• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This thread is so gay

Is it always wrong to use the word gay as an insult or as a joke?

• Yes

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 47.1%

• Total voters
Re the facebook thread and the word gay.

Is using the word gay as an insult or a joke equivalent to using the word ni**er in the same context?

I have to admit I have unthinkingly used the word jokingly at times, g*y that is, not ni**er. I don't personally feel homophobic but I suppose nobody who is does.

Last edited:
This is pushy of me, but before you vote could you wait until there has been a bit of a discussion before committing yourself to a position.
Thanks.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Ooops i voted already.

As someone who jokes around with the word gay a lot, I don't think it's rude. It's part of my culture to use that word. When used in that context, nobody (in my culture) thinks of homosexuality. It's just like any other word that is spelled the same but has different meanings.

The difference might be that 'ni**er' was originally a word referring to race (correct me if im wrong). Gay means happy, originally. When used to refer to either homosexuals or as an adjective it is slang.

Last edited:

Nerthus

Wanderlust
As with all words, whether or not it's offensive depends on the context in which it's being used. I mean gay was traditionally used as happy/ joyful.

I never used that word, unless referring to a gay person. It just isn't me.

Renji

I think it's not an insult. One of my female classmates used to call me 'gay' in a joking manner. So I call her 'bro' in return:D

Maybe it also depends on how it is used..

Smoke

Done here.
It's exactly as offensive as "******-rigged," "Indian giver," and "Jewed him down."

If people used the word "Irish" or the word "Hindu" the way you use the word "gay," would you even have to ask the question?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's exactly as offensive as "******-rigged," "Indian giver," and "Jewed him down."

If people used the word "Irish" or the word "Hindu" the way you use the word "gay," would you even have to ask the question?

That's the way I see it too.

Even if it was originally used as "happy and joyful", that's not the way it is being used today, either as describing sexuality or as in the context of the OP.

Midnight Pete

As with all words, whether or not it's offensive depends on the context in which it's being used. I mean gay was traditionally used as happy/ joyful.

I never used that word, unless referring to a gay person. It just isn't me.

When it's used as an insult or put-down, I think "gay" means "stupid, undesirable, of no value." I think it's kind of rare that this word is used by teenagers to actually denote homosexuality. Kind of like the colloquial use of "sick."

Renji

When it's used as an insult or put-down, I think "gay" means "stupid, undesirable, of no value." I think it's kind of rare that this word is used by teenagers to actually denote homosexuality. Kind of like the colloquial use of "sick."

It could actually mean that someone is "too serious". We sometimes call a person 'gay' so that he/she would 'lighten up' his environment. It could also mean that someone is 'clumsy'. That's the 'trend' in our class. But it isn't meant as an insult.

Smoke

Done here.
But it isn't meant as an insult.
I'm aware that many people who use the word that way aren't conscious of any bigotry on their own part, and are merely thoughtless or stupid. However, when people continue to defend that use of the word after they've learned that it's offensive, I think it's safe to assume some level of bigotry in addition to thoughtlessness and stupidity.

Renji

I'm aware that many people who use the word that way aren't aware of any bigotry on their own part, and are merely thoughtless or stupid.

Yep yep, they unconsciously 'insult' 'those people', so to say.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

I'm with him.

Nerthus

Wanderlust

Yeah, some people do use it that way. I was saying I only use gay to refer to one thing.

It's just a word. They can refer to a lot of things, not just one. If someone meant it in an offensive way when referring to someone - then it's out of line. but, to say a song is gay isn't offensive. It's just the English language moving in another direction.

All this PC stuff can sometimes be too much.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I'm really not sure what you mean. That people shouldn't notice offensive language? Or that it's okay to use offensive language, but not to comment on it?

It's not offensive to simply use a word, it's the context in which it's used.

Smoke

Done here.
It's not offensive to simply use a word, it's the context in which it's used.

Precisely. And the context we're talking about stinks. It's offensive. I certainly support every person's right to use whatever language he likes, but I won't pretend that it doesn't inform my opinion of the person who uses it.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Precisely. And the context we're talking about stinks. It's offensive. I certainly support every person's right to use whatever language he likes, but I won't pretend that it doesn't inform my opinion of the person who uses it.

Depends who you ask. Not everyone has the same opinions on what is offensive. There are many comedians who are very popular because they base their humour on taboo topics and their jokes are bordering on the offensive. Not everyone minds that.

Used as an insult - like I have said, yes it's out of line. But, using 'gay' to refer to something other than sexuality, isn't.