• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This world or the next

Elliott5779

i struggle with the challenge of life (who doesn't). We are taught that this world is only temporary (which is obvious since i will die one day) and that the world to come is eternal.

My problem is that this world is real to me while the world to come... if i truly understood and could see the next world i'd feel very differently about it than i do now. The next world is something you hear about but can't see or visit.

i find myself stuck because i want all the good i can get from both worlds, but the deffinition of good is very different here and there.

i just felt like talking, not sure anyone can actually help.

WalterTrull

Godfella
i struggle with the challenge of life (who doesn't). We are taught that this world is only temporary (which is obvious since i will die one day) and that the world to come is eternal.

My problem is that this world is real to me while the world to come... if i truly understood and could see the next world i'd feel very differently about it than i do now. The next world is something you hear about but can't see or visit.

i find myself stuck because i want all the good i can get from both worlds, but the deffinition of good is very different here and there.

Definitions are the same. Can't see around the corner either. Oh well.

whirlingmerc

I find focusing on God helps me enjoy and cope with this world now

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Write a letter to your future self.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Write a letter to your future self.
and then in the future, write a letter to your past self...

Not sure if that's a help at all to the OP...

Frankly, while some tell us that this life is temporary and the next is eternal, I have dropped that as a belief (although I acknowledge that it is a possibility). My belief is that we have many, many lives in this world...the world to come is just this world, in a new body and new experiences, etc.

However, I also believe that when we die, we go to live with our ancestors and other kinfolk (human persons and other-than-human persons) in the spirit worlds. Maybe we do all sorts of different things because we are not just "one" thing, one spirit, but are actually many.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This prayer of Baha'u'llah has a way and asks for the good of both worlds.

"Praise be unto Thee, O my God! I am one of Thy servants, who hath believed on Thee and on Thy signs. Thou seest how I have set myself towards the door of Thy mercy, and turned my face in the direction of Thy loving-kindness. I beseech Thee, by Thy most excellent titles and Thy most exalted attributes, to open to my face the portals of Thy bestowals. Aid me, then, to do that which is good, O Thou Who art the Possessor of all names and attributes!
I am poor, O my Lord, and Thou art the Rich. I have set my face towards Thee, and detached myself from all but Thee. Deprive me not, I implore Thee, of the breezes of Thy tender mercy, and withhold not from me what Thou didst ordain for the chosen among Thy servants.
Remove the veil from mine eyes, O my Lord, that I may recognize what Thou hast desired for Thy creatures, and discover, in all the manifestations of Thy handiwork, the revelations of Thine almighty power. Enrapture my soul, O my Lord, with Thy most mighty signs, and draw me out of the depths of my corrupt and evil desires. Write down, then, for me the good of this world and of the world to come. Potent art Thou to do what pleaseth Thee. No God is there but Thee, the All-Glorious, Whose help is sought by all men.
I yield Thee thanks, O my Lord, that Thou hast wakened me from my sleep, and stirred me up, and created in me the desire to perceive what most of Thy servants have failed to apprehend. Make me able, therefore, O my Lord, to behold, for love of Thee and for the sake of Thy pleasure, 55whatsoever Thou hast desired. Thou art He to the power of Whose might and sovereignty all things testify.
There is none other God but Thee, the Almighty, the Beneficent."

This world.is the matrix for the world to come, one must obtain spiritual virtues in this life.

There is a lot to discuss on this subject.

Regards Tony

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
i find myself stuck because i want all the good i can get from both worlds,
I have come to believe what brings us the most true and lasting happiness in this life is the same things that will give us happiness on the spiritual plane. Things like love, peace, contentment, detachment work for happiness on all planes of nature

Jumi

I think it's best to focus on this world and be honest about our views on here, if the next comes we'll be ahead in it with no disappointment or shock.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

After living for the last 47+ years with someone that has talked to those who have passed as a matter of course, I have come to neither doubt nor fear what comes next. My advice to you is, like @Jumi said, to focus on the now; the next phase will take care of itself. Live as the person you would want others to be.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

May I suggest that in this world we want to do our best for the next world. That means we will have the best behavior and it will make us the most happy. But we don't do it to slack off in the afterlife. In the afterlife there is even more challenge for those who did good and even more happiness.

Jeremiah Ames

A super wonderful question. I’m sure everyone has had similar thoughts.

When I was young I could only see this world, and my mind did not bother to think of the next. And for sure, my attachment to this world meant, my thoughts could only ponder living here as long as possible.

After nearly 70 years, my mind has changed dramatically. Over the past year or so, my mind has been opening to what the next world is like. This has come from pretty intense study of the Word. No videos, no self help books, no science fiction movies. The Word. The wierd part is: the more I can see and understand, the more I know that what I see and understand is nothing compared to what I have yet to see.

Now, life is so different. I am content with my life here, but when it’s time to go, I’m ready. My family is aware that when that time comes, they should celebrate and party. It’s an incredible feeling to have what appears to be understanding of things not of this world. If what I see is reality, then it’s a win-win. If it’s just my imagination or an illusion, it’s still a win-win. There is no downside.