• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those with christian backgrounds

Kcnorwood

I was wondering for those of you who were brought up as christians how long did it take you to stop thinking that you might be going to hell? Well not hell excatly but to....get past what you were taught & move on with something that's a completly different.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Actually, I can't ever remember having that inner conflict. Once I realized that I didn't believe what I was raised to believe, and actually believed something else, the transition was pretty much internally pain-free.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I remember being in my grandmother's church listening to the preacher describe a heaven with streets of gold. After, he had a gathering with those that believed they had sinned. Being a youngster, I felt that I was constantly sinning, so I joined it. The preacher had us sign papers that pledged our commitment to following God.

Something about those stuck out to me; I remember questioning the purpose behind a golden heaven and a sheet of paper signed by me.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, I can't ever remember having that inner conflict. Once I realized that I didn't believe what I was raised to believe, and actually believed something else, the transition was pretty much internally pain-free.
Same here, though my deist father had a bit to do with it. I was raised nominally Christian, but never taught that nonbelievers go to hell.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
When I really thought about the dynamics of Hell and discovered that the existence of Hell and a "loving" God that would send someone there made no sense.

TurtleGirl

Not a Member

Same here. I was 11 when I finally told my parents that I didn't want to go to church anymore. They respected that even if they were a bit concerned.

Then again, my anger with Creator (then called God) helped put away those potential fears pretty quick.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I was wondering for those of you who were brought up as christians how long did it take you to stop thinking that you might be going to hell? Well not hell excatly but to....get past what you were taught & move on with something that's a completly different.
In the last year after being a Christian for 30 years, I quit believing in hell...and my belief in the holiness of the bible fell away shortly thereafter. One day the thought came to me crystal clear that God couldn't possibly send a human to hell for eternity for living a measly amount of time on earth, it didn't make sense. And it especially doesn't make sense because we never get to meet God face to face. How could a sentence so severe be dealt from a creator that loves us? With only an ancient book as evidence and a "supposed" Holy Spirit that is probably our own inner voice, how is it fair to be punished eternally for not making the right choice?

Now, I just think much of religion is silly.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
It didn't take long at all because it goes against what a kind, loving, and just G-d would do.

All religious and spiritual paths lead to the same place in the end. If one helps you, that's wonderful. If you reject all of them and pave your own road, that's wonderful. To be quite frank, I don't even think G-d could care less about what we think of G-d or religion or spirituality or dogma or any other similar topic, just as long as we lead lives that hold true to principals of love and justice and doing no harm.

PureX

Veteran Member
I was raised Catholic, but I don't recall ever buying into the threat of hell. Even as a kid I recognized the contradiction between a God of love and a God of vengeance. And eventually I chose the God of love, and rejected the God of vengeance being taught to me.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
MOD POST

Please be advised this is in the Pagan DIR.
If you're not a Pagan, please do not post.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Oh jeez, I didn't even realise that this was the Pagan DIR, there were so many different faiths posting I didn't think to check... I'm sorry.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm no longer a pagan, but when I first left Christianity paganism was the first thing I went to. I remember having a lot of trouble even reading about it at first, because I was convinced that I was going to go to hell just for reading about it. Eventually as I kept studying and no lightning bolts fell from the sky I figured I was fine. :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer

i had a lot of guilt tied to my homosexuality in the evangelical church i was part of, i was constantly having to justify/reconcile my faith and my sexuality, promise people that i would not get involved with anyone, go to prayer meetings for God to help guide me through this phase.

i had friends who were of different religions, and the negative teaching and opinions there were of other faiths also put a lot of guilt on me when i started looking for God in other religions.

eventually i left that particular church that claimed to be the home of Gods loving spirit and their hate-mongering ways, and explored the path of Paganism that my friend was practicing.

i identified as a Christian Wiccan for about a year, because of the guilt and hang-ups i had from the church i had been apart of, so i kept Christ as my main Deity, and i learnt and explored Wicca.

i have grown up and overcome most of the guilt and hang-ups i gained while being in the church, and i have also moved away from Wicca towards a different style of Paganism, but that is basically my journey from Christianity to Paganism.

thewanderer

Ancilla Deae et Dei
As I "made the transition" pretty recently (like a year-and-a-half or so ago), I still sometimes feel the backlash. Not that I'm going to Hell, per se, I think I dropped Hell before I found Wicca, but sometimes I wonder if i really worshiping the right way, or if God is up there shaking his head and thinking about how misguided I am. Part of it might be that all my friends (who know anyway) think I'm "lost and confused".

BFD_Zayl

I never really thought that way, when i was old enough to understand what was going on, i realised it as something i just could NOT put my faith in, no matter how people made it look. episcopal (sp?) christianity is one of the most appealing christian sects to me, however i do not believe in the single christian God... I believe in many Gods, and that i have my patrons

Isabella Lecour

I was raised with a Protestant view, literal and inerrant biblical based, quasi-Messianic, fundamentally flavored and ultra conservative. Yes I was one of those kids raised in dresses, had no TV or "worldly" toys or things and observed the Sabbath.
My walk away from such a childhood was somewhat forced. My mother died and dad lost it. Lost religion and lost will, but that's another story.

But still very Christian. With the new found freedom, from lack of structure, I started thinking on my own and for myself. After that, it took a couple years. My case is far from typical.

It took about five years of being on the fence, four years of just learning, but self identifying as Pagan, another two year just getting used to being Pagan.

As to hell, I like the idea of hell. I'd want to run the place and because I know I would if such a chance existed, I know that it wouldn't be of divine origin. The divine that I want to worship would not, could not do such an act, if they were going to have my respect.

Otherwise hell is a great idea for those inclined to punish people for anything. Yeah I was hooked on the stories of the Elysium Fields.
:seesaw:

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I was raise in a Celtic Christian house hold with me my mom, dad, and my Grandmother(dad's mom). Though I didn't here about God and Jesus all to much, I hang around my dad a lot and listened to what he believed(a lot of what would be considered Pagan). When my dad died I stop believing really(that didn't last long), my mom started taking me and my sisters to church, what they talked about didn't sound like what my father talked about. It made no sense to me, so I started to look into religions that had stuff in them that my dad takes about, and here I am today.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Actually we can post and ask respectful questions right? My question is, what are the tennants of the Pagan faith?

First of all, that's off topic, and secondly, there is no concise answer to that question.

(And, BTW, I believe you mean "tenets". "Tennants" are people who rent apartments).

BFD_Zayl

last I knew other paths could post in a DIR as long as the question or comment was respective of the DIR