• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those who suffer most suffer least

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

The Buddha found freedom from suffering but only after extreme poverty and suffering.

I find that living an easy life lowers a person’s tolerance to suffering, only causing more suffering in the end.

It’s better to keep suffering and have a “bring it on” type attitude regarding suffering, so that mind, body, and soul learns coping skills to suffering, and most of all, tolerance to suffering grows, so that we remain firm and standing when **** really hits the fan!

Thoughts?

I agree, I think it's better to have things go wrong and find out you can deal with it then it would be if nothing to ever went wrong and you walked around wondering if you could deal with it if it did.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
View attachment 30842 View attachment 30843 View attachment 30844

The Buddha found freedom from suffering but only after extreme poverty and suffering.

I find that living an easy life lowers a person’s tolerance to suffering, only causing more suffering in the end.

It’s better to keep suffering and have a “bring it on” type attitude regarding suffering, so that mind, body, and soul learns coping skills to suffering, and most of all, tolerance to suffering grows, so that we remain firm and standing when **** really hits the fan!

Thoughts?

It sounds like you're talking about resilience. That is a vital attribute to learn.
However, you shouldnt equate suffering with resilience.

Suffering can lead to resilience, but it can also lead to severe mental and physical scarring. Ask soldiers or civilians with PTSD about this as a simple example.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It sounds like you're talking about resilience. That is a vital attribute to learn.
However, you shouldnt equate suffering with resilience.

Suffering can lead to resilience, but it can also lead to severe mental and physical scarring. Ask soldiers or civilians with PTSD about this as a simple example.
Yes I agree!

Neutral Name

View attachment 30842 View attachment 30843 View attachment 30844

Thoughts?

My daughter is a Buddhist but I don't believe in Buddhism because I don't believe that you need to accept everything the way it is. I pray and God answers my prayers. Circumstances change for the better for me. I have had it happen so many times.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Suffering is just part of life, though. You can't completely get rid of it. I think Pope's point is that we shouldn't insulate ourselves from it but face it and grow from it.
There is no point or purpose in pretending it has any value and serves us any good. Is it really good if someone breaks a bone? Gets cancer? Loses their parents? There is nothing good with those, yet we've beaten into out social conscious to point we believe it necessary like bullying.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There is no point or purpose in pretending it has any value and serves us any good. Is it really good if someone breaks a bone? Gets cancer? Loses their parents? There is nothing good with those, yet we've beaten into out social conscious to point we believe it necessary like bullying.
so you don't think resilience and coping skills can grow stronger from adversity?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
They can. But adversity and opposition aren't inherently or necessarily suffering.
the types that I was referring to are like losing your house, losing your loved one, losing reputation, injuries, poverty, violence (war), near death experiences, or illness. Those types of adversities can produce resilience and coping skills.

(They can and often do involve much suffering, but you are right that they don't have to, and sometimes they do not for some people.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
the types that I was referring to are like losing your house, losing your loved one, losing reputation, injuries, poverty, violence (war), near death experiences, or illness. Those types of adversities can produce resilience and coping skills.
Yes, but they aren't the only things that can. A series of setbacks that doesn't involve losing everything, serious injury, violence, or severe illness can teach those lessons just as well. Such as, you're fingers will hurt and ache as you begin to learn guitar. But there is no need for them to blister and bleed, and if it happens something is wrong and is not in any way good.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes, but they aren't the only things that can. A series of setbacks that doesn't involve losing everything, serious injury, violence, or severe illness can teach those lessons just as well. Such as, you're fingers will hurt and ache as you begin to learn guitar. But there is no need for them to blister and bleed, and if it happens something is wrong and is not in any way good.
True! Better to let the fingers toughen up before they start bleeding and blistering.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I would say learning how to play the guitar was difficult and frustrating for me and did involve some suffering. I would also say that getting a good workout that builds muscles involves suffering too, but that's just my opinion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's neither good nor bad. It just is. Life just happens and it's no use trying to cramp it into black and white boxes or labels. Any positives that come out of it from your perspective would be along the lines of potential personal growth and insight gained from the experience.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's neither good nor bad. It just is. Life just happens and it's no use trying to cramp it into black and white boxes or labels. Any positives that come out of it from your perspective would be along the lines of potential personal growth and insight gained from the experience.
Someone getting struck by lighting just is. It's still not a good thing. A recovered drug addict has no doubt gained perspectives into their selves and life, but drug addiction is objectively horrible.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Someone getting struck by lighting just is. It's still not a good thing. A recovered drug addict has no doubt gained perspectives into their selves and life, but drug addiction is objectively horrible.
Subjectively, not objectively. Also, in some cultures, it was viewed as an numinous event to be struck by lightning, as a god marking or blessing someone and so they or their bodies would be treated with reverence. Things are not one-dimensional.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Subjectively, not objectively. Also, in some cultures, it was viewed as an numinous event to be struck by lightning, as a god marking or blessing someone and so they or their bodies would be treated with reverence. Things are not one-dimensional.
A lightning strike can easily be fatal and cause severe damage. That is not good.