex with the guy?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
A couple of commandments that are missing from the list are:-

Thou shalt not have sex with children.

Thou shalt not rape or sexually abuse anyone. Sex should be between consenting adults only.

If those had been added maybe paedophilia, which is particularly prevalent among Catholic priests, although other denominations have perverts too, might be a rarity?

I got some more:

Thou shalt not own or treat or consider other human beings as your personal property.
Thou shalt not buy or sell humans or use them as currency.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
And what does "covet" mean? It means

cov·et
/ˈkəvət/

Learn to pronounce

verb
verb: covet; 3rd person present: covets; past tense: coveted; past participle: coveted; gerund or present participle: coveting
yearn to possess or have (something).
So wanting a lawn sprinkler like the guy next door has is a sin,* the penalty for which is death!** Hmm, sounds a bit harsh to me. How about you?

*Every single person will be judged by the mighty moral code of God's Ten Commandments. To break just one is to be guilty of sin.
source

**"The penalty for breaking even one Commandment is death!"
source

It's all cool....

All you need to do is accept Jesus in your heart as your personal saviour and sincerely repent whenever you've coveted as much as you want, and you'll be just fine...

:rolleyes:

Milton Platt

No it isn't explicit at all. There's nothing in the definition of "covet" stating that what is yearned for is expressly the property of someone else.

As examples, the Cambridge Dictionary submits in its definition of "covet":

"She always coveted power but never quite achieved it."

"The Booker Prize is the most coveted British literary award."​

there's no sense in depriving someone else of their power or their Booker Prize.

Our economy depends upon coveting......

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It's all cool....

All you need to do is accept Jesus in your heart as your personal saviour and sincerely repent whenever you've coveted as much as you want, and you'll be just fine...

:rolleyes:

I don't think so.
Christians are required to care for and support the poor, and provide for them, but I don't think that they do.

Deuteronomy {15:7} If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine
heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I don't think so.
Christians are required to care for and support the poor, and provide for them, but I don't think that they do.

Deuteronomy {15:7} If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine
heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:
You need to read my salvation by faith thread. If you don't, i dont want to read your musings

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Bad argument!
Oh my!
So you're one of those.

Around where I live most of the Christians just try to follow what Jesus said, but you lot are of the worst kind of quasi-Christians, in my opinion.

So you don't have to care for the poor, or anything else..... true? All you have to do is have faith and you get your place in your imagined heaven? Dreadful junk, cherry-picked from Paul's rants?
:facepalm:

But I suppose that there is one group more messed up than 'salvation-by-faith-alone-ists' and that's the 'predestined-to-heaven' nuts who are the most dangerous, imo, because they tend to be really arrogant fundies with 'orrible ideas.
:p

And so I've decided to agree with you in that you are not to read ANY more of my posts, ever again.
Why? There's no hope for you..... methinks :D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Oh my!
So you're one of those.

Around where I live most of the Christians just try to follow what Jesus said, but you lot are of the worst kind of quasi-Christians, in my opinion.

So you don't have to care for the poor, or anything else..... true? All you have to do is have faith and you get your place in your imagined heaven? Dreadful junk, cherry-picked from Paul's rants?
:facepalm:

But I suppose that there is one group more messed up than 'salvation-by-faith-alone-ists' and that's the 'predestined-to-heaven' nuts who are the most dangerous, imo, because they tend to be really arrogant fundies with 'orrible ideas.
:p

And so I've decided to agree with you in that you are not to read ANY more of my posts, ever again.
Why? There's no hope for you..... methinks :D
You got part of that right. Not another part. You wont guess which.

:cool: