• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Jefferson and the seperation of church and state.

Rex

Founder
A quote from a letter he wrote to Virginia Baptists in 1808:
Because religious belief, or non-belief, is such an important part of every person's life, freedom of religion affects every individual. State churches that use government power to support themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of the church tends to make the clergy unresponsive to the people and leads to corruption within religion. Erecting the "wall of separation between church and state," therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society.
How do you take this?

linwood

I take it that there should be no state sanctioned religion.

Unfortunately the current administration chooses to ignore it.

I`m very thankful for the judicial branch it seems to be the only check and or balance that keeps us from the Christian alternative to shiria law.(sp)?

Lightkeeper

I think he is saying that if the state gets involved with religion, we would lose religious freedom. The state would start dictating religious dogma and would put a bind on churches.