• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This news ancor really have understood

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Finally, a person who understands the gun problem in America and what must be done to stop it.
She is my hero of the day.

Laika

Premium Member
Finally, a person who understands the gun problem in America and what must be done to stop it.

We need more people who question their beliefs like that. Just showing some humility rather than be consumed by ego. Its only by connecting with reality and how we feel about it that we can regain sanity in our politics and our society. I still don’t know what that looks like yet but we will only ever find out if we keep looking and keep trying.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Wonder why she didn't mention Chicago? Most stringent gun laws in the country, yet more people are shot and killed here than most anywhere else. Wonder why that is? Could it be that the law abiding citizen in this town doesn't have access to a means of protecting themselves, and the criminal element knows it? I know, I know...guns bad, m'kay. White guys with guns bad, m'kay. The only way to solve this problem is to take away the guns from every law abiding citizen in the US....hmmm...wonder how that will turn out? Hello, Chicago (or Washington DC, or Louisville, or Baltimore, or...well you get the picture).

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Wonder why she didn't mention Chicago? Most stringent gun laws in the country, yet more people are shot and killed here than most anywhere else. Wonder why that is? Could it be that the law abiding citizen in this town doesn't have access to a means of protecting themselves, and the criminal element knows it? I know, I know...guns bad, m'kay. White guys with guns bad, m'kay. The only way to solve this problem is to take away the guns from every law abiding citizen in the US....hmmm...wonder how that will turn out? Hello, Chicago (or Washington DC, or Louisville, or Baltimore, or...well you get the picture).
Thanks for proving we need gun restrictions that aren't a patchwork of counties and cities, easily mitigated by going a dozen miles away, but at a federal level which covers the entire country.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I've never heard of her before now.

I don't know if she's saying anything new, though. It seems like it's just another among a plethora of emotional tirades against guns. However, I'll say that there is some distinction at being a former NRA member who now opposes the NRA.

I was a bit taken aback by her criticism of the NRA and its supporters as "hiding behind the Constitution," and she did make brief allusions to the possibility of changing the Constitution - which would be a necessary step in order to effect serious changes in this country's gun laws.

Much of what I see at present is that too many people would rather engage in political squabbling, yet it also carries a certain hesitancy in wanting to attack any sacred cows, such as the Supreme Court (which rules on the constitutionality of gun laws) and the Constitution.

In other words, no one can "hide behind the Constitution" if the Constitution is changed - and it can be changed, if that's what the people of the US want.

However, I'm not really sure if anyone can truly "understand the gun problem in America." I've seen a lot of people try to crunch numbers and come up with all kinds of statistics. But even that doesn't really tell us much.

Some have pointed to mental health, and to be sure, that's a problem here in the U.S. I know there are plenty of stark raving lunatics in this country; I encounter them every day. I've also noticed a general tendency towards nastiness, along with a certain misanthropic perspective which seems more prevalent.

Americans commonly think of themselves as good-hearted, generous, fair, and committed to justice (although there seems to be disagreement over what constitutes "justice"). Yet at the same time, we also view ourselves as tough, strong, a superpower; we don't have to take crap from anybody.

And being a tough nation, perhaps that also entails being somewhat cold and unemotional about the violence and death. Or at least, a lot of people seem to just accept it as a fact of life. They may not like it, but ni modo.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If I was a criminal , gun-free areas would be my playground.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks for proving we need gun restrictions that aren't a patchwork of counties and cities, easily mitigated by going a dozen miles away, but at a federal level which covers the entire country.
I'm sure that you weren't aware of the horror you just committed.
But you're agreeing with me.
Now don't you feel deep shame?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure that you weren't aware of the horror you just committed.
But you're agreeing with me.
Now don't you feel deep shame?
I'm agreeing with gun reform legislators whom have been saying this for years but if you want to come join me on my seat of sensible government oversight you're welcome to. ;)

BSM1

What? Me worry?

There is a required FBI background check for every gun sold by a licensed dealer in the US. What are you proposing that would be different?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a required FBI background check for every gun sold by a licensed dealer in the US. What are you proposing that would be different?
Neverminding that at least three mass shooting high profile cases came about due to failures of the background check system, and there's considerable revisions to background checks in the works. Even including some bipartisan bills like Fix Nics (which is getting resistance only because NRA tried to pack it with universal concealed carry). The screening would also include things like domestic abuse pattern screening and terror watch (with available court appeal). Restrictions on bump stocks and military style assault weapons and semi-auto weapons, and their ammo.

We could do a whole thread alone on closing background check loopholes since so many gun purchases happen without checks: Firearm Acquisition Without Background Checks | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians
As well as red flag laws which allow the courts to confiscate existing weapons to people who would now fail a background check or who pose imminent danger to themselves or others (especially people on suicide watch.)

shmogie

More centralized power for the federal government, less to the states who regulate for the conditions and people of THEIR state.

I live in a town that is 50% Hispanic and 50% Anglo. I live in a state that is very supportive of gun ownership.

Everyone in my town has firearms.

Yet there are no race wars or murders , no hold ups or home invasions, no rapes or school shootings.

Why is this ?

The standard liberal model that says access to firearms equals murder is proven totally false here, and in numerous other towns in the state.

Let me repeat,THE STANDARD LIBERAL MODEL THAT FIREARMS OWNERSHIP EQUALS KILLING IS PROVEN TO BE AN ABSOLUTE LIE.

So, our access to firearms is to be restricted because of what people thousands of miles away have done.

We are to be ¨controlled¨ because of the total social failures of places far away.

Until the real problem is addressed, the people who abuse firearms, nothing will change. The chimera of doing something because something needs to be done will continue to repeat itself, with little impact on firearm deaths, but extreme impact on the rights of law abiding citizens.

The ultimate plan ?

leov

Very shallow, imo. Consciousness of the disrespectful 'special status' nation must be purified. Sanctity of life is not respected.

shmogie

Neverminding that at least three mass shooting high profile cases came about due to failures of the background check system, and there's considerable revisions to background checks in the works. Even including some bipartisan bills like Fix Nics (which is getting resistance only because NRA tried to pack it with universal concealed carry). The screening would also include things like domestic abuse pattern screening and terror watch (with available court appeal). Restrictions on bump stocks and military style assault weapons and semi-auto weapons, and their ammo.

We could do a whole thread alone on closing background check loopholes since so many gun purchases happen without checks: Firearm Acquisition Without Background Checks | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians
As well as red flag laws which allow the courts to confiscate existing weapons to people who would now fail a background check or who pose imminent danger to themselves or others (especially people on suicide watch.)
In my quarter of a century as a LEO, it was procedure to take people into custody who were a danger to themselves or others for a 72 hour psych. evaluation.

If they are a danger, whether they have access to a firearm is pretty irrelevant. I have seen stabbings, a blow torch used as a weapon,and death by being knocked in the head by a 2X4. If they are a danger, they are a danger.

The fallacy about semi automatic firearms continues in your post. Americans have owned semi automatic firearms for well over a century, They are owned by virtually every firearms owner. Today, they are the most popular and most purchased firearm there is. A so called ¨assault weapon¨, the AR-15 platform, is the most popular hunting rifle in the the US.

The govt. will not confiscate or stop the sale of these firearms easily, to put it mildly.

From a legal perspective, I am very concerned about the violation of protections from unwarranted searches , and seizures of property by so called red flag laws.

What constitutes the probable cause to enter someones home and confiscate their property ? A complaint by a neighbor or ex husband ? What guarantees exist to protect the subject from malicious harassment ?

If the complainer says that the subject tried to run him down with their car, will the car be taken and impounded ?

I support strong background checks, but not ludicrous ones.

As to a background check for every firearms sale, how is that supposed to work ? If I sell one of my rifles to my cousin, how is the government going compel me to go to the time and expense of doing a background check on my cousin ?

How is the government going to ensure that when a member of ANTIFA or the American Nazi party sells a gun to a fellow traveler, a background check is done ?

Will things change in Chicago because gang members are doing background checks on one another as they buy and sell guns ?

Do you think those who smuggle guns in from Mexico for illegal sales are going to do background checks on their customers ?

Until the focus is turned on who and why as relates to firearms crime, and not the objects used, nothing will change.

There are many millions of firearms owners, many millions, who cause no one any problems.

Instead of penalizing and harassing them for the actions of literally a tiny few, why not concentrate on those critically few people, and WHY and WHAT CAUSED them to go off ?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You do realize you're more likely to kill yourself or a family member with your guns than protect yourself from any imagined criminal. How would a right minded person want to take that risk??

BSM1

What? Me worry?

You still haven't really answered my question, nor have you really outlined anything that's not being done already. The Trump administration has already banned the bump stocks which the Obama administration allowed (you can thank him with an email to the White House); so what else specifically can we do to prevent criminals from getting weapons of any type?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You do realize you're more likely to kill yourself or a family member with your guns than protect yourself from any imagined criminal. How would a right minded person want to take that risk??

Have you met my family... just sayin'.