• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thou shalt have no other gods before me

The ReD ToRnado

Did you ever see the movie They Live where Roddy Piper put those sunglasses on and looked at the money and it said "This Is Your God"

Some people believed they could worship many Gods,so if one fails another could be called upon.In Exodus when Moses was away the people needed some physical representation of a God.So they crafted a golden calf and worshipped it the way the egyptians worshipped.

You can read into it or take it at face value everyone seems to live in their own reality.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The ReD ToRnado said:
You can read into it or take it at face value everyone seems to live in their own reality.
It's called relativism: everyone gets their own opinion, all opinions are deemed created equal, and to hell with archaeology, anthropology, history, philology, paleography, and all the other scholarship that would otherwise conspire to evolve an informed opinion.

Linus

I came upon a scripture today that might shed some light on the subject of God admitting to the existence of other gods.

Isaiah 44 - 6-8

6 "This is what the LORD says-
Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty:
I am the first and I am the last;
apart from me there is no God.
7 Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it.
Let him declare and lay out before me
what has happened since I established my ancient people,
and what is yet to come-
yes, let him foretell what will come.
8 Do not tremble, do not be afraid.
Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago?
You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me?
No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Isaiah is late, expressing an 8th century BCE theology, by which time the early henotheism was well on its way to ossified monotheism.

Linus

But this is not the teaching of Isaiah. It is a saying directly from God Himself merely quoted by the prophet. Besides, Isaiah's belief was the same as that of the Jews in the time of the Exodus.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Linus said:
But this is not the teaching of Isaiah. It is a saying directly from God Himself merely quoted by the prophet.
It is story anchored in the 8th century BCE. You are free to wrap that in whatever mythology you choose.

iwilliam

By making the statement not to worship other gods is a confession that their are other gods. Religous people refuse to look at this statement with and open mind.

Ronald

There are millions of gods(idols) who are not God. There are the Godly/Righteous Believers, the ungodly/haters of God and those with a form of Godliness/Intermidiates/Lawless.
This is your Trinity.
Elohim is Echad/One.

Ronald

Gerani1248 said:
hmm... thats what YOU believe, but i believe different. this debate is pointless.

How absolutely true! And when you see my name in a discussion in your Hindu
pages, discussing thoughts from Hindu holy texts, you will see how pointless a debate really is!

That will never happen! And I say never, and mean it.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya... because many fundamentalists are closeminded.

i believe that its hard for anyone to worship God withought a form in thier mind. worship really works when the devotee uses an object to worship God through, aka a crucafix, statues of gods and goddesses, etc.

these symbolize aspects of One God.

in reality there are no *other gods*. they are all but ONE.

Ronald

Gerani1248 said:
ya... because many fundamentalists are closeminded.

i believe that its hard for anyone to worship God withought a form in thier mind. worship really works when the devotee uses an object to worship God through, aka a crucafix, statues of gods and goddesses, etc.

these symbolize aspects of One God.

in reality there are no *other gods*. they are all but ONE.

By what stretch of your imagination did you come up with this description of me?
Since when did the Way, become "Fundamental?" :(

LittleNipper

I consider myself a Christian Fundamentalist. I stick with GOD's Word as best I can and ask GOD for HIS understanding of what HE is saying. This is what I focus on. Satues, and shrines are merely someone elses OPINION & values. I go to the source. The further
from the source one gets the more polluted...

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
Bryan X said:
No, there are no other gods.

2Corinthians 4:4
In their case the elohim(god) of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the esteem of the Messiah(Christ), who is the likeness of elohim(god[presumptiously the father]).

was 2co4:4 referring to something that does not exist?

ps82:6
I say, "You are elohim(gods), sons of the Most High, all of you;

this verse most clearly shows the true definition of elohim/el/eloah/ect. which is simply mighty one(s).the almighty often allowed his messengers(angels) to act on his behalf, judging or speaking for him, he even made moses elohim(god) to the pharoah.i believe that the 'no other elohim(gods) before/besides me' means that we should pay no mind to people or elohim w/e whom are not one with the father for if somebody is one with the father and yet is elohim(a god) then they are not besides or before him, they are as he is..read about the judges for more?...there are other elohim(gods), either false or true, but none are in everyway like the most high.

Gerani1248 said:
...worship really works when the devotee uses an object to worship God through, aka a crucafix, statues of gods and goddesses, etc.

these symbolize aspects of One God...

this wouldn't be scriptural would it?does 'GOD' tell you to symbolize him or does he say exactly NOT TO DO THAT?

a crucifix(btw a stauros does not denote a cross),statue(such as that of zues, i mean peter, i mean zues, well you know the vatican better than i, which is it?), and other unscriptural practices are surely the images and marks of the beast we are warned so much of;note:revelations.

--$

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"By what stretch of your imagination did you come up with this description of me?
Since when did the Way, become "Fundamental?" :("

aww, i didnt call you a fundamental. i didnt say ronald in my post...

" I go to the source. The further
from the source one gets the more polluted..."

the source is everywhere, a pure hearted devotee can find the God source in a poor begger, in a church, in a hindu shrine, anywhere.

'this wouldn't 'be scriptural would it?does 'GOD' tell you to symbolize him or does he say exactly NOT TO DO THAT?"

do what? worship Him in His numerous forms? why would He forbid that? people view God as buddha, krishna, jesus, nanek. on and on. these are all different forms of one God. i dont know why you people cannot see that. you people are too attached to the external material things in life. true happiness lies in what they say, and we live it and we gain happiness internally which outlives death.

crucifix(btw a stauros does not denote a cross),statue(such as that of zues, i mean peter, i mean zues, well you know the vatican better than i, which is it?), and other unscriptural practices are surely the images and marks of the beast we are warned so much of;note:revelations.

btw, the "beast" mentioned in revelation is the image of caesar. early christians were scared of using his name and preaching against the roman empire so they created the inmage of the beast.