• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"This Video Will Absolutely Convince You Jonah Was Swallowed by a Whale"

Skwim

Veteran Member
OR a great fish, or a sea monster, or simply a sea creature, depending on what Bible you've picked up. In any case :D . . . . . . we have this cute little item about a video made by Dr. Sean McDowell, an associate professor in the Christian Apologetics program at Biola University.

"How do you become a Christian apologist? Simple. You just say “God did it” every time someone points out a biblical impossibility. The more fancy you make it sound, the more casually you look and speak, the more emotion you throw into your explanations, the more popular and respected you will be.

Case in point: Here’s Dr. Sean McDowell attempting to answer whether the character Jonah was really swallowed by a whale and lived inside its body for three days and three nights.

The correct answer, of course, is Hahahahahaha, of course that’s not true.

His answer is a fancy form of “God did it.”

First, he offers some factors that he claims give the story a “ring of authenticity”: Jesus mentioned him as a historical figure, Jonah’s not a typical hero, etc. (Checkmate, atheists!)

Then he gets into the bigger picture.

… Look, if God could speak the world into existence; if God can make life from non-life; if God can come down in the person of Jesus and walk on water, heal the blind, and heal lepers, then putting Jonah in the fish for three days is child’s play.

[We have] good historical reason to think it’s authentic, but when we step back and look at the larger case for God, then Jonah being swallowed by a big fish is actually quite easy in many circumstances to believe could be true.
There you have it. I can only assume all of you are convinced. I mean, there was music in the video. What more do you need to be convinced that Christian myths are true?!
source

Amusing, but of course the real point is that it's sorry defenses such as this (any impossibility is resolved by playing the "God Did It" card) that reveal Christian apologetics as the bankrupt operation it is.

Last edited:

Nimos

OR a great fish, or a sea monster, or simply a sea creature, depending on what Bible you've picked up. In any case :D . . . . . . we have this cute little item about a video made by Dr. Sean McDowell, an associate professor in the Christian Apologetics program at Biola University.

"How do you become a Christian apologist? Simple. You just say “God did it” every time someone points out a biblical impossibility. The more fancy you make it sound, the more casually you look and speak, the more emotion you throw into your explanations, the more popular and respected you will be.

Case in point: Here’s Dr. Sean McDowell attempting to answer whether the character Jonah was really swallowed by a whale and lived inside its body for three days and three nights.

First, he offers some factors that he claims give the story a “ring of authenticity”: Jesus mentioned him as a historical figure, Jonah’s not a typical hero, etc. (Checkmate, atheists!)

… Look, if God could speak the world into existence; if God can make life from non-life; if God can come down in the person of Jesus and walk on water, heal the blind, and heal lepers, then putting Jonah in the fish for three days is child’s play.

[We have] good historical reason to think it’s authentic, but when we step back and look at the larger case for God, then Jonah being swallowed by a big fish is actually quite easy in many circumstances to believe could be true.
There you have it. I can only assume all of you are convinced. I mean, there was music in the video. What more do you need to be convinced that Christian myths are true?!
source
Amusing, but of course the real point is that it's sorry defenses such as this (any impossibility is resolved by playing the "God Did It" card) that reveal Christian apologetics as the bakrupt operation it is.

Im normally very skeptic about these things, but this guy makes an EXTREMELY strong case, I mean the amount of solid evidence is just so overwhelming, im speechless. He pretty much had me at the intro "Bringing truth to a new generation" and he have a PH.D!!!!! I see a nobel prize on its way :D

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

source
Amusing, but of course the real point is that it's sorry defenses such as this (any impossibility is resolved by playing the "God Did It" card) that reveal Christian apologetics as the bakrupt operation it is.

And here I thought this was an allegory. A cautionary tale intended to lead us to follow the righteous path and serve God and not a retelling of an actual event.

After seeing this video and the evidence he uses, I am convinced. Jonah was swallowed by a BOUS (bass of unusual size). Thank goodness pastors like that do not ask for money, my hand was half way to my bank card as it was.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember the first time I heard a Catholic priest say during a homily that Jonah could be read as an allegory and there were actually textual reasons to think that's how it was intended. My literalist Evangelical mind was BLOWN.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And here I thought this was an allegory. A cautionary tale intended to lead us to follow the righteous path and serve God and not a retelling of an actual event.

After seeing this video and the evidence he uses, I am convinced. Jonah was swallowed by a BOUS (bass of unusual size). Thank goodness pastors like that do not ask for money, my hand was half way to my bank card as it was.
And obviously a Large Mouthed Bass.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Dang. Who needs pastors, reverends or ministers anymore when you have Dr's.

Check this out...

Ph.D. Apologetics and Worldview Studies, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (2014)

M.A. Philosophy, Talbot School of Theology (summa cum laude, 2003)

M.A. Theology, Talbot School of Theology (summa cum laude, 2003)

B.A. Biola University (summa cum laude, 1998)

Major: Communications; Minor: Bible,

Sean McDowell | Curriculum Vitae

If anybody knows anything about fish, it's Him.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Dang. Who needs pastors, reverends or ministers anymore when you have Dr's.

Check this out...

Ph.D. Apologetics and Worldview Studies, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (2014)

M.A. Philosophy, Talbot School of Theology (summa cum laude, 2003)

M.A. Theology, Talbot School of Theology (summa cum laude, 2003)

B.A. Biola University (summa cum laude, 1998)

Major: Communications; Minor: Bible,

Sean McDowell | Curriculum Vitae

If anybody knows anything about fish, it's Him.
I wonder why it took him as long as is indicated? I thought you paid your money and picked up your degree at the other side of the mill.

whirlingmerc

source
Amusing, but of course the real point is that it's sorry defenses such as this (any impossibility is resolved by playing the "God Did It" card) that reveal Christian apologetics as the bankrupt operation it is.

I was already convinced.

Sean looks a bit like his dad Josh MacDowell

shmogie

Didn´t watch your video, if you selected it, it is obviously pretty poor.

So you say Christian apologetics is bankrupt, because we acknowledge that God is omnipotent., and has reached into His creation for a variety of reasons, OK.

As an atheist then, you must appreciate science apologetics, that is the concept that science has the faculty to to explain all things.

In this discipline, what cannot be explained is not true, or it is as if it has been explained by science , because science says it can and will explain it. Sort of like an interlocutory decree in a divorce.

The most outrageous ideas, have the bona fides , the seal of approval, of science and are placidly accepted.

So then, it is hilarious that some believe a large fish acts within the plan itś creator had for it.

Those same people accept with all seriousness the idea that the true parents of life and of humanity are rocks, from which the rain leached out chemicals, that interacted with whatever from the atmosphere, and hey presto, life was the result.

I guess we all can believev impossible stuff, huh ?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Didn´t watch your video, if you selected it, it is obviously pretty poor.

So you say Christian apologetics is bankrupt, because we acknowledge that God is omnipotent., and has reached into His creation for a variety of reasons, OK.

The reason Christian apologetics is bankrupt in this context is because God is unfalsifiable as an explanation for phenomena. By definition, there is no set of circumstances we could ever imagine that an omnipotent being couldn't cause to occur.

As an atheist then, you must appreciate science apologetics, that is the concept that science has the faculty to to explain all things.

Incorrect. What I assert is that science is the best method for finding explanations for natural phenomena that humans have ever come up with. If there is anything supernatural, by definition science cannot verify anything about it.

In this discipline, what cannot be explained is not true

False. What cannot be explained is simply that - unexplained. The error theists make is to assert that because we don't have an explanation for something, God must have done it. That is fallacious reasoning, and, again, unfalsifiable.

or it is as if it has been explained by science , because science says it can and will explain it.
Science has demonstrated itself to be the best method for finding explanations for phenomena in all human history. We're communicating through technology that has been made possible by scientific investigation and experimentation.

The most outrageous ideas, have the bona fides , the seal of approval, of science and are placidly accepted.
Again, false. No ideas are "placidly accepted" in science. For ideas (better word, hypotheses) to become accepted they have to be testable and falsifiable, and have to stand up to experimentation. And even then, it is understood that they are tentative models of reality that can be falsified if further contrary evidence is uncovered.

So then, it is hilarious that some believe a large fish acts within the plan itś creator had for it.
It's hilarious to believe that a human being would live for three days after being swallowed by a fish, yes. It is flagrantly contrary to what we know about both fish and humans.

Those same people accept with all seriousness the idea that the true parents of life and of humanity are rocks, from which the rain leached out chemicals, that interacted with whatever from the atmosphere, and hey presto, life was the result.
Strawman. You need to do some reading from peer reviewed academic sources on abiogenesis. Honestly, don't you want to understand the strongest version of your opponents' views rather than the weakest?

MJFlores

source

After Noah, we come to Jonah.
At least it rhymes

More than eighty percent of our ocean is unmapped, unobserved, and unexplored. Much remains to be learned from exploring the mysteries of the deep.Jul 11, 2018
How much of the ocean have we explored?

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/exploration.html

So how can a man be wise enough than the combined scientists of
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of the US Department of Commerce?
He must be a genius that he have mapped, observed and explored all the oceans
and found out that there was no huge fish capable of swallowing Jonah.
Too smart that he knew all these things without getting his pants wet.

Matthew 12:40 New International Version (NIV)
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus Christ said it was a huge fish and compared Jonah to him
spending 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth
well there is no reason not to believe it

upload_2019-5-14_12-1-21.jpeg

Thief

Rogue Theologian
ok.....let's play the scenario by vision....

you're on the boat
the storm comes on strong
it looks really bad......and a passenger claims it's all his fault

you don't buy it

but the situation worsens and you begin to wonder
and the passenger keeps insisting......it stops when I go overboard

ok then......over the side he goes.....man overboard

and the storm begins to ease up immediately

and the last thing you see of him......something took him under the water
it was big

so.....was the account written by the shipmate?
or by Jonah?

quite frankly...I think it's a metaphor
Jonah....while trying to escape...
was swallowed up by Something Greater than himself

shmogie

The reason Christian apologetics is bankrupt in this context is because God is unfalsifiable as an explanation for phenomena. By definition, there is no set of circumstances we could ever imagine that an omnipotent being couldn't cause to occur.

Incorrect. What I assert is that science is the best method for finding explanations for natural phenomena that humans have ever come up with. If there is anything supernatural, by definition science cannot verify anything about it.

False. What cannot be explained is simply that - unexplained. The error theists make is to assert that because we don't have an explanation for something, God must have done it. That is fallacious reasoning, and, again, unfalsifiable.

Science has demonstrated itself to be the best method for finding explanations for phenomena in all human history. We're communicating through technology that has been made possible by scientific investigation and experimentation.

Again, false. No ideas are "placidly accepted" in science. For ideas (better word, hypotheses) to become accepted they have to be testable and falsifiable, and have to stand up to experimentation. And even then, it is understood that they are tentative models of reality that can be falsified if further contrary evidence is uncovered.

It's hilarious to believe that a human being would live for three days after being swallowed by a fish, yes. It is flagrantly contrary to what we know about both fish and humans.

Strawman. You need to do some reading from peer reviewed academic sources on abiogenesis. Honestly, don't you want to understand the strongest version of your opponents' views rather than the weakest?
I state what I state because I have done a lot of reading re abiogenesis, including peer reviewed publications.

After all the smoke clears over simple polymers of protein or amino acids, or hypotheses about chemical self reproduction, or whatever, the bottom line is exactly the same, how it occurred is absolutely unknown.

So science is about natural explanations, theology about supernatural explanations.

If atheists invoke the scientific method to void the methods and conclusions of a totally different discipline, why can´t theology be used to void the scientific method ?

Why do atheists continually want to drag theology and itś conclusionś into their field, and then attempt to obliterate it using their standards ?

To a theologist scientific proof of the existence of God may be an irrelevant point, Her discipline is about exploring God in complex and varied ways.

Bottom line, it is apples and oranges.

I personally value science highly. At the beginning of my university program I thought much about studying biology, with a concentration in entomology.

I have long held interests in astronomy and cosmology.

I, of course have a very deep interest in Christian theology, apologetics, philosophy, and the discipline of logic.

Some of my friends are Christians and scientists, one, a prominent, highly published microbiologist.

Science may never have the proof it demands for the existence of God, thatś fine, itś their game when their rules are applied.

However, their criticism means little in theology

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I state what I state because I have done a lot of reading re abiogenesis, including peer reviewed publications.
Then you should be well aware that "poof! Then life happened" as if by magic is not what any serious abiogenesis hypothesis postulates. That's creationism, not science.

After all the smoke clears over simple polymers of protein or amino acids, or hypotheses about chemical self reproduction, or whatever, the bottom line is exactly the same, how it occurred is absolutely unknown.
I agree. And an explanation being currently unknown is not a rational justification for asserting that God did it.

If atheists invoke the scientific method to void the methods and conclusions of a totally different discipline
Void is an odd word choice there. Science does not "void" supernatural claims. Science has nothing to say about alleged supernatural realities, except when those alleged supernatural realities are postulated as explanations for phenomena in nature. When you step into empirical turf, science does have things to say. Like the idea that a guy could be swallowed by a fish and survive inside its stomach for three days.

Why do atheists continually want to drag theology and itś conclusionś into their field, and then attempt to obliterate it using their standards?

You have the blame reversed. It is creationists who want to drag their supernaturalism into the empirical realm. This is why they constantly bring up abiogenesis, evolution, the age of the earth, etc. and try desperately to poke any hole they can think of into them, as though doing so somehow demonstrates the existence of their God or the accuracy of their creation myths. When the reality is, the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Even if scientists are completely and utterly wrong about how life emerged or how it evolved, that is irrelevant as to whether Christianity is true or there's a God.

To a theologist scientific proof of the existence of God may be an irrelevant point, Her discipline is about exploring God in complex and varied ways.

We agree! So I look forward to you joining me in chiding creationists in future threads when they bring up evolution or abiogenesis as though they're relevant to theism, or attempt to argue that empirical evidence in nature somehow demonstrates a god or the validity of Christian theology. Thank you!

Skwim

Veteran Member

Balder poop! It is not "absolutely" unknown. Scientists have a very good idea of how it couldn't happen---knowing the impossibilities is almost as important as knowing the possibilities. And if you have read peer reviewed publications I question your selection and/or understanding of them, because a good deal of knowledge has been acquired pointing to the likely mechanisms and processes of abiogenesis.

If atheists invoke the scientific method to void the methods and conclusions of a totally different discipline, why can´t theology be used to void the scientific method ?
Because theology isn't open to competing facts like science is, but must conform to the dictates of faith. There's a hell of a lot of truth in the old cartoon.

cartoon.gif

Why do atheists continually want to drag theology and itś conclusionś into their field, and then attempt to obliterate it using their standards ?
Just what theology and itś conclusionś have you seen dragged into the field of science? The only time I ever see scientists addressing a theological issue is when the religious faithful attack some finding of science; the most prominent being their defense of evolution. And even then the issue is seldom one of theology, but of science.

As he opens a can of red herrings.

First reasonable remark you've made so far.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
ok....so if we find an interesting item.....
we should not seek a means to support the premise????