• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This year's whaling season "deadliest in years"

Have you ever had whale meat?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No, but I would like to try it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I would never eat a whale as they're at least as intelligent and complex as human beings, maybe even more intelligent. It would be equivalent to killing and eating a person, to me. Whales are sacred animals to me.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those Norwegians eat lutefisk and kæst skata for heaven's sake. Apparently they'll eat anything. :rolleyes:

"kæst skata" - I had to look it up and found this article.

Eating smelly fish, an Icelandic Christmas tradition : Get Local in Iceland

Rotten stingray (kæst skata)
Rotten stingray or kæst skata as Icelanders call them has been served for hundreds of years, mostly due to the fact that Icelanders needed a way to preserve their food but in modern times it has become a part of the Christmas tradition as many families and friends use the opportunity to celebrate while feasting and sharing a shot of snaps (black death vodka) and some christmas beer.

Traditionally Kæst Skata is served with a side of boiled potatoes, boiled turnip, melted lambs fat called Hamsatólg and sweet rye bread.

I guess they eat so that their Christmas dinner will taste great.

An Icelandic Christmas tradition
Some say the main reason why people eat Skata is because everything you eat afterwards will taste great so no matter what your Christmas dinner will include you will enjoy it so much better after having a plate of rotten fish!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Not all herbivores. An Ox sits peacefuly and just eats and eats. And when it's big enough many people can eat it.
They can. And the justification for this is that an ox just eats and eats. A whale eats and eats. A beetle eats and eats. You eat and eat.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I like vegetarian food, but I hate to get a wedgie :oops:

How about a vegetarian wedgie? :D
I would never eat a whale as they're at least as intelligent and complex as human beings, maybe even more intelligent. It would be equivalent to killing and eating a person, to me. Whales are sacred animals to me.

Same reason I don't eat pork: I can't bring myself to make a sandwich out of something that's smarter and more well mannered then most of my friends and relatives.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
How about a vegetarian wedgie? :D

Same reason I don't eat pork: I can't bring myself to make a sandwich out of something that's smarter and more well mannered then most of my friends and relatives.
That's fair. I want to cut down on beef and pork, myself. Got some veggie burgers in the freezer.