• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This thread is so gay

Is it always wrong to use the word gay as an insult or as a joke?

• Yes

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 47.1%

• Total voters

Primordial Annihilator

Do you view that as healthy communication, or no?

In my post I pointed out that when people use potentially hurtful slang against themselves or their friends, it becomes ok to them rather than insulting. I don't see all that much harm in it but don't consider it the healthiest of humor types either.

What are your thoughts?

I like banter so in the context of good humor I don't mind practically any insult, as long as it is funny ie true...

I just find the derogatory name calling of Gay ie 'Your gay!' when that person annoys you for some reason...midly offensive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Re the facebook thread and the word gay.
Is using the word gay as an insult or a joke equivalent to using the word ni**er in the same context?
I have to admit I have unthinkingly used the word jokingly at times, g*y that is, not ni**er. I don't personally feel homophobic but I suppose nobody who is does.
Of course it's offensive & entirely wrong. That's why I use it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It's exactly as offensive as "******-rigged," "Indian giver," and "Jewed him down."

If people used the word "Irish" or the word "Hindu" the way you use the word "gay," would you even have to ask the question?

I think it's different. Again, because of the origin of the word.
Also, something is only offensive if the people in the community decide it is. My gay friends use that word just as much as the next person.

I've never heard anybody in my country take offence to the use of the word. As far as I can tell, it is because saying that something is 'gay' has no cognitive affiliation with homosexuality, when used in that context. At least that is how it seems to be in my culture.

Actually, there are some good examples of how this is the case with other words. Ie/ 'bas**rd'. You can call someone this word, but the people in the group who are actually born from parents outside of wedlock will not be offended. Because the word in this culture is use colloquially to mean something very different.

But big emphasis on this: It might not be considered offensive in my culture, but it might be in another. As a result, if it is offensive in your culture, I would be mindful of the words I use.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
I voted no because it doesn't bother me in certain contexts. I.e. I am not fond of the sort of music that is typically played in second rate gay clubs, and I've been known to say "can we listen to something a little less gay?" when someone puts Scissor Sisters on. There's no malice involved though. I just prefer to wallow in angsty emo music. OTOH, it's not a word I'd ever use for people.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Insulting a "group" by using a word is of course wrong.

The word "gay" isnt offensive or insulting.Its when its used as a put down as in every other word that descrbes a group as a put down... its mean.

The "N" word ????YIKES!! With the "a" at the end used in "friendly" terms still makes me nervous..The "N" word to me I guess because of where Im from and how old I am "offends me"

The whole what UP N (with igga not a igger at the end?) Im some what used to..But I let the black people say that.I might sing along to rap and say it..

I guess because when I grew up there was no "friendly" version of that and it makes me feel very uncomfortable.It just doesnt "roll " of my tongue very well.Basically I was taught to NEVER say that word.

Gay???I only heard in a Christmas song.

Gay doesnt bother me at all as long as Im saying it "litterally"..Like instead of "homosexual" but not ever derogoratory.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It is derogatory to homosexual people to use the word "gay" to designate something as "stupid", "uncool", or in some way undesirable. End of story.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm aware that many people who use the word that way aren't conscious of any bigotry on their own part, and are merely thoughtless or stupid. However, when people continue to defend that use of the word after they've learned that it's offensive, I think it's safe to assume some level of bigotry in addition to thoughtlessness and stupidity.

I don't think that's a safe assumption. I couldn't be more for equal rights for the LGBT community, but I use the word in the "that's so gay" way on occasion. I can see why some people would be offended, but I also know two gay guys IRL with whom I've discussed it who have no problem with that use, and others online who don't have a problem with it. Generally my friends are very liberal and supportive of LGBTs. We all understand that say "That's gay" doesn't mean being homosexual is somehow bad.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
. We all understand that say "That's gay" doesn't mean being homosexual is somehow bad.
That's exactly what it's saying. If we said "That's so British" to mean "That's so uncool", doesn't that insinuate some connection with British being uncool? I don't see how you can argue that it doesn't.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That's exactly what it's saying. If we said "That's so British" to mean "That's so uncool", doesn't that insinuate some connection with British being uncool? I don't see how you can argue that it doesn't.

Because that's not what it means in many contexts. Obviously people can use it in a way to mean there's something wrong with being homosexual, but that's not how many people I know use it. If I say "Those uniforms are gay", I don't mean "Being homosexual is bad". I liken it to the use of "retarded". When I say a movie is retarded, I'm not insulting mentally retarded people. As someone else said, there's no cognitive affiliation with homosexuality when the word is used like this.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Since when did homosexuals get ownership over the word gay? If I say something is "so gay," the context has nothing to do with homosexuality. Of course, I don't use the phrase in front of gay people, but that's because I'm just a sensitive guy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My ex's Scottish relatives would use "that's Irish" to mean "that's strange" or "that's crazy". It always bugged me when they did it.

Because that's not what it means in many contexts. Obviously people can use it in a way to mean there's something wrong with being homosexual, but that's not how many people I know use it. If I say "Those uniforms are gay", I don't mean "Being homosexual is bad".
You don't? That's what it implies.

If you use "those uniforms are gay" as a way of saying that there's something wrong with them, then the implication is that describing something as "gay" means that there's something wrong with what's being described.

I liken it to the use of "retarded". When I say a movie is retarded, I'm not insulting mentally retarded people.
I think you kind of are, actually.

As someone else said, there's no cognitive affiliation with homosexuality when the word is used like this.
Not on your part, maybe, but you do realize that there is a link in the minds of others, right?

Weren't you the one who just finished telling someone in another thread how they don't get to just make up their own definitions to established words?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Because that's not what it means in many contexts. Obviously people can use it in a way to mean there's something wrong with being homosexual, but that's not how many people I know use it. If I say "Those uniforms are gay", I don't mean "Being homosexual is bad". I liken it to the use of "retarded". When I say a movie is retarded, I'm not insulting mentally retarded people. As someone else said, there's no cognitive affiliation with homosexuality when the word is used like this.
Do you think it's just coincidence that the word gay is used to mean "uncool"? Come on. Where do you think it came from?

Everytime you use to the word "gay" to denote something as "uncool" you are perpetuating the concept that being gay is uncool.