• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those who don't believe in hell

Useless2015

No, that was more like getting leprosy or being invaded by Assyrians or something ;) Nothing about post humus Judgement.
The fact remains, hell is a newfangled invention compared to the oldest Jewish scriptures. I don't even think Jesus believed in it. I think He saw extra punishment and reward for especially extreme people, but not the blanket judgement taught by later jewish heresies.
Tom
No, not really. The wrath of God is the punishment for disbelievers.

For behold, the Lord is coming out from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity, and the earth will disclose the blood shed on it, and will no more cover its slain.

The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord is avenging and wrathful; the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies. The Lord is slow to anger and great in power, and the Lord will by no means clear the guilty. His way is in whirlwind and storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet. He rebukes the sea and makes it dry; he dries up all the rivers; Bashan and Carmel wither; the bloom of Lebanon withers. The mountains quake before him; the hills melt; the earth heaves before him, the world and all who dwell in it. Who can stand before his indignation? Who can endure the heat of his anger? His wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are broken into pieces by him.

vaguelyhumanoid

How sure are you that the others are wrong?

What if the others were right and you were wrong ?

You won't regret the hell fire just by accepting that God is evil by doing so ?

If God is evil, then heaven too is hell. So it's just a question of which hell you like more. I'll take the one full of sodomites, sorcerers and heretics over the one run by Salafis or Calvinists.

The Bible does not teach eternal torment of the wicked. Pagan religions do.

Not really? Please do research and not just define "pagan" as "anything I don't personally like".

Useless2015

It's in the Talmud.

This is also in the Talmud:

"The Akum (non-Jew) is like a dog. Yes, the scripture teaches to honor the the dog more than the non-Jew."

"The Jews are called human beings, but the non-Jews are not humans. They are beasts.

"Even though God created the non-Jew they are still animals in human form. It is not becoming for a Jew to be served by an animal. Therfore he will be served by animals in human form."

"A pregnant non-Jew is no better than a pregnant animal."

"The souls of non-Jews come from impure sprits and are called pigs."

"If you eat with a Gentile, it is the same as eating with a dog."

"If a Jew has a non-Jewish servant or maid who dies, one should not express sympathy to the Jew. You should tell the Jew: "God will replace 'your loss', just as if one of his oxen or asses had died"."

"Every Jew, who spills the blood of the godless (non-Jews), is doing the same as making a sacrifice to God."

vaguelyhumanoid

idk where the fvck you're getting these "Talmud quotes". The last one is especially nonsense because opposition to human sacrifice is a huge theme in Talmudic Judaism iirc.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Are you 100% sure that the Protestant interpretation of Hell doesn't exist? Did you think for a while that it may exist? Would you feel regret if you found yourself in the Protestant version of Hell because you rejected Jesus' death on the cross as an atonement for your sins?

I believe the hell does exist and i believe it doesn't have versions, peoples can make
several hell(s) and several Gods and several stupid ideas (if i may say) and i believe
that there will be a judgement day and that no one will be wronged, i do care not
to harm anybody and try my best for doing the good deeds and to avoid the bad ones.
I put my trust on God and i have nothing to worry about.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
From before the beginning of humankind God purposed to convey God's will by God's son. Nothing can stop that because it is the will of God. If something might stop that God will eliminate the hazard. HOW do you know that the OT scriptures about the destruction of human life is not about that? How do you know?
The point is that neither of us know either way. But, you are adding in a concept that is not present in scripture. Otoh, I am just reading what is there. In other words, it seems like you are making an excuse so that your notion of God isn't compromised.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you sure that I can't throw a football to the moon?
How sure are you?
Are you 100% sure that I can't throw a football to the moon? If yes, then why?

Did you think for a while that I could throw a football to the moon?

Will you feel silly if you found out that I could throw a football to the moon after doubting me?

Moon? Football?

moon94cos-1.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How much you are sure that you're right ?

Pretty sure, but if God is mad enough to roast people for all eternity, we're kinda screwed either way.

are you 100% sure that the hell fire doesn't exist and if yes then why ?

I'm backing either God doesn't exist, to he is at least partially not sadistic

Did you think for awhile that the hell fire may exist ?

Not that I recall.
Will you feel regret if you found yourself in the hell fire afterlife or you won't care about it ?

I would assume I'd be the one getting roasted, so fair to say I'm unlikely to be 'uncaring'.

Unification

Will you feel regret if you found yourself in the hell fire afterlife or you won't care about it ?

I know 100% that mental suffering(hell) exists as an abstract state of mind. All human's have experienced this.

Regret was a part of hell. Living in the past and not able to escape regret. Regret is a burden on the mind. In order to escape hell, one is set free from regret.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The point is that neither of us know either way. But, you are adding in a concept that is not present in scripture. Otoh, I am just reading what is there. In other words, it seems like you are making an excuse so that your notion of God isn't compromised.
I think that EVERYTHING a righteous entity does is related to his will. Do I not know that God's will is to save mankind?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I think that EVERYTHING a righteous entity does is related to his will. Do I not know that God's will is to save mankind?
That is nothing but circular reasoning, assuming Gods righteousness. The point is that the actions of God in question seem to point to God not being righteous.

Flankerl

This is also in the Talmud:

"The Akum (non-Jew) is like a dog. Yes, the scripture teaches to honor the the dog more than the non-Jew."

"The Jews are called human beings, but the non-Jews are not humans. They are beasts.

"Even though God created the non-Jew they are still animals in human form. It is not becoming for a Jew to be served by an animal. Therfore he will be served by animals in human form."

"A pregnant non-Jew is no better than a pregnant animal."

"The souls of non-Jews come from impure sprits and are called pigs."

"If you eat with a Gentile, it is the same as eating with a dog."

"If a Jew has a non-Jewish servant or maid who dies, one should not express sympathy to the Jew. You should tell the Jew: "God will replace 'your loss', just as if one of his oxen or asses had died"."

"Every Jew, who spills the blood of the godless (non-Jews), is doing the same as making a sacrifice to God."

Why are Muslims always coming up with these "quotes"?

Aquitaine

I'm fairly certain that the various Abrahamic concepts of Hell are just primitive methods to control early peasants and to scare people into accepting your ideology. It just reeks of primitive human imagination.

When I was a child, I thought it existed, but eventually you grow out of such nonesense.

If I somehow ended up in - for example - the Christian Hell, then I would rally against the petty, sadistic "upper management" of the place.

Unification

If God is merciful the way you believe it to be then why many people died and will die by earthquakes and by other
means, why God ordered Moses to kill people who were against him, do you think your God is a violent
in one specific time but not in the afterlife, if so then why you think God will be nice and kind in the afterlife ?

You believe those stories to be literal and historical. I see it as a human murdering/conquering/overcoming their abstract thoughts, emotions, and knowledge that are contrary to peace, love, and goodness.

Ironically, murdering the belief in an eternal physical hell torment after physical death... as that is against love, peace, and goodness.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You believe those stories to be literal and historical. I see it as a human murdering/conquering/overcoming their abstract thoughts, emotions, and knowledge that are contrary to peace, love, and goodness.
What stories? People die in natural disasters all the time.