• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoreau vs. the idea of growth and social connection

amorphous_constellation

"I tried to help him with my experience, telling him that he was one of my nearest neighbors, and that I too, who came a-fishing here, and looked like a loafer, was getting my living like himself; that I lived in a tight, light, and clean house, which hardly cost more than the annual rent of such a ruin as his commonly amounts to ; and how, if he chose, he might in a month or two build himself a palace of his own ; that I did not use tea, nor coffee, nor butter, nor milk, nor fresh meat, and so did not have to work to get them ; again, as I did not work hard, I did not have to eat hard, and it cost me but a trifle for my food ; but as he began with tea, and coffee, and butter, and milk, and beef, he had to work hard to pay for them, and when he had worked hard he had to eat hard again to repair the waste of his system, — and so it was as broad as it was long, indeed it was broader than it was long, for he was discontented and wasted his life into the bargain ; and yet he had rated it as a gain in coming to America, that here you could get tea, and coffee, and meat every day. But the only true America is that country where you are at lib- erty to pursue such a mode of life as may enable you to do without these, and where the state does not endeavor to compel you to sustain the slavery and war and other superfluous expenses which directly or indirectly result from the use of such things."

Thoreau, Henry David. Walden; or, Life in the Woods . Boston, Ticknor and Fields, 1854, pp. 221-222

--

Having now read thoreau, I feel the need to conclude that process with another thread.. He wrote many things I didn't fully understand , as the style is far too thick .. but a couple of his riffs seemed clear enough

And I agree with with various criticizers who said he was arrogant (like in this passage, toward the working class) and contradictory , but he made a few sub-points that one might ponder on a bit, or are interesting in the historical context

In the above two sentences from thoreau, I think we might identify a certain narrative in nascent America which failed to fully mature. And that is, that you can't really disconnect from other people , as you are born to be a social node, bridging together people; owing them what you must , and collecting from them for services rendered. And per capitalism , you must compete with them as well , and as we heard from Biden the other day, we must even compete internationally

I'd call Thoreau's sentiment a libertarian one , and was close to doing this, but I think it falls short of even being that. For to we moderns, the libertarian mode is often is framed as a way to enhance growth and competition , which Thoreau wants none of , in this particular statement.

But the striking thing about this passage , is that it probably will resonant with modern people, even though it is 170 years old, and even if it's from a world of general privation , such as common death from tuberculosis. The man , for all his flaws, still saw it all as being too hive-like.

But the nation doesn't really like the idea of hermits , or other modes where you connect only nominally to the greater social environ. To be a hermit or traveler seems only nominally acceptable. You certainly cannot build a cabin where you please , which overlooks some pristine lake somewhere, unless you are a millionaire.

Thoreau only could do this, I think , because capital value was not fully applied to property and material. His American world was totally alien to ours in some ways , and he was able to slip through the cracks , by luck of being being born in a certain part of history

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I had to read that passage a couple of times. He's clearly a fan of simple living and sees the materialist dream of more and more to be a trap.

There have been people like him all along but it does not fit into the materialist zeitgeist of the USA where material possessions are a sign of success and to be therefore lauded.

With what I've read about younger generations desiring experiences more than material possessions, it seems the pendulum might be moving more in Thoreau's direction.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think the updated version of "Walden" is more akin to creating an online business that would allow you to travel and work, sumultaneously. Or living in 'tiny houses' or even vans set up on other people's land, at minimal cost, so one could work part time and still afford to live well enough. Yet could move the home as needed to take advantage of the best "fringe" survival opportunities.

amorphous_constellation

I think the updated version of "Walden" is more akin to creating an online business that would allow you to travel and work, sumultaneously. Or living in 'tiny houses' or even vans set up on other people's land, at minimal cost, so one could work part time and still afford to live well enough. Yet could move the home as needed to take advantage of the best "fringe" survival opportunities.

I suppose.. I guess in my analysis though , walden can't really happen again.. unless we terraform mars or something. The man woke up in what must have been like a modern national park everyday , in terms of the aesthetic present . You can't exactly live in that kind of a giant bubble now, because value has been applied to all the material that exists around us. I might describe the people you're talking about, as trying to ride the pockets of rapids between where value exists

amorphous_constellation

I had to read that passage a couple of times. He's clearly a fan of simple living and sees the materialist dream of more and more to be a trap.

There have been people like him all along but it does not fit into the materialist zeitgeist of the USA where material possessions are a sign of success and to be therefore lauded.

With what I've read about younger generations desiring experiences more than material possessions, it seems the pendulum might be moving more in Thoreau's direction.

Do you agree, surely, that experiences are not about what you fully know? Material is about what you know in a halved sense. If not a complete sense. You can know the most of what money does

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
w
I'd call Thoreau's sentiment a libertarian one , and was close to doing this, but I think it falls short of even being that. For to we moderns, the libertarian mode is often is framed as a way to enhance growth and competition , which Thoreau wants none of , in this particular statement.
That is only one branch of libertarianism, and arguably the one least connected to the fundamentals of libertarian thought, which is based on the concepts of radical freedom (that is, freedom as a fundamental that belies an entire ideal society) and the absence of force and authority.

Thoreau's thoughts were arguably an influence on a branch of libertarianism that is today commonly called Anarcho-Primitivism, which generally/often seeks to return to a lifestyle of pre-industry and pre-urbanism, outside modern industrial society.

I maintain that it is difficult or perhaps even impossible to live "outside society" in this manner, but this view of society and freedom certainly does have its adherents. Less radical versions of these ideas also seem present in the modern environmentalist and Earth Liberation movements.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I suppose.. I guess in my analysis though , walden can't really happen again.. unless we terraform mars or something. The man woke up in what must have been like a modern national park everyday , in terms of the aesthetic present . You can't exactly live in that kind of a giant bubble now, because value has been applied to all the material that exists around us. I might describe the people you're talking about, as trying to ride the pockets of rapids between where value exists
It absolutely can happen, but not for the majority of the Earth's population (although, arguably, that also wasn't possible for most people even in Thoreau's time, as his own lifestyle was preconditioned on the eradication of this "untouched wilderness"'s previous indigenous population.) It could still happen for wealthy billionaire types, many of whom already do own considerable stretches of natural areas. Mark Zuckerberg, for example, famously enjoys hunting his own food.

Of course, the idea of a lifestyle "outside society" in the way Thoreau envisions it is a fiction these days, as only the subjugation of a vast workforce can generate the resources necessary to seize such a piece of natural real estate in the first place.

amorphous_constellation

That is only one branch of libertarianism, and arguably the one least connected to the fundamentals of libertarian thought, which is based on the concepts of radical freedom (that is, freedom as a fundamental that belies an entire ideal society) and the absence of force and authority.

Thoreau's thoughts were arguably an influence on a branch of libertarianism that is today commonly called Anarcho-Primitivism, which generally/often seeks to return to a lifestyle of pre-industry and pre-urbanism, outside modern industrial society.

I maintain that it is difficult or perhaps even impossible to live "outside society" in this manner, but this view of society and freedom certainly does have its adherents. Less radical versions of these ideas also seem present in the modern environmentalist and Earth Liberation movements.

Well he vacillates kind of, ihink in one passage he liked trains, in others he hates them . I don't think he appreciated when the ice cutters came. I'm not totally sure, he was a complicated figure. Overall I think the actions speak for themselves in a way

Will reply to other comment once I can get off this stupid phone

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But the nation doesn't really like the idea of hermits , or other modes where you connect only nominally to the greater social environ. To be a hermit or traveler seems only nominally acceptable. You certainly cannot build a cabin where you please , which overlooks some pristine lake somewhere, unless you are a millionaire.
Hermit? How was Thoreau a hermit? He he was sociable, an active member of his community, and was quite political. During his time in the cabin he visited friends frequently, since guests found the 10' x 15' cabin pretty cramped.
He only lived at the pond for a couple of years.

The cabin was within easy walking distance to neighbors' houses, and did have three chairs: "one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society."

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."(Walden, 90)

"Simplify your life. Don't waste the years struggling for things that are unimportant. Don't burden yourself with possessions. Keep your needs and wants simple and enjoy what you have. Don't destroy your peace of mind by looking back, worrying about the past. Live in the present. Simplify!"
https://www.azquotes.com/quote/1405961

amorphous_constellation

Hermit? How was Thoreau a hermit?

I think I read somewhere that, unless you were a trapper, it was odd to kind of live outside the main hamlet at that time. Though I do agree, I thought he did write somewhere about solitude being the best friend of man, or something. The man watched birds for hours, or would stare at the pond for hours, or work his bean crop all alone. He couldn't deny a need for some company though , but I think that was because he just could not break totally free

amorphous_constellation

It absolutely can happen, but not for the majority of the Earth's population (although, arguably, that also wasn't possible for most people even in Thoreau's time, as his own lifestyle was preconditioned on the eradication of this "untouched wilderness"'s previous indigenous population.) It could still happen for wealthy billionaire types, many of whom already do own considerable stretches of natural areas. Mark Zuckerberg, for example, famously enjoys hunting his own food.

Of course, the idea of a lifestyle "outside society" in the way Thoreau envisions it is a fiction these days, as only the subjugation of a vast workforce can generate the resources necessary to seize such a piece of natural real estate in the first place.

I think I might be misrepresenting some part of this . In america, there is a lot of semi-wild area . It's just that around here, most of it is someone's property. You have drive two or three hundred miles across my state to get to a sizable stretch of county land however , that you could get lost in , and that can be like stepping out into another century. Though in that section, it wouldn't be livable for much of the year, due to cold.

But unless you get out there, much it is someone's property, be it corn fields or just a middle class / rich person's property from the city

In this particular area, the nature all around me is of a swampy, desert marsh. Probably about 500 acres is right to the south of me, but no one can walk there cause the power company owns it. There is a public section to the west, but that is getting suburbs on it soon. Likely, there are occasional homeless people who camp in these areas, but their plight is at odds with the law.

So in other words, the problem around here isn't population density, but ownership. No one stopped Thoreau, ( although I guess it was Emerson's land he was on? ) and he likely didn't understand himself to have a 'yard.'

In any case, if I am able to get toward the end of life, and am able to get a small social security draw, I have the goal of being a traveler, going from camp to camp. Hopefully I don't have to do that sooner than later, but I guess we'll see how the cookie crumbles in my unstable line of rust belt factory work

Last edited: