• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thor: Love & Thunder, Dr. Strange in the..., Spiderman No Way...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I finished these this weekend. I watched them in a different order though: Spiderman Now Way Home, then Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and then Thor: Love & Thunder. That is the proper order.

I like all three. I don't know why two of them get so much crap from the youtube anti-woke critics. I didn't detect any preaching. In particular Thor seems written to please me. It has goats, Korg, Thor, etc. I like goats, because they are naturally funny creatures; but these screaming goats take goatness to the nine. It is a hilarious film. I also like the little play in it, which a certain humorless youtube critic complains is pointless filler. The whole thing is great.

I am now all prepped for the next Guardians of the Galaxy film, which will be #3.

For those who are not sure which order to see the Marvel films in, just follow the year of publication. There are quite a few films, so it can seem like a jumble. If you go by the publication year you will be fine.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I finished these this weekend. I watched them in a different order though: Spiderman Now Way Home, then Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and then Thor: Love & Thunder. That is the proper order.

I like all three. I don't know why two of them get so much crap from the youtube anti-woke critics. I didn't detect any preaching. In particular Thor seems written to please me. It has goats, Korg, Thor, etc. I like goats, because they are naturally funny creatures; but these screaming goats take goatness to the nine. It is a hilarious film. I also like the little play in it, which a certain humorless youtube critic complains is pointless filler. The whole thing is great.

I am now all prepped for the next Guardians of the Galaxy film, which will be #3.

For those who are not sure which order to see the Marvel films in, just follow the year of publication. There are quite a few films, so it can seem like a jumble. If you go by the publication year you will be fine.

I liked all three of these films. Honestly, have had little disappointment with the MCU as a whole. But I would like to see a bit more creative flair get thrown in. It's a tad formulaic. But overall a 9/10.

*This is the criticism sandwich. Always say a criticism in between two praises

Give more then take.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Spoiler Alert.
Spiderman No Way Home blew me away. It was fantastic to see all those characters. And they really did use those characters in the film, not just brief cameos. Particularly William Dafoe, who I thought was wasted behing the mask in the first one.

Dr. Strange I thought was good, but a little disappointing. They didn't really use all those characters to the fullest, Patrick Stewart could have done so much more. And it would have been better if they took more time before revealing the bad person in the film. Don't get me wrong, it was good, I enjoyed it, but it could have been much better. (Bruce Campbel was fantastic as always)

I haven't seen Love and Thunder yet. Thor movies have always been my least favourite in the MCU. But I might get around to seeing it eventually.

Watchmen

Premium Member

Wokeism has nothing to do with it.
Dr Strange 2 and Thor L&T are just plain bad.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know why two of them get so much crap from the youtube anti-woke critics.

Because, as you have seen for yourself, some people express outrage at any hint of depictions outside their own ideological norms. Some also profit off appealing to the prejudices of their primary audience, so they may resort to expression of outrage in order to amplify this appeal. A fleeting same-sex kiss in Lightyear is seen as "woke" by many such critics.

Thankfully, the loud "anti-woke" circle on YouTube rarely ever reflects any significant trends in the real world—outside social media and the echo chambers thereof, that is.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Marvel is dead, and has been for some time.
There will always be the old comics, and you can still get copies of those or possibly even digital versions.

Thor: Love and Thunder revisits religious questions: Do the gods deserve to exist, do they have a function, are they evil, and also does vengeance against gods make sense. Should we kill them all, judge them. The writers don't answer the questions they raise, preferring only to suggest that vengeance is an empty gesture. I think the subtle 'Message' is to allow religious diversity.

Watchmen

Premium Member
There will always be the old comics, and you can still get copies of those or possibly even digital versions.

Thor: Love and Thunder revisits religious questions: Do the gods deserve to exist, do they have a function, are they evil, and also does vengeance against gods make sense. Should we kill them all, judge them. The writers don't answer the questions they raise, preferring only to suggest that vengeance is an empty gesture. I think the subtle 'Message' is to allow religious diversity.
Marvel certainly promotes religious diversity. We’ve seen the afterlife for a few different characters now and each one corresponds with that character’s beliefs.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Because, as you have seen for yourself, some people express outrage at any hint of depictions outside their own ideological norms. Some also profit off appealing to the prejudices of their primary audience, so they may resort to expression of outrage in order to amplify this appeal. A fleeting same-sex kiss in Lightyear is seen as "woke" by many such critics.

Thankfully, the loud "anti-woke" circle on YouTube rarely ever reflects any significant trends in the real world—outside social media and the echo chambers thereof, that is.
I haven't seen Lightyear.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

I liked Love and Thunder. Not as much as Ragnarok, but eh. I liked it well enough I guess

As for the “anti woke” crowd.
I dunno. They seem to decry material promoting any sort of tolerance, material that has done exactly that since the 30s at least. Hell the Marvel comics had “Stan’s Soapbox.” Where he’d literally tell the audience directly to their face not to be mean to folks lol
And indeed many comic writers over the years have expressed that to write without a message is shallow at best
It’s one thing to find a message being heavy handed in material. That just happens in storytelling in general. How well that is covered up depends on the team, usually